MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

MangaDex Two Year Anniversary

• I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate cryptocurrency to keep it that way.

Votes: 707 15.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex stayed ad-free and I would donate a server ($50-$90/mo) for MangaDex to

Votes: 473 10.2%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used affiliate sponsorship to sustain itself.

Votes: 1,045 22.5%
  • I would prefer that MangaDex used non-intrusive ads to sustain itself.

Votes: 2,424 52.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Contributor
Don't matter anymore. You pull out from MD a whole chapter of a manga (Himenospia 8) because you wont bother to moderate your own board if a flame happens. I donated in the latest 2 years but i will not doing it anymore for this reason.
You claim that you are a website for scanlators but you put restrictions and rules to limit the freedom of the same scanlators works you claim to service, and you do so based only on ethic and people complains (they do not have any rights since they read tons of manga for free and 99% of the time they don't give a cent to support this website or the authors).
Other casual aggregators, have all the chapters of the manga above, they don't care about people comments over meme and original scan content, and this is how you should manage a website for scanlators. This double standard is something i can't accept, hence i'm out till this situation is changed in favor of scanlators, not in favor of some swj or random whiners. Hire more mods, make more optional tools, everything is better than censoring or remove content. This is my personal stance, everything else is in your hands, whatever solution will be taken.

@Nick86: This is a website for manga not for racist and political garbage, all he had to do is keep that stuff on his blog not in his credit page and sometimes as page notes. This site is one of the few sites that don't have pop up ads and therefore the best I come across with Manga4life as a second and they cut out his credit page as well. You hate sjws well I hate hearing and seeing religious and political garbage pushed in my face. I just want to read the manga that might never be seen in the U.S.A..

Contributor
Since I'm a filthy leecher, I'll go with the non-intrusive ads. A central hub for manga is something that lazy leechers like me appreciate greatly (stalking MU is a chore, even if a necessity given recent events).

@Nick86
As much as I agree with you, MD has evolved beyond only a manga hub and has included forums as a central part of it's appeal. And the last quote block in my profile explains what happens to forums, which inevitably bleed over the manga section of the site.
My position on that is that as long as the translation is faithful, the translators can do what they want. It's not as if we're paying them. Still, it goes back to the forums.

If it is not a pop-up hell I’d prefer ads to PayPal.
Patreon would be perfect though. I still can’t understand why White Cloud Pavillion can have a Patreon and MD can’t.

@Nick86 OMG, you are still on that credits page stuff? We already had a long debate about that topic and it has been beat to death...

Anyways, I would prefer crypto and then ads as my vote. I understand the hesitation with crypto but it has become super easy to get into, versus years back with shady banks, lost currency and such.

I am rather ok with ad because i cant donate(the currency gap is so big in my country with dollar)

Ads are fine. It's fine if you want to make a profit out of it. I'm sure people won't mind. Make an add free feature for people who donate. Maybe even try something where people pay a relatively low price a month for ad free. I'm sure people will continue to support you guys and pay for no ads even if the ads aren't even annoying. Just try not to screw the website up. Thanks for reading my suggestion.

As much as i want MD to stay ad-free i cannot deny that I can't support it right now. But if non-intrusive ads would easily meet expenses and turn profit, what about just running ads until yearly expenses are met, then disabling them? They could be reenabled once finances required it. I dont know how much work it would require and I still would want it as a last resort. I hope my idea helps a bit

Fed-Kun's army
Is it just me or it takes about 5 to 10 seconds to load every single page on the new server?
It gets so annoying that whenever I see a new update here.. I head over to other aggregator site to read them.......

I would definitely prefer not to have ads, but unfortunately I don't have a steady income so it would be hard for me to contribute :( I read a few comments mentioning merch? If that's a viable option, I'd love to help out that way. I can even try designing some merch if needed

Contributor
@Memerk - And i don't hate meme and extra pages and i want to read them as part of the scanlator work, so you are selfish since nobody force you to read such content, you just want content removed based on your personal tastes and dictate how scanlators should release their works. Refrain also to quote or criticize me about this matter, you read manga for free and never support nor MD nor the authors, while i often do.

@Aryrha - Didn't knew they pull off a whole chapter, this is very bad.

@kenx - Still they advertise this as a scanlator service, then they just need to admit that is just another aggregator website since they will put in ads soon to keep the infrastructure alive because 99% of this playerbase never donate a cent and Q_Q and whine on a daily basis for every trivial thing.

Aggregator gang
As Nick86 said, probably even more than 99% of the users won't donate a single cent and so it would be back to a few shoulders, if you went with option 1 or 2.

On the other hand I don't have reliable numbers for how many of the people use ad block and are savvy enough to disable them for this site. It could also very well drive a few users away, if you go the ads route, since you advertise yourself as ad-free. And with some groups having pulled out (scanlator drama a few months back) you offer less than other aggregator sites in terms of content, so the only (but big) difference is the community here on MD. Since a filtered ad is a filtered ad (doesn't matter if its on manganelo, kissmanga or some other rather ad heavy sites).

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Nick86 posted:

Still they advertise this as a scanlator service, then they just need to admit that is just another aggregator website
I'm really not sure what you're suggesting here. The service we're "advertising" is a platform and reach to an audience, which we achieve by being an aggregator. It's true that we'd rather avoid using that word because of the baggage and negative connotations it can have, but it's no secret that in the actual meaning of the word we're obviously an aggregator because scanlations are aggregated here.

Regardless, if you want to keep talking about the rule, there's a whole thread dedicated to it as you well know. Discussion about site rules is offtopic in this one. Please avoid derailing it.

Miku best girl
Admin
Having run the poll for a few days now, it's reassuring to see that the majority do not mind the ads route.

That said, it must be emphasised that ads will always remain a last resort, and we will try everything else first.

If the number of people who voted crypto are able to make regular contributions via that route, it would actually be more than enough to cover the costs!

We will be posting some guides and tutorials about crypto in the near future, explaining what they are, how to acquire them safely and securely etc.

Contributor
As much as I would prefer MangaDex to be ad free, I don't have the funds to make monthly donations. Option 3 doesn't sound overly realistic, though maybe companies like J-list would be willing to strike some kind of deal. If so, it'd be the best option imo.
Ultimately, I have to vote for ads. All the other options are better, but they're not really realistic and possibly not sustainable either. Hopefully ads can be limited to guests only.

Thanks for these 2 years! Hopefully the next 2 will be just as great =)

Contributor
@Teasday - Good to hear that you admit you are a mere aggregator website, with ads you finally become one not only in the name but also in the visual, in the past when i used this world one of the admins tell me that they weren't one but a scanlator web service and for this reason you didn't use any ads. Things indeed change.
Anyway, the topic you refer was closed by a mod because, well, for the same reason, people complain about such rules, but it was ok, closing a forum (the cause) is the thing you should have done instead of pull out a whole manga chapter.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Nick86 posted:

Good to hear that you admit you are a mere aggregator website
What, where did I say "mere"? I said we're an aggregator because we fit the technical definition. Never said that's all we are. I even clarified that there's baggage around that word that doesn't fit us, but it looks like you're intentionally trying to just cherrypick the barebones technical definition of an aggregator and using that to smuggle in negative connotations of all other aggregators - exactly what I meant when I said we prefer to avoid using that term. It's like saying that Facebook, Twitter and TikTok are all the same because they are all social networking services. It's true that that's what they are, but there are very obviously differences between them that you'd have to willfully ignore to make the argument.

No idea where you got the idea that being a "scanlator web service" a) is mutually exclusive with being an aggregator, and b) has anything to do with the reason we haven't had ads. The reason is because we haven't needed them, and as long as we don't need them, we won't have them. If the crypto donations work out for us after all, that'd be perfect, but the obvious fact is that for a lot of people that's going to be a hurdle they don't want to climb just to give money away.

I forgot the thread was locked. Either way, we haven't deleted a single chapter based on that rule.

Contributor
@Teasday - You have, i contacted in pm an admin and he tell me that the reason why they remove Himenospia chapter 8, was because the scanlator refuse to remove the meme pages that cause some swj to react, so you erase this chapter altogether.
If it was a mistake then restore the chapter, if it was intentional then is blatant censorship. You can't excape this.

EDIT
Noticed just now that you have completely cancelled all the Rapeman chapt, wow, this is a new milestone in censorship, i really feel bad to myself because i have donated my money to you in the last 2 years, never believe you were able to reach such level.
Kissmanga or other aggregators still have these scans and they do not care about such trivial things because 4 swj complains. Other services respect scans, you not and please such morons. Are you guys really Doki? Or this group doesn't exist anymore? I know some of them from the past and i'm sure they can never do such things to this degree since they were fansubber and scanlators too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread