Mieruko-chan

Don't scream, ignore. Don't cry, Ignore. Don't make eye contact, Ignore. Don't run. Ignore.
This fear and helplessness she experience is painful to watch.

Instant follow!
Starts like some gag manga that probably won't go anywhere, then it starts going places.

Just some thoughts

My friend is one of those "people who can see" and when showed him about this manga, he says it's pretty much accurate but without that-over-the-top horror

One chapter where Mieruko-chan line up to buy something is also accurate, since he also has experienced it before

Also he always seem to avoid small places since he always says there's 'something' in there

I'm starting to think the author has experienced this before lol

If you don't believe me that's fine, but that's just my friend experience

Contributor
Not only is the plot actually going somewhere, but the author is getting better at drawing weird, intimidating spirit-monsters and juxtapoxing them with mundane, adorable shit, like taking a selfie and fetching a lost dog. And also notes of pathos and seriousness, like the bit with her father. I'm impressed.

Dex-chan lover
This series is absolutely fantastic. So simple, wonderful designs all around, and just a great blend of comedy and fright.

Pure fear and horror. Are there any other manga like this? This one is a masterpiece.

Dex-chan lover
But, Themonsun, she's got Anaconda Anaguma in her corner.

Clearly the true answer to all the supernatural issues in her life, is to put it in a headlock until they submit.
Still curious as to what Three Times means, though.

Dex-chan lover
As someone born to a culture with similar superstitions, I want to clarify that the reason Miko doesn't acknowledge the existence of these things is because it is believed that doing so allows them to take you to their side. They can't hurt you physically, but acknowledging them lets them drag your soul into their world. This is actually stated more explicitly in other manga. Hyakkiyakou Shou (Selected Pandemonium) makes a point of it, as does the first chapter of XXXholic.

Realistically the belief may have started from observing the withering effect of hallucinatory schizophrenia. I say this because I have a cousin who exhibited a "sixth sense" in childhood and was diagnosed by the local Daoists as needing exorcism. Ultimately my dad told me that the family has a history of schizophrenia and that's what all the exorcisms were about. Dad's a doctor, but he allowed the superstition to remain unchallenged because admitting the truth would have made it hard for the family's children to get married. Ironically in our society saying you can (or used to be able to) see spirits is "cool".

Dex-chan lover
@sssr Thanks for the clarification on that! I had a mild hunch that the ghosts needed acknowledgement, but it's good to have confirmation. Also, I believe the ability to see spirits being classified under "cool" is its uniqueness. No different to how it'd be cool to have psychic powers. And while I can relate to that feeling, this manga is giving me new thoughts, since spirits can more plausibly be mind-blowingly terrifying.

RIP This girl by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread