Mitsuba Monogatari - Vol. 3 Ch. 12 - Collaboration

Dex-chan lover
I think it is supposed to be her own unique invention. Yes, I know it’s named after it’s creator, but whatever.
It isn't named after its inventor, but you are right the name comes from someone's last name. We do know she's from a world that at least had TVs, though.

Supporter
I absolutely loved this chapter. Here is a little info on the person who created it. Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin invented the Guillotine for humane reasons, he was also French. Thanks for the translation

As an avid fan of the author, I just love the contrast between the optimistic and jolly MCs to the dreadful reality of their world.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, a world of magic, with technology advanced enough to have cannons and rifle guns, yet they haven't even come up with the guillotine yet? Still relying on the executioner to use a sword or axe up to that point? And they call this a 'humane execution device'?

So would the iron maiden, wooden horse, brass bull, and the stretcher be 'inhumane execution devices' in their world?
Likely because they just came out of the war so exploring those options were out of the list. The country only won because the psycho researcher made the magic rifle so I would imagine that resources were focused on that.

Dex-chan lover
I absolutely loved this chapter. Here is a little info on the person who created it. Dr. Joseph-Ignace Guillotin invented the Guillotine for humane reasons, he was also French. Thanks for the translation
Humane or """...humane"""?

Tho i wonder how many ppl would attend public executions if it was more 'accepted' still (i wouldn't be surprised if some fucked up rich ppl bought 'tickets' to ppl on death row getting executed, but i can totally it being made a spectacle if it's like "X celebrity will pull the switch on this person's life" lol

Page 2: "Do you enjoy the banquet?" Did you mean "Are you enjoying the banquet?" The line makes it sound like the banquet is the name for an underground music band. Never mind, you just changed the line for no reason.

Page 11: "Did you forget that soon?" That was a weird way to phrase that. The original line was もうお忘れですか? Which is something like "Have you forgotten already?" Pay attention to the level of formality.

Page 28: "Imply" not "implies". In fact, the raw says "まずまずと受け取って差し支えないんですかね” Which is something like "Should I take that as fairly good?"

Plenty of other problems pop up the more I look into it. I get the feeling the TL is either doing MTL, or doesn't speak English as a first language.

Dex-chan lover
Well, since it was a man named Guillotin who invented that contraption in our world, this isekai version should be called Mitsuba Cutter or something. Mitsuballotine? Wait no, it sounds like a device to cut off balls.

Supporter
Humane or """...humane"""?

Tho i wonder how many ppl would attend public executions if it was more 'accepted' still (i wouldn't be surprised if some fucked up rich ppl bought 'tickets' to ppl on death row getting executed, but i can totally it being made a spectacle if it's like "X celebrity will pull the switch on this person's life" lol
This chapter kinda explains it, before the guillotine, they used large sword or axes and if they missed it would a painful death. As far as public execution, it was to teach people to obey the law. No one wanted to be publicly humiliated. People would think twice before committing a crime. Nowadays crime is rampant, in our state, if someone steals less then $900.00 they are released immediately= no jail time or anything. I believe we need stiffer punishment for committing crimes, imo though.

Dex-chan lover
This chapter kinda explains it, before the guillotine, they used large sword or axes and if they missed it would a painful death. As far as public execution, it was to teach people to obey the law. No one wanted to be publicly humiliated. People would think twice before committing a crime. Nowadays crime is rampant, in our state, if someone steals less then $900.00 they are released immediately= no jail time or anything. I believe we need stiffer punishment for committing crimes, imo though.
makes sense though i imagine ppl would create more of a spectacle if a noble (or high ranking? officer like the lieutenant mitsuba caught) were to be the one chosen as opposed to "this person was a random beggar who stole bread", but i suppose there was those 'stocks' and other public cages rather than full on execution too (tho i can imagine them still choosing to do the torturous method unless that's just gonna be used for interrogation now. although given magic /mana exists in this world i would've expected weapons to be enchanted to be stronger/precise too, but i suppose having everyone being capable of magic to execute might be tedious too)

I wonder why researcher lady had a personal grudge against 'molds' versus ppl just not supporting them b/c they're a 'cult'/against the main 'religion/beliefs' that are the norm

(tho, given that it's Mitsuba, i wouldn't be surprised if her being the one to pull the switch and having her 'essence' seap into the blade would give him horrible visions right as he died, though i suppose he's fairly mindbroken already)

Last edited:
Contributor
This chapter kinda explains it, before the guillotine, they used large sword or axes and if they missed it would a painful death.
According to my high school history teacher, Ann Boleyn was beheaded with a sword rather than an axe because it could take multiple chops to get all the way through with an axe.

Users who are viewing this thread