MangaPlus

So you don't want people to miss the latest chapters, and also support the creators in a legal way? Sure, I'm not against it.
What I and also many people don't want is a mass "upload/update" in a short amount of time, which flood the latest page, leading to many many else translations getting ignored.
@Holo Hiding group function demand is born just because of this ridiculous reason, if the staffs decide to add that, then I would kindly ask to add the "Ignore uploader" button too (including moderators); that, or the moderators should consider restricting the upload amount in a day.

I believe the majority of people are okay with linking to mangadex. It's just that they dont express it here. People will more likely to comment when they feel troubled than when they enjoy something.

From the comments, I see that these people have been taking things for granted and they don't care about the authors. Reading something for free legally at the cost of 1 more click is not even a problem. Before mangadex do this, we need to either check the website or download the app to know if there are new releases so this is supposed to be a good move. If you dont like this, just unfollow those manga related to mangadex so you wont get the annoying-link-to-other-site chapters. Beggars can't be choosers after all.

Also I think many people don't even know if M+ is the official site since people don't always read announcement (I'm one of this people but I have been using M+ for a while so I know what's going on). There is even someone who thought that this is a violation of ToS. The solution I can think of is by putting an "official" tag in the chapter releases and beside M+. This will let them know that the chapters are linked to official sites, not some random sites.

Thanks for making this, I already use the Manga+ website, but I've noticed many people don't know much about it. So I really appreciate the fact that you're linking its chapters here.

Lux

Power Uploader
The only problem of MP is that depending on the country not all chapters may be available for many series, in my country for most of them only the first and latest few chapters can be read. I have to access through a proxy to fully use MP like people in other countries do.

Double-page supporter
Is there a way to permanantly ignore posts by this group? I joined Mangadex because I thought I wouldn't have to deal with shit like this. I don't give a fuck if it's "legal" or "supporting the creators". It's asshole behaviour driven by greed and the desire to monoplise distribution, plain and simple, and all it will do is drive people to raise the Jolly Rodger and find other less reputable sites that do host all the missing chapters and don't care about takedown requests. Well done, you played yourselves.

Group Leader
Wow, I really appreciate what you're doing linking your website from here, going as far as reaching out to Mangadex... Maybe I'll never aware of your existence if not for that, thank you very much! ^^

as long as M+ is legit im cool with this.

i mean content creators do need to pay rent/buy food, etc,
and IF they have to do an unrelated 9-5 then their work tends to suffer too much- look at the amount of
(PROFESSIONAL) webcomics that have just 'vanished ' since 2000.
most of the the time it was due to no funds + overwork...

so yeah, an extra click surprised me , but seriously- compare that to KISS (anime/manga which i've blacklisted for my own security)
AAAND those that didnt make the content get paid to comprise your security AAAAAAND they give nothing back to to the content maker
AAAAAND then have the nerve to complain about adblockers AAAAAND then spam this site.....AAAAND...... etc, you get the idea.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Monochrome_Scholar Blacklisting groups in general is a planned feature.

I'm confused what you mean by "monopolizing distribution." MangaDex has never had an edge over other aggregators in terms of content nor are these MangaPlus links an attempt at fixing it. We simply think it's no effort on our part to spread awareness of a free official service. You seem to already know that MangaDex is the only aggregator that doesn't rip and host official content straight from publishers. If you don't care about where the content comes from, I'm not sure what your incentive for using MangaDex was in the first place. MangaDex is meant to be a place where active scanlators have power over their works, where readers can read without worrying about ads, and to improve awareness of official sources. We wouldn't have any content at all without authors or publishers.

I'm not sure how greed plays a part in this, when MangaDex is non-profit and receives no benefit whatsoever from linking to official sources in both the description or with these chapter links.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Monochrome_Scholar posted:

It's asshole behaviour driven by greed and the desire to monoplise distribution, plain and simple
I don't know if you noticed but it's MangaDex staff posting them, MangaPlus themselves have fuckall to do with the links we're posting. They're not doing it, they didn't ask us to do it, and if we were to contact them about it they'd probably tell us to stop (since they'd be required to tell us to stop since our site is entirely illegal regardless of how much we support official content).

Double-page supporter
@Plykiya @Teasday
My mistake, I was under the impression that it was Mangaplus themselves who were causing entire popular series to be practically wiped and then redirecting to their site. If it was Mangadex itself then that simply seems even more baffling and impreceptable to me. As you say yourself, even if you support the authors you are not necessarily a legitimate site, and while I do commend and applaud the fact that you are trying in some way to support the creators and give something back, I just don't feel like this method you've chosen is the best way to do it, and while there are clearly some who support this as seen in this very comment section, I've seen just as many posts here and elsewhere who are pissed off, and honestly in my opinion rightfully so.

As for why I chose to use this site, it was as you mentioned because the majority of scanlation jobs here are of high quality and there are no intrusive ads, but also because it always felt like a place made by and for people who truly love the medium rather than those who simply postulate that way to make a profit, ala Crunchyroll or Fakku, and I suppose your choices in this matter annoyed me because; if you are aware you are not a legitimised site and you really cared about your users and readers, why would you suddenly nuke entire series and link to somewhere else? You should, of course, give people the option to use a legit site, even reccomend it by all means, but the method you've chosen seems less like convincing people or promoting, and more like strong arming, It's not giving people more options, it's forcing them to have less. It's the act of removing that annoys me, for the same reason I was annoyed when all the scanlation teams that chose to leave suddenly pulled all their pre-existing work.

If you don't want to upload new chapters here, fine so be it, but getting rid of all the ones here that already exist is just, quite simply, a dick move.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Monochrome_Scholar

>Why would you suddenly nuke entire series and link to somewhere else?
We never nuked anything as a result of linking MangaPlus. I'm not really sure what to explain since I don't really understand what you mean. I have a vague understanding of your second paragraph that you're implying there's a connection between the scanlators chapters being nuked and the linking of MangaPlus but I could be wrong.

The scanlators pulled out over a month before the MangaPlus linking started. There were zero options to read to read chapters after they pulled out. As you said, people should have more options. But now people had zero options. MangaPlus links added another option, but they aren't a replacement for scanlation. Scanlation for the series that MangaPlus does is still completely allowed. We aren't giving people less options with the MangaPlus links, it's an option that didn't exist before.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
I'm pretty sure we've never nuked anything at all that wasn't by the explicit wishes of the scanlation groups that wanted us to remove their work from MD. Well, other than troll releases, I guess.

As it says in our rules, "the existence of an official translation has no relevance to the rules for uploading scanlated releases." We haven't turned around on that and we have no intention to do so.

Miku best girl
Admin
@Monochrome_Scholar

I think there's been a fundamental misunderstanding here.

The scanlation group(s) in question had long pulled put from MD because they want the users to visit their sites directly. There is no cause and effect between titles getting nuked and M+ linking.

Double-page supporter
@Plykiya @Holo @Teasday
If that's true then I have misunderstood that aspect and I sincerely apologise. I haven't checked some of the big name series in a while, so I didn't realise how many of them the scanlation teams who left were responsible for, I just saw the pages with a bunch of missing enries other than the three latest chapters linking to Mangaplus and assumed the worst. On that note, since the latest chapters are being linked off site, out of curiosity does that proclude anyone from uploading scanlations of those chapters in the future, or will Mangaplus be the only option for those series from now on?

Also, sorry if any of my comments came off as a little harsh or blunt, just stuff like this really gets on my nerves, the idea of restricting someone's access to enjoy something just because of location, money, or copyright, although being essentially a pirate, I guess I'm in no position to complain. I hope I didn't irritate you too much with my miunderstanding.

You guys do a great job with the site, it's honestly the best one I've seen for manga, and I appreciate you getting back to me about this.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@Monochrome_Scholar Is no problem, we've always been open to answering questions

>out of curiosity does that proclude anyone from uploading scanlations of those chapters in the future, or will Mangaplus be the only option for those series from now on?
To quote my reply, "MangaPlus links add another option, but they aren't a replacement for scanlation. Scanlation for the series that MangaPlus does is still completely allowed." Yes, scanlation groups can still upload to the series.

The reason that no groups are doing so, is because a majority of groups will not bother working on series that are licensed. There's even less incentive since it's being released for free on MangaPlus. MangaPlus series get released simultaneously with the Japanese release, that's about as fast as you could ever want. Jaimini's Box and MangaStream are two groups who scanlate Shonen Jump (MangaPlus) series, but they release 3 days ahead of even the Japanese release because they're being provided with the raws before it's even available for purchase. Neither group uploads to MangaDex.

They upload chapters here just to link those chapters to their own website. Pretty stupid. That website is blocked in several countries too so good one Mangadex. Just delete their "chapters"

Users who are viewing this thread