Mezametara Saikyou Soubi to Uchuusenmochi Datta node, Ikkodate Mezashite Youhei toshite Jiyuu ni Ikitai - Vol. 8 Ch. 40.1

Dex-chan lover
They did their damnedest to make the "dwarves" appear as tall as possible in the manga huh? Well we'll see what they did to tina and wiska soon enough i guess.
How tiny are they supposed to be in the novel?

Dex-chan lover
They look like little kids (8-10), until
he beds the twins, which he does reluctantly because they look like kids despite being his age
in the book, and then their description permanently changes to miniature adults.

Quite frankly, I'm actually happy the mangaka has made these changes (aging their appearance so they look like miniature adults in the first place). Mimi is significantly taller in the manga as well (she's one head height shorter than Elma in the LN).

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
There is a nice little game on Steam I recommend called "House of the Dying Sun", and in it you basically pilot a small strike craft to carry out hit-and-run attacks. As the game progresses, you eventually expand your fleet to include other strike craft, and even larger ships (tho i dont remember specifically what class of ship). Those ships are AI-controlled, and I always tell the larger ships to stay at maximum range and provide long-range fire support. I imagine Mei is planning the same for Skibladnir, as she seemed to favor large-bore laser cannons, if the previous chapters are anything to go by.

Also, wait up, armor generators? Is that a mistranslation or does this universe have regenerative armor plating?

Dex-chan lover
:pepehmm:i guess, to the space dwarves, the Krishna is pretty much like a legendary weapon.
if they can't outright own it, they'll look at it in every possible angles in order to replicate it.

Reactions: le3
This should give you a good comparison

Screenshot_4.png

But if not, there is this
Screenshot_11.png

see how Wiska head barely reach Hiro's lower false rib? They are basically almost half the height of Mimi.

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_11.png

see how Wiska head barely reach Hiro's lower false rib? They are basically almost half the height of Mimi.
[/SPOILEInwouldn put to much weight on how the LN artist

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_11.png

I wouldn’t put too much weight on the LN art. Even in that picture Mimi’s eyes are the wrong color. And they totally screwed up Chris when she’s shown. Basically made her a dwarf too. And added a stupid looking hat that’s nowhere in the book. I think the manga is FAR better in some aspects. Though I do really like the LN Elma. They did her perfectly

Dex-chan lover
Or... They are scanning the new ship to determine if it is a pirate ship. If simply scanning a ship was illegal, then there would be vastly more "shoot first" scenarios, as that would be the only way to determine the intention of the other ship.
Without being able to scan the ship for, say, ID and, by extension, allegiance you would have no way to determine if they were, for example, pirates.

What they are doing constitutes harassment, but only to the point of someone today videoing or taking pictures of another's car/truck, which certainly isn't illegal (at least not on public property, which is basically any paved road, except driveways, which aren't roads).
Now, if their scanning goes so far as to read their cargo? That could potentially be illegal. But getting the architecture of the ship and module/weapon information, not so much. Understanding the combat capabilities of those around you, in situations like this, is more of a safety precaution than a sign of aggression. And disallowing that would put everyone at risk.

Again, harassment, due to the number of people doing it and the (implied) length of time they are doing it for. But it's clearly stated that his ship is unique in this universe, and that the people doing it are engineers curious about this unique ship that has shown up in their work area. It would be like saying someone can shoot another for asking (far) too many questions about their modified car.
Not a perfect analogy since the only real world equivalent is the picture/video one, and then Google-ing what was captured.

Ok. Enough wall of text.
This is more like locking someone with a targeting radar or something. Transponders are active emitters, but the kind of scan that can see cargo is different from a simple radar sweep, and much much much more intrusive

Dex-chan lover

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_11.png

I hate this image so much.
Honestly I sorta had some respect for the author for not leaning too hard into the harem thing, and getting the only questionable character out of the picture.
But this here is flat out unsettling, they look like flat out kids

Dex-chan lover
This is more like locking someone with a targeting radar or something. Transponders are active emitters, but the kind of scan that can see cargo is different from a simple radar sweep, and much much much more intrusive
Forgive me, I didn't get the impression that they were specifically scanning his cargo, but instead the ship. The way they did it was certainly intrusive, scanning it for engineering details, but that doesn't automatically mean they are scanning his cargo.

If that isn't what you meant, I apologize for misreading your meaning.

Dex-chan lover
Forgive me, I didn't get the impression that they were specifically scanning his cargo, but instead the ship. The way they did it was certainly intrusive, scanning it for engineering details, but that doesn't automatically mean they are scanning his cargo.

If that isn't what you meant, I apologize for misreading your meaning.
yeah I meant that, but a total engineering scan is also super intrusive.
Imagine if everyone had an x-ray camera on the street, and started taking pictures of you

Dex-chan lover
Maybe if it were just the law enforcement of that area scanning the ship, but when it's every Tom, Dick, and Harry, that's an issue. These are just random engineers though.

Pirates scanned his ship in the early chapters, it can get all the info including cargo. To put it in perspective, this would be like every person you walk past on the street getting all the physical information about you and anything related to your identity. It would be nearly impossible to determine which of them have dubious intentions. I'd suspect all of them.
There is (I mean obviously) a clear difference in technology levels. Today, you can really only read a person's license plate, and then look up any available information online. Or the make and model of their vehicle. If you notice that the vehicle is significantly different than anything available on the market, and your interest is in engineering, you may be inclined to take a closer and more detailed look.
With today's technology, without getting physical, what one can discern about a vehicle is limited. With detailed "scanning" technology it (theoretically) would be possible to create blueprints for the vehicle that you could then study in detail. If your profession is engineering, or you are just very interested in it, and the thing you just "pinged" is unique, you may be more interested in getting a structural analysis of it.

Is it disconcerting? Certainly. Should it be illegal? Only if you believe that looking at someone else's vehicle today, for more than enough time to read the license plate, should also be illegal.
Yes, it is more involved than simply "looking" in today's terms. They are given more details on the vehicle than most people could get without touching (because the inner working are blocked by the vehicle's hood), but even today it is possible to see (at least some of) the cargo of a vehicle even without touching it, simply by peering through the windows, which isn't illegal. One would likely be yelled at for getting too close to, and being too interested in the other person's vehicle, but unless it is on private property you literally cannot stop someone from looking. Disconcerning? Sure. Illegal? No.

I put forward that, should humans ever develop technology to scan things and collect detailed information from them, and especially if we ever have personal space ships, it should definitively NOT be made illegal to use the technology on other ships. They will move far too fast and at far too great a distance for anyone to get any useful information from sight alone. The very thought of getting ANY useful info through eyes alone is insane. And relying on transmission of relevant information has already proven to be dismissable. Just look up any current technology to spoof or otherwise impede accurate collection of "transmitted" information (such as license plates).
It would only be the level of scanning that should be questionable, and even then only as reportable as someone hovering around a vehicle in today's world. (Depending on location, probably want to get the police involved, but going physical/violent immediately would be the same overreaction as it would now)

Again, wall of text. I know, and I'm sorry.

Dex-chan lover
yeah I meant that, but a total engineering scan is also super intrusive.
Imagine if everyone had an x-ray camera on the street, and started taking pictures of you
ABSOLUTELY! Never did I mean to imply otherwise.
However I would disagree about the comparison. If we had cameras that were capable of getting cross sections of things arbitrarily (like a CAT scan) and used them on people that would be one thing (and with the limited technology today, probably quite deadly, if not immediately, then over time due to cancer). But the idea of "scanning" technology that is presented in interstellar science fiction is much more comparable to Google Glass than an X-ray camera. So, with that comparison in mind, a full structural scan would be equivalent to someone taking multiple pictures, from varying angles and distances.
Absolutely, utterly, undeniably intrusive. But not (yet) illegal. Google Glasses, the normal looking glasses with built in camera were made illegal not because videoing people in the streets is illegal, but because they were virtually impossible to notice as a camera from a distance, and therefore could be covertly used to take recordings that ARE illegal without being caught.

So, yes, we both agree that it is utterly intrusive. I never meant to imply otherwise.

Dex-chan lover
ABSOLUTELY! Never did I mean to imply otherwise.
However I would disagree about the comparison. If we had cameras that were capable of getting cross sections of things arbitrarily (like a CAT scan) and used them on people that would be one thing (and with the limited technology today, probably quite deadly, if not immediately, then over time due to cancer). But the idea of "scanning" technology that is presented in interstellar science fiction is much more comparable to Google Glass than an X-ray camera. So, with that comparison in mind, a full structural scan would be equivalent to someone taking multiple pictures, from varying angles and distances.
Absolutely, utterly, undeniably intrusive. But not (yet) illegal. Google Glasses, the normal looking glasses with built in camera were made illegal not because videoing people in the streets is illegal, but because they were virtually impossible to notice as a camera from a distance, and therefore could be covertly used to take recordings that ARE illegal without being caught.

So, yes, we both agree that it is utterly intrusive. I never meant to imply otherwise.
This is an interesting conversation. Technically it wouldn't be illegal because there is no known designer for Krishna and thus no known military classifying it. But, as is in reality, military ships are classified, and if the dwarves were to try and scan an unknown military ship, they'd probably be told to stop if they don't want to be shot down.

It's not a big deal for them in the long run because even after the engineers strip the ship apart, the generator and laser blasters are so advanced they couldn't reverse-engineer them, so Krishna's superiority for its size won't be beat by the company offering a reverse-engineered option to other space mercenaries or militaries.

Dex-chan lover
There is a nice little game on Steam I recommend called "House of the Dying Sun", and in it you basically pilot a small strike craft to carry out hit-and-run attacks. As the game progresses, you eventually expand your fleet to include other strike craft, and even larger ships (tho i dont remember specifically what class of ship). Those ships are AI-controlled, and I always tell the larger ships to stay at maximum range and provide long-range fire support. I imagine Mei is planning the same for Skibladnir, as she seemed to favor large-bore laser cannons, if the previous chapters are anything to go by.

Also, wait up, armor generators? Is that a mistranslation or does this universe have regenerative armor plating?
Mistranslation. Should probably be "shield generators" or "armor and generators".

Dex-chan lover
"Me who's been playing Starsector too much"
Probably a patrol trying to scan for contrabands because his suspicion level is extreme for buying fuel and supplies in the black market because screw the 30% tariff :meguusmug:
UNGP rules for the world. "No I did not by anything from the black market, you're imagining things"
But honestly considering the characterization of the funny Space ChildrenDwarfs I think it's really just a case of.
Dwarf: "Huh weird ship <scans> WAIT WHAT THE HELL IS THIS GUYS GUYS RARE TECH!"
Every other Dwarf in 17 Light years radius: "WHAT WHERE!?"

Dex-chan lover
But this here is flat out unsettling, they look like flat out kids
Seeing that Sara and Mimi is made taller (at least they look like they are taller) you shouldn't worry too much with them looking too much like a kid in the manga.

Dex-chan lover
You do know that there is still a difference look wise between a underaged girl, and a short women? Just because they are short doesn't mean undeveloped.
Honestly this is an endless debate really. And a losing one as somehow everything below 160cm is magically a child these days going by the English speaking internet (which is barely below the average for European woman but they don't care). Granted the Space Dwarf design in this case is clearly intended to be "Legal Loli" but it's also a fictional Alien so who cares really.

Dex-chan lover
if you read this reply on page 4, scroll up and you will see how tall they are supposed to be (while not really accurate since the artist kinda botched the art) in the novel. But in general, they are supposed to be as tall as elementary school kid. The manga tries to make them look older, middle schooler at least.

Users who are viewing this thread