Mieruko-chan - Vol. 5 Ch. 32

Double-page supporter
So when someone is close to death they become more able to see.
That's why ageing Grandmother is able to see them and hear them better now, as she's closer to her death. Might explain why this guy was also able to see them, he seems to be in poverty or something judging by his looks on the memory.
But I wonder what's up with Mieruko power...

Double-page supporter
@lauermeer Maybe she can see them because of her fathers death. We do not know yet when he died, just that he did. So she is basically "close to death".

@OsseinMarrow

Well, he can see the 'audience' as well as Miko on a daily basis, so his sanity is compromised either way

Since he wants to take those girls to the mountain again, perhaps he wants to 'raid' the shrine, so he needs 'powerful' mediums (Julia has some modicum of ability, but she is weak, so maybe she is not worth it in his mind). Or elaborately sacrifice them maybe. But given how he dealt with that boy's suicide I prefer to think it is former

Ah lol, missed the reference, don't mind me, :D

Double-page supporter
Hmm...so he is looking for real mediums. But for what, we don't know. Maybe something to do with that shrine.

Fed-Kun's army
@OsseinMarrow

sa9vzxF.png

Dex-chan lover
Not sure what some of you are on about, Mieruko sees everything and Romm all but certainly does too. That he was testing among things earplugs and sunglasses says a lot.
Also, there's been no instance where Julia saw a spirit Mieruko couldn't. She sees auras which Mieruko doesn't.

When I was re-reading I got a feeling Romm noticed her immediately (at page 4) .
And It seems he actually noticed her, but later evaluation shown her capability. Then again, perhaps he can really take an apprentice, who knows. Since he knows mediums can become stronger and all

Also got a 'Oh, you sweet summer child' vibe at his 'Oh, you do, do you?'

Romm did not see the last one either. He is a bonafide scam artist alright. Which is why he wants to recruit those girl who he knows are the real deal.

Dex-chan lover
This is really hard to interpret properly, because giving the spirits/demons/whatever the attention they're asking for seems to be dangerous (though at this point it's not clear /how/ they're dangerous, aside from wanting to stick to you like a giant leech). So it's basically impossible to be sure if someone is seeing the strong ones and ignoring them for their own self-preservation, or just don't see it at all.

That said, I think there's definitely a stylistic hint about who sees them and who doesn't (aside from their deadpan demeanour, which is actually also a really good hint): whenever things are /shown/ in the panel it seems like there's someone around who can see it, and they're the one who's providing the perspective in that particular scene. So any time we're seeing things from Julia's perspective we can see auras and weak spirits, but not the strong ones; whenever we're seeing things from Miko's perspective we can see all the spirits but not auras, and (I think - I'd need to re-read it to be sure) when we're seeing from Romm's perspective we can see both. The scene in the restaurant was very much like that - Mitsue was clearly aware of the weaker spirits, and when she was the focus (the one doing the exposition) that was what we saw, though I think there were hints that she was aware there may be stronger ones around. Then we switched to Miko's perspective and we could suddenly see /all/ of them.

I'm guessing he assessed Julia based on her not being able to see the strong ones, mostly - that doesn't make much sense, though, since Mitsue (who he obviously has /some/ respect for, even if he's a dick about it) obviously can't see /all/ the strong ones. I doubt his assessment is really accurate - he seems to have a pretty specific idea of what he's looking for, and Julia doesn't fit even though she obviously has /some/ kind of talent.

Really interesting read, though - long slow burn on the plot, but it's definitely progressing and so far at least it's promising to go interesting places.

Fed-Kun's army
Everyone is talking about the mystery of spirits. Me wondering what does BUTT BUNS tastes like.

Users who are viewing this thread