Mato Seihei no Slave - Vol. 13 Ch. 99 - End of the Chaos

Dex-chan lover
I thought we were on a time skip since the Third Unit Chief looks like the loli from Seventh Unit but grown up.

Dex-chan lover
Mmmmm new Mato chapter. Finally moving on with the story. This was the big bad vs big good arc so I think the next arc would be a bit more mellowed down with more ecchi. But why is this suddenly tagged as Erotica? I think this falls under "Suggestive" not Erotica because it doesn't have any sex in it.
Suggestive means stuff like panty flashes, nudity and what not.
Erotica means sexual acts including but not limited to actual sex acts.

No? What did you expect from the Head Chief of the Mato unit? That's like getting upset if a Hokage or the Head Captain one shots some lackys.

She has yet to fight any "main villain" even Fubuki had an easy time with taking out one of the followers and she was NAKED and UNPREPARED.

Also comparing her to Superman like the way you did is kinda stupid..she isn't supposed to be Superman, like she has his likeness but she's 100% not supposed to be like Clark. She's closer to Mamika than fucking Superman 😭
What do I expect? I expect a character with a reasonable ability that isn't literally controlling the entire goddamn universe. Even the space-manipulator chief isn't as powerful, and likely has weaknesses that can be used against her. Rin? No weaknesses, and we haven't seven seen all of her powers. It's ridiculous. So much for stakes to the action. Even Superman has kryptonite and a moral code to create drama. We're not getting drama or anything resembling stakes from Rin. Anyone who is even going to stand a chance against her is going to have to be nothing less than the creator of the freaking universe.
The Superman comparison was obviously to draw parallels to a character who people (ignorantly) assume is uninteresting because he is so powerful. Unlike Superman, Rin is actually uninteresting because of her insane power level.
In general, I have a big problem with the power scaling of this series, and many other shounen, where being better than the opponent means that you're untouchably powerful, not that you can outthink the opponent, or that you have better technique. It's not great writing.

Though I agree with the notion of OP characters are mostly boring, which is exactly why I dropped reading slime tensei, overlord, Re:monster, and most series with OP MC. However, I disagree. Ren has her appeal in the fact that she's haughty and arrogant. There's a saying the bigger they are the harder they fall, so the bigger the head, the more satisfying it is to watch them fall. We get a taste of that in chapter 57 and 65.5. Aside from that, she also has the same appeal that Makima has, in that she's a cool and controlling woman who can and will bend you to her will and appreciate you as an owner would for their pet. Now that may not be appealing to you but some people are in to that.
Ren is also pretty developed enough with what few appearances she make. We know she's the Mato defence's chief, she's haughty and arrogant, she's she really likes dogs
(to the point of viewing yuuki as a pet)
, Probably has a superiority complex and can't handle humiliation. That's plenty of development for someone who appears for less than 20 chapters.
Compare Ren to the eight's chief, Varvara Pilipenko whom we know nothing aside from being a chief and probably doesn't like men/boys, or Bell Tsukiyono who is a crybaby and gets abused bullied by Ren and thats it.
It's okay to be biased against Ren but to say she's barely a character (in comparison to other underdeveloped characters) is simply not true.
That's the thing: 99 chapters in, I would have expected her to be humbled by at least somebody in some way, but not only has she not, no one has even come close to challenging her. I don't care if that kind of character is popular with some people, it's simply bad writing. It has me wondering: if it hasn't happened by how, will it ever? I don't know. Maybe that's not the author's intention, in which case she will go on being an insufferably arrogant and OP character.
What you described are "character traits," not "character development." Perhaps her realization of secretly wanting to be dominated is "character development," but beyond that, there's not much to her at all.
I don't know about you, but from my experience, a character is generally disliked for arrogance. The character has to be really special for it to come off as likable and endearing, and that's not how I would describe Rin.

@darkmatter923
[What you described are "character traits," not "character development." ]
My main point was she isn't "barely a character" as you implied in your first post. She may not get development as you would like it, but I am arguing she has meat to her character. She has a character (haughty and arrogant), history (outstanding achievement while growing up), desires (turning Yuuki in to a pet), flaws (superiority complex), quirks (loves dogs) and many more.
You also need to understand that development requires her to appear more often. Kyouka has a lot of development going on with her (particularly in regards to Yuuki) but she has plenty of screen time for that development to happen.
Ren however only appears for a handful of time, and much of her some of that is only for a few panels in a chapter. So i think it's ridiculous to demand major character development when she only appears for less than 20 chapters.

[Perhaps her realization of secretly wanting to be dominated is "character development," but beyond that, there's not much to her at all.]
I disagree with your notion that character development is only the changing of character traits. Development could also be adding and subtracting traits to a character, or adding a perspective of a character trait. Take Yachio for example, at first she's shown to look down at Himari(ch 11). She learns to respect Himari's abilities (ch 15, reinforced in ch 36). Then we learn Yachio actually cares deeply of her sister (ch 22). And that she's actually has been trying to protect Himari since they were little (ch 60 and 66). Yachio has gotten a lot of character traits added through out the series, but if we use your definition of character development, then she's only had one development which you would define as "barely a character". Which isn't true at all since character traits are being added to her over the course of the series, which makes her developed in my eyes.
The same goes for Ren. We are introduced to her in ch 46, She is self assured, cruel and haughty (ch 47), can act childish (ch 51), loves pets (ch 55), is an over achiever (ch 57), cannot stand being humiliated (ch 57 and 65.6), well connected and trusts her subordinates (ch 78), deeply cares for her subordinate... or is very controlling (ch 100). Note that there is no change in her character traits but a lot of character traits has been added to her. So Ren is a very fleshed out character in my eyes.

[That's the thing: 99 chapters in, I would have expected her to be humbled by at least somebody in some way]
She first made her debut in chapter 46, so technically she's around for 53 chapters, and she did get humbled by Yuuki in chapter 57. Perhaps you meant beaten in combat.
[ but not only has she not, no one has even come close to challenging her .]
Well, it's worth noting that Ren is the apex of the Mato defense force, if she's defeated shortly after she's introduced (say in 20 chapters) then the pacing would get out of whack. Remember during the 57 chapter after she's released, the series lore has been expanded. We are introduced to the other squads, we get development for ( a few) major characters, one of the 8 gods of thunder is defeated, and we are introduced to the other gods of thunder. If Ren was defeated shortly after Yuuki "humbled" her, then a lot of that development had to be cut because the author has to first introduce the new threat, Show the new threat defeated Ren, Yuuki has to gain a power spike to beat the new threat, and now the power creep has gone to ridiculous proportion in a span of a few chapters.

[It has me wondering: if it hasn't happened by how, will it ever? ]
The new arc introduced in chapter 100 does promise to contain Ren's "humbling" you want so much, so fingers cross for that to happen.

[a character is generally disliked for arrogance. ]
Ever heard of Rick and Morty? Rick is insufferably arrogant, but ...

[The character has to be really special for it to come off as likable and endearing, and that's not how I would describe Rin.]
He has other character traits that help him become endearing to the audience, particularly being smart and competent, he cares deeply for Morty, and he is deep in nihilism.
But what about Ren? Due to Ren not being a major character, she doesn't get as much screentime as Rick, however she has potential. Sure she may come off as unlikable, but not unredeemable. She hasn't done anything absolutely terrible. It is inevitable that her arrogance and recklessness will cost her. And I don't doubt that Yuuki will help her get back on her feet, hopefully endearing her to us in the process. I understand this isn't a solid argument. But give her time, the author has made several solid characters, and I wouldn't doubt Ren can become one too.

[I don't care if that kind of character is popular with some people, it's simply bad writing. ]
Conflating personal opinion as objective fact aside, I think you're wrong. She's not badly written, she has an appropriate amount of character traits for the amount of screen time she gets. And she has potential to become a well written character.​

Aggregator gang
It's all about war, ero, gods, ero, boobs, ero, slave, ero, boobs, ero, battle, ero, ability, boobs, mato, boobs, ero. It's lit. Boobs.

@darkmatter923
[What you described are "character traits," not "character development." ]
My main point was she isn't "barely a character" as you implied in your first post. She may not get development as you would like it, but I am arguing she has meat to her character. She has a character (haughty and arrogant), history (outstanding achievement while growing up), desires (turning Yuuki in to a pet), flaws (superiority complex), quirks (loves dogs) and many more.
You also need to understand that development requires her to appear more often. Kyouka has a lot of development going on with her (particularly in regards to Yuuki) but she has plenty of screen time for that development to happen.
Ren however only appears for a handful of time, and much of her some of that is only for a few panels in a chapter. So i think it's ridiculous to demand major character development when she only appears for less than 20 chapters.

[Perhaps her realization of secretly wanting to be dominated is "character development," but beyond that, there's not much to her at all.]
I disagree with your notion that character development is only the changing of character traits. Development could also be adding and subtracting traits to a character, or adding a perspective of a character trait. Take Yachio for example, at first she's shown to look down at Himari(ch 11). She learns to respect Himari's abilities (ch 15, reinforced in ch 36). Then we learn Yachio actually cares deeply of her sister (ch 22). And that she's actually has been trying to protect Himari since they were little (ch 60 and 66). Yachio has gotten a lot of character traits added through out the series, but if we use your definition of character development, then she's only had one development which you would define as "barely a character". Which isn't true at all since character traits are being added to her over the course of the series, which makes her developed in my eyes.
The same goes for Ren. We are introduced to her in ch 46, She is self assured, cruel and haughty (ch 47), can act childish (ch 51), loves pets (ch 55), is an over achiever (ch 57), cannot stand being humiliated (ch 57 and 65.6), well connected and trusts her subordinates (ch 78), deeply cares for her subordinate... or is very controlling (ch 100). Note that there is no change in her character traits but a lot of character traits has been added to her. So Ren is a very fleshed out character in my eyes.

[That's the thing: 99 chapters in, I would have expected her to be humbled by at least somebody in some way]
She first made her debut in chapter 46, so technically she's around for 53 chapters, and she did get humbled by Yuuki in chapter 57. Perhaps you meant beaten in combat.
[ but not only has she not, no one has even come close to challenging her .]
Well, it's worth noting that Ren is the apex of the Mato defense force, if she's defeated shortly after she's introduced (say in 20 chapters) then the pacing would get out of whack. Remember during the 57 chapter after she's released, the series lore has been expanded. We are introduced to the other squads, we get development for ( a few) major characters, one of the 8 gods of thunder is defeated, and we are introduced to the other gods of thunder. If Ren was defeated shortly after Yuuki "humbled" her, then a lot of that development had to be cut because the author has to first introduce the new threat, Show the new threat defeated Ren, Yuuki has to gain a power spike to beat the new threat, and now the power creep has gone to ridiculous proportion in a span of a few chapters.

[It has me wondering: if it hasn't happened by how, will it ever? ]
The new arc introduced in chapter 100 does promise to contain Ren's "humbling" you want so much, so fingers cross for that to happen.

[a character is generally disliked for arrogance. ]
Ever heard of Rick and Morty? Rick is insufferably arrogant, but ...

[The character has to be really special for it to come off as likable and endearing, and that's not how I would describe Rin.]
He has other character traits that help him become endearing to the audience, particularly being smart and competent, he cares deeply for Morty, and he is deep in nihilism.
But what about Ren? Due to Ren not being a major character, she doesn't get as much screentime as Rick, however she has potential. Sure she may come off as unlikable, but not unredeemable. She hasn't done anything absolutely terrible. It is inevitable that her arrogance and recklessness will cost her. And I don't doubt that Yuuki will help her get back on her feet, hopefully endearing her to us in the process. I understand this isn't a solid argument. But give her time, the author has made several solid characters, and I wouldn't doubt Ren can become one too.

[I don't care if that kind of character is popular with some people, it's simply bad writing. ]
Conflating personal opinion as objective fact aside, I think you're wrong. She's not badly written, she has an appropriate amount of character traits for the amount of screen time she gets. And she has potential to become a well written character.​
Nobody cares even slightly about your mid ass opinion you wrote a whole story about how bad she is as a character and expect it to be a universal truth. She is not written badly just shut the fk up and stop downplaying the author I bet if you made a character she would be 10x worst than even sakura and hinata from Naruto so why you hating on someone else hard work? I literally despise shit for brains like you

Nobody cares even slightly about your mid ass opinion you wrote a whole story about how bad she is as a character and expect it to be a universal truth. She is not written badly just shut the fk up and stop downplaying the author I bet if you made a character she would be 10x worst than even sakura and hinata from Naruto so why you hating on someone else hard work? I literally despise shit for brains like you
You're barking at the wrong tree my dude, I made a whole short essay why Ren Yamashiro is a (at worst) decently written character and indirectly defending the author's work.

Users who are viewing this thread