MangaDex v3 is live, and a general site update!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Group Leader
@Plykiya
The new reader has a max preload of 20 pages

Oh cool, that wasn't the case while I was still using it. Nonetheless, I still read a lot of monthlies (32+ pages), sometimes even 45 pages. It's not so easy to reset my internet when I'm on the toilet with my tablet.

Group Leader
I just want to thank everyone who is involved with this website. The new design looks amazing and I am looking forward to reading more here. xD

Contributor
Oh, i notice now that you guys moved the "Featured titles" at the bottom, imo, is just a useless part of the main page, it just consume bandwidth and is not usefull in that semi-hidden position, is possible add an option to get right of it completely?
The less the main page load and get filled with double informations the better, minimalism and simplicity along a great customization is the key.
The main menù at the top is perfect and from there you already control everything. My2c.

is a Reindeer
VIP
Since it uses thumbnails, each image it loads is about 40 kb :x
it's not as bad on bandwidth as it used to be

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@vwgacc123 posted:

Changing formats and buttons that are universal to all reader sites just so devs can feel like they're being innovative?
I don't know about innovative, I took cues from Japanese online readers and old software comics readers like CDisplayEX and HoneyView. You're right in that it's a move away from the old basic "press image to go forward" html readers that some sites have been clinging on to for the better part of a decade.

@Harry_Dong posted:

Oh cool, that wasn't the case while I was still using it. Nonetheless, I still read a lot of monthlies (32+ pages), sometimes even 45 pages. It's not so easy to reset my internet when I'm on the toilet with my tablet.
Yeah, I can understand your use case. There's really nothing about the new reader itself that wouldn't allow you to preload every single page, since the max number is just a variable I could change any time. When I asked Holo yesterday he figured 20 would be good, if you want to convince him otherwise I'd suggest you do that. Just remember that we're trying to move away from people hammering away at the site and slowing things down with excessive requests, which is why it's kind of unfortunate that people are still going back to the legacy long strip instead suggesting ways to make the new reader work for them.

@Nick86 posted:

Oh, i notice now that you guys moved the "Featured titles" at the bottom, imo, is just a useless part of the main page, it just consume bandwidth
To be fair the thumbnails for that are not even a megabyte in total and if you've downloaded them once they'll stay cached a long time since that list doesn't change often. Bandwidth should be the least of your concerns with it.

Contributor
@Teasday - Well if you said so, however i didn't notice this part existed at all, believe it was trashed, at the bottom is ok and not invasive but i don't know how it can be useful, just this. Anyway everything else is ok.

Ah yes, the "show all" still not a permanent setting, maybe there is a reason for this? Sometimes when i log in i forget that this option is turned off by default and i have to set it again, i can miss updates of some h titles.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Nick86 posted:

Ah yes, the "show all" still not a permanent setting, maybe there is a reason for this?
Yes, it's a measure to prevent ending up on blocklists in some countries, which is what already happened at one point.

Oops, sorry, somehow I read that as "default" setting and not permanent. It is permanent. It's cookie-based to my knowledge, so if you have problems with it, clearing cookies might help.

Another edit: Actually, if you're cleaning your cookies regularly, that's probably exactly why it keeps resetting.

Group Leader
@Teasday
When I asked Holo yesterday he figured 20 would be good, if you want to convince him otherwise I'd suggest you do that. Just remember that we're trying to move away from people hammering away at the site and slowing things down with excessive requests, which is why it's kind of unfortunate that people are still going back to the legacy long strip instead suggesting ways to make the new reader work for them.
Nah, I actually think it's a good idea to keep the new reader as the default, with the same number of preload images as is or even lower, because as you mentioned, it should keep the site from bogging down; in theory at least. It should be fine for most users. I'm probably a unique case as most people I know either have fast or slow internet, but few rarely complain about high frequency of disconnections unless they live in the middle of nowhere, or limited to one ISP having a stranglehold monopoly in their area like they do in my area with aging infrastructure.

As for suggestions off of the top of my head:
I think the legacy reader should remain limited to exclusively registered users with their account, kind of like a more "premium" feature that's not available to casual guests (not unlike the surprisingly high number of apathetic people who still use Internet Explorer/Edge)...Forces them to get a foot through the door so to speak when they have an account. And the more engaged they are with the site and community, the more likely a reader would be inclined to support the site itself to keep feeding the hungry beast. I believe that's called a loss leader in retail business; operating on a negligible loss so that people come in for the deals, and stay for the rest.

Another would be to restrict the number of preload images during the peak traffic times when the site is most likely at a tipping point of going down, or when transitioning/adding to new images servers when the site gets really bogged down and buggy, with the site often going down and up again when it gets bottle-necked.

Uh... remember when I said people would give up learning how to use your new Mangareader? Apparently a lot of people just up and stopped using the site entirely. You guys are bleeding users unbelievably fast.

I just checked your alexa rank for Search Engine Ranking since you guys updated. You guys dropped down a whole bunch of ranks since your V3 update, but more importantly, all your numbers are declining rapidly when they were doing alright 2 days ago so that bleed occurred when you guys updated the Mangareader.

https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/mangadex.com

What got me curious was when I google search Mangadex, I get your twitter and 6 other results show up before the actual website now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mangadex&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Contributor
@Teasday - Yes is cookie based, but i have a portable browser and i reset it very often, is possible to make it a permanent choice like the other settings (legacy reader, countries, etc...)?
If is not something hard to implement and timing consuming of course.

@teasday I switched back to legacy single page because the new reader won't load on my phone. I'd switch back to the whole previous version if I could because I can't tap on chapter titles or names in my follows, and have to go through the manga's main page to select any chapter at all, so there's definitely reasons outside just aversion to change

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@crazybars posted:

Uh... remember when I said people would give up learning how to use your new Mangareader? Apparently a lot of people just up and stopped using the site entirely. You guys are bleeding users unbelievably fast.
1. You're looking at the defunct mangadex.com, not mangadex.org.
2. Apparently there was indeed a bit of a drop in the live users, but reminder that a considerable amount of them come from 3rd party apps as well as scraping bots which broke because they didn't fix their stuff for the beta.

@Thegreatthomas posted:

@teasday I switched back to legacy single page because the new reader won't load on my phone. I'd switch back to the whole previous version if I could because I can't tap on chapter titles or names in my follows, and have to go through the manga's main page to select any chapter at all, so there's definitely reasons outside just aversion to change
We'll try something in the near future (as in today hopefully) to improve reader support for old browsers, we'll have to see how it goes. No idea why you couldn't tap on the titles in the follows, especially since the manga page listings should use the exact same html for their chapter listings. There's nothing special about how the links on follows page work, they're perfectly normal links.

Speaking of the visual look of the follows page on mobile, I'll just comment that I think it was released prematurely.

it doesnt keep the changes you made to the reader, it only saved the disable scroll chapter option.
whenever i log in, i have to always click the fit image and long strip options. meh went back to legacy

and the fact that it doesnt load the entire chapter is troublesome for slow internet connections,
for legacy you could always open a new chapter while reading one.

Is there a way you can make follow-all, work the same as follow-reading.

If you go to follow all, it shows last updated in different languages even if its not in English.
Pretty annoying, and it does not do this on follow reading.

V3 on mobile is such (android) ?
I just swipe to read one page but it auto go to next page, and can't view on windowsphone (v2 better ever)

Group Leader
@Holo what's up with the indentation here?

Screenshot_2018-08-10_10-20-52.png

Also why not put the
Code:
async
and/or
Code:
defer
attributes to use and dump stuff at the top?

I guess it's uh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread