Mieruko-chan

Dex-chan lover
@Prominis Those two chapters that I read left me with a strong impression that this is a kind of "Nantsume book for men". I don't know if this story is as deep as Natsume, but the author was clearly inspired by that work.

Dex-chan lover
@optiso I bet if this manga had a similar pure yuri subtext, then you wouldn’t complain, and of course you wouldn’t call it creepy, lol.

This might be the best manga I've ever read.
At first, I thought it would be just an unremarkable jumpscare-type manga, but man, I'm loving everything about the story till now.

@optiso I read Natsume and yes there can be creepy parts to it, the yaoi undertones aren't those parts.

What parts have the 'creepy yaoi undertones'? I'm genuinely curious.

@ItsDrWhomever

dont worry,theres actually just one episode where the blue-haired ghost possess natsume and people start seeing him having long hair and cute faces,i mean ,other then that it just good ol friendship between guys that mistaken for Yaoi since seeing a guy being good and doesnt prank him or do other 'bad' stuff to other guys is Yaoi nowadays

@ItsDrWhomever

It's been a while but I remember there was another guy that was introduced like halfway though the story (exorcist?) that kept being brought back more and more as the story progressed, and the artist kept focusing on him and how mysterious he is and how natsume is interested in him every time they met. It was so forced and probably existed because the author wanted to do fanservice. It just gave me similar vibes to 07-ghost which I was also reading at the same time where it started out great and devolved into yaoi fanservice, or that manga with the post apocalyptic vampires and the magic swords (dont remember name of this one but it was really popular) - same deal.

@chaser I didn't watch the anime, I only read the manga and I can't remember that happening, guess I gotta reread from the beginning again (which won't be a problem since I freaking love Natsume!). Anyway yeah as far as I'm concerned they are all friends and yeah it can be a little touchy feely sometimes but you gotta remember that Natsume was a kid who wasn't treated with a whole lot of affection growing up, so all his friendships and encounters will be special to him.

@optiso you're talking about Natori, yeah you're correct that he kept coming back but you gotta look at it from this perspective: Natsume meets this dude who isn't (at first) interested in helping the Ayakashi, but rather destroying/exorcising them, it's someone who Natsume thought shared the same viewpoint as him at first but that quickly changed so it makes sense that he became interested in Natori. After he was introduced of course the mangaka would keep bringing him back, he is fanservice by himself. And yeah, of course you could interpret Natsume and Natori's relationship as being 'something more' but you could do that with literally any of the other characters and Natsume, it's all how you yourself see it.
But it could also be the mangaka was pressured into adding yaoi undertones because of the growing popularity of the series. That could be true as well.

07-Ghost manga has less emphasis on the yaoi undertones (especially in the later chapters as Teito is introduced to a girl character), but I can definitely agree it's there in the anime 😂 yes I read and watched 07-Ghost, I was a teen who didn't know better (ngl the manga wasn't that bad).

The series with the vampires that you are referring to is Owari no Seraph, of which I am a fan. It took me a minute to figure it out but your description is fucking amazing 🤣🤣
In the case of Owari no Seraph that's just the fandom shipping TF out of the main characters Yuu and Mika imo, there isn't any sort of romantic anything between them. In fact, Yuu is just fucking dense, as much as I love him 😂
He already has a girl who loves him and since the manga isn't leaning towards any boys love angle, most likely the girl will get him in the end. Or he will end up single, but I doubt that. We might have a spin off 😂😂

I'll end this off by saying that I am an avid reader of BL and Yaoi so if there were yaoi undertones I'd be the first to spot it imo 🤣 but I could also be the most dense person on the face of the Earth 😂
So unless a manga is labeled as a BL or Yaoi I don't expect it 👌

Thanks for the replies btw, I love civil discussion 🙏🙏

@ItsDrWhomever
I appreciate the civility its pretty rare these days. Thanks for your perspective, as I dropped these manga before what you describe takes place.

how can something that is so gruesome and frightening but somehow have a comedy tag on it? the answer?

Mieruko chan

I can re-read this a million times and still love it. It has horror and comedy both in the tags and really lives up to them, adding a refreshing slice of life into the mix. Truly a splendid peace of work! Can't wait for more!!

Dex-chan lover
I started this series thinking it's those plot-less cute manga about a girl's daily life as someone that can see supernatural things. Then suddenly, plot hits. This manga actually have plots that I really want to know what happens next! It's great!

Users who are viewing this thread