Mieruko-chan - Vol. 3 Ch. 22

XL

Double-page supporter
Meiruko: I've used up my free bodyguard tickets.
Ghosts 1: It's free real estate.
Ghosts 2: It's free real estate.
Ghosts 3: It's free real estate.
Ghosts 4: It's free real estate.

Double-page supporter
It's worth noting that in the raws, Miko just said: もう自由にしてあげて instead of the "It's time for you to let him be free." in the translation here.

The orignal Japanese text kept the intended recepient more ambiguous as this was a message that worked as directed to both Zen and the spirit of his mother. I personally would've translated it as "It's time to let go". In Zen's perspective, it would come off as Miko telling him to let go of his guilt. And from the spirit's perspective, it's Miko telling the spirit to fuck off and let her son live his life.

The translation makes it come off that Miko is speaking to the spirit directly here, which I suppose she is, but as far as Zen is concerned, there's only the two of them in the room. And this just makes it seem that Miko was talking to someone else in that room in his perspective.

Mr. Zen is still very mysterious, there is still some points that I can’t explain, so I don’t completely trust him yet. Like, why Zen dumped the food given by the neighbor to the trash can... Just hope that Miko’s sacrifice is not in vain

Dex-chan lover
if this is Shonen this would be the time where she has to learn harnessing her power to exorcise these ghosts

Dex-chan lover
Oh boi. I hope she wouldn't encounter another bamboozling ghost. And I really hope that Zen is worth the sacrifice.

Fed-Kun's army
I hope she will become the miko in that shrine. At least that's how she can repay the favor.
That God actually already generous enough to protect her three times.

And moreover, I hope by training as miko she can be better at controlling her power.

Dex-chan lover
There's still many questions, like why the cats haunt him after death despite his attempts to save them? Why did he despise his neighbor enough to throw away her food?

@Someoneosm
As explained in the chapter, he had a cat give birth, in his apartment . That's bound to be dirty. He would probably let the woman in, although still not liking her, if he didn't have a cat inside at the moment, which he's not allowed to keep.

As for the stew? A motherly woman gives him stew, now, what are his feelings towards motherly love?

Fed-Kun's army
that blood in his apartment was from the cat giving birth

Dex-chan lover
I still don't understand what will happen if she actually got slashed by the ghost
I mean... It's a ghost, if a ghost slashed a normal person that can't see them, nothing will happen (referring to the slasher ghost in the train), but then why she seems to be scared that she will die

@musicfreak12
Those people on the train didn't acknowledge it
I don't remember if it hit Miko too, but I don't think it did.
The "can't be hurt unless you acknowledge the bad spirit" seems to go both ways. (Or rather, that's exactly why the saying works, because they can't hurt those who don't acknowledge them)
And now getting creative, in that logic, if Miko were to make someone believe in them, would they start seeing the spirite? Or at least enable the spirits to hurt that person?

More and more, the monsters she sees looks like Homonculus, from the manga with the same name

Dex-chan lover
@Mattereye
Yeah, that's what I'm curious too, I mean now that she acknowledges it and then what? It not like the ghostly body can interact with the real physical body even if both Miko and the ghost acknowledges it, at most, it will suck the energy out of the victim like one of her friend that eats a lot, but that doesn't mean Miko will just drop dead maimed by the ghost or something

@Udooky
Thanks, I was about to go read the raw to see that line, since it's probably the most important line so far in the manga.
Miko obviously understands that others can't see it so the choice of words in that particular moment was horribly crucial.
She could indeed more directly talk to the ghost, and then once sensei gets better use that to make him believe she healed him.
But since that's not really in character, she doesn't want him to believe there are things she can see, and that she low-key killed the thing that was weighing him down.

All that to say, thanks for the original line, as well as your take on it.

@musicfreak12
Well yeah, but that's exactly what I'm getting at. We only know they can't physically interact with those who don't acknowledge them.
None of them have, and hopefully won't, hit her so far, nor Julia, as Miko rescued her from that monster one time. (Though I'm almost sure it wouldn't be able to hurt Julia, as she didn't acknowledge that particular ghost, cause she couldn't see it)

Users who are viewing this thread