Meikyuu Black Company

Contributor
Quick reminder that Seven Seas has licensed this series under the name The Dungeon of Black Company, with the first volume releasing in May.

If you like this series, please make sure to support the official release.

Awful translation, I can't wait for the official release ...

``f you can find chapter 10 of Meikyuu Black Company on mangadex then pls tell them to delete it, of course i've messaged the uploader
that chapter was uploaded to read.lhtranslation just to check the error and it has already been deleted from our site`` forwarding it

Yo dawg, i heard you like isekai so we made an isekai plot inside an isekai story so you can enjoy isekai while you read isekai

He just got double isekai'd. Honestly, I expected Inception theme music to start playing.

This could easily be set on Earth; it's basically just about someone who takes risks to get big rewards. The isekai elements are shallow and meaningless to the story.

Dex-chan lover
Another loli that needs growing........Oh well, with how sexy adult Rim is, that won't be a problem

Contributor
@Hexador If the mangaka wanted to make a story about someone who takes big risks for big rewards, but in a fantasy setting, I can see where it being an isekai would be helpful, as that kind of mentality in said setting would likely get someone killed well before they've got the hang of how to do those kinds of activities and minimize the risk. However, in our world, the MC's manner of doing things isn't too uncommon, so when he is thrown into a situation where he basically has nothing and knows almost nothing, and see how he will adapt & use the skills he honed in our world to climb out of a pit & to the top in a different world with different rules.

Tl;dr, You dismissed this series in 2 short sentences, evidence that you didn't do much critical thinking to arrive at your opinion of this series.

@Sheogorath85 ; My main point is that this isn't a fantasy setting. Yes, it has goblins and shit, but all of the fantasy elements are overshadowed by the fact that the fantasy world is modernizing (this development is literally part of the "plot"). Meaning that all the fantasy elements that are interesting in an economically and technologically underdeveloped world are meaningless to the point that this new world the MC was sent to is actually just Earth but with furry eared people and dragon girls and some weird technology called "magic".

The manga has a fairly clear theme of criticizing and satirizing modern working culture, seen in the way the MCs boss is a goblin (an inherently evil and pathetic creature in almost all fantasy iterations) who legitimately feels one should work until it kills them. Additionally, the MC is clearly meant to be sympathetic to those who have been on the receiving end of the real-world version of the goblin foreman (salarymen and women) as he strives to do what they often wish they could but feel is unrealistic (a fantasy). Couldn't that theme be made clearer and more interesting if the foreman was just a normal person with a ridiculous personality and the MC was in an Earth setting but still struggling to obtain that dream? Why not just set the story on Earth and replace all of the fantasy elements with Earth ones? As it stands, the fantasy elements just seem like a passive-aggressive way to portray CEOs as demons and middle-management as goblins. Yes, magic exists, but it's so common the people of the world literally mine it out of the ground like coal. Yes, dragons exist, but they are reasonable and can be bribed with food.

So, when you suggest that the story will be interesting because of the MC struggling to learn how to achieve the same goal he had on Earth, but not knowing how to go about doing so, forgive me if I roll my eyes. My point has clearly gone over your head.

Dex-chan lover
@Hexador Fantasy elements make modern life more interesting for most, and almost all fiction can be broken down into interchangeable settings.

Dex-chan lover
The Protagonist is really unlikable. Also I just have to go to work if I want to see bad working conditions, dont need a manga for that.

MCM

I can't help but having Midnight Oil's song Blue Sky Mine playing in my mind while reading this ?

Users who are viewing this thread