March Comes in Like a Lion - Vol. 15 Ch. 162 - Path (2)

The chapter was mighty short this time.

Anyway, thanks for the translation, as usual!

This is an intense Game, so Tanaka is going to try to avenge his apprentice.
I can’t remember the last time Someone gave Rei this much trouble during a match, I wonder if he can turn this around some how.
If I remember correctly, since getting promoted to B2 Rei has been on a winning streak in his ranked matches. Once again thanks so much for the chapter and translations, you guys rock.

@sanamida well it would be his first loss since entering B2, so he still has a chance to get promoted if he can keep on winning his other matches.
But if he loses that means he’s out of the Lion King tournament correct ?

Yes... I understand.
YOU don't understand the shogi.
what are you talking about, I've been following this mango for years now, of course I understand shogi at this point.
just like how I understand mahjong after reading saki or how I should have a degree in being doctor by now after reading doctor koto.

3-Gatsu is about shogi as much as K-On is about music. Not really the main theme nor do you have to understand it to fully appreciate it

If Rei does lose I would love to see how he takes this loss.
I don’t see a repeat of what happened when he loss to shimada, but maybe we will see him change his shogi style.

If he loses here, his ranked match record wouldn't suffer anything. His record for Lion King tournament instead is going to suffer. Afaik how players seeded in Lion King tournament is the result of the previous tournament

Dex-chan lover
I for once don't mind Rei losing, it was a nice change of pace and he has room for growing.

I Think this is the first time I've seen tanaka look so intimidating, usually he's very calm/funny looking.

At this point I want to see Rei just crush his way to a title match, and then be way in over his head. And to see more of his interactions with Hina.

Dex-chan lover
@ykyrlv A title is still out of reach for him. He is only a 4-dan. There are a lot of strong opponents. He needs to reach Shimada level first.

@miyako19 I said get to a title match, not win a title.

Also, it says in this chapter that Rei is a 6-dan.

It's actually really common in sports for a new, rising star/team to shoot past expectations and get really far in playoffs or whatever, then completely collapse because they don't know how to handle the pressure of the new level they've risen to. I don't think it's unreasonable for a 6-dan prodigy to get into their first high level match (and then get crushed.)

In the real world there are example of prodigies winning titles even though they were younger than Rei (like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C5%8Dta_Fujii ). I don't see it happening here though, expecially not in the Lion King tournament... maybe a less important one.

Aggregator gang
Rei's being bodied by Tanaka-San. I think will be a nice change of pace because it's been awhile since he lost and he always comes stronger for the next time. It is only natural that he gains more experience before using his overwhelming talent to its full potential.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation.
'They just keep coming.' Oof. My heart. :(

You all seem to forget how he got crushed in his first match in that tournament where Nikaido played Souya.

Double-page supporter
@sanamida well it would be his first loss since entering B2, so he still has a chance to get promoted if he can keep on winning his other matches.
But if he loses that means he’s out of the Lion King tournament correct ?
But this is a tournament entry match, not a rank placement match. I think the two are mutually exclusive. Someone else pointed this out, but figured I'd reiterate.

@ykyrlv A title is still out of reach for him. He is only a 4-dan. There are a lot of strong opponents. He needs to reach Shimada level first.
As someone else pointed out, Rei is a 6-dan. He was 4-dan when he first became a pro, but that's the entrypoint for all pros, if I recall correctly. He's advanced in rank at least twice since then.

To clarify, 4-dan is the same thing as saying he was in Class C Rank 2 (C-2), and he rather readily moved up to C-1 (aka 5-dan), but then stalled for a year due to aimlessness (it's when he had three straight losses in his ranking matches, and then got psychologically assaulted by Kyoko, probably because she saw it as an opportunity to make him forfeit matches and drop himself in rank to hurt him... but he defied expectations and managed to keep winning and maintain rank), before pushing ahead last year to advance to B-2 and 6-dan.

This year, he's up for advancing to 7-dan and B-1.

Also worth noting he's faced A-ranks successfully, such as his battle against Fujimoto Raidou where he spilled the beans about his 'fiancee' to his fellow pros.

Users who are viewing this thread