Modern Villainess: It’s Not Easy Building a Corporate Empire Before the Crash - Vol. 2 Ch. 8.5 - Interlude ② - The Young Lady And The Zashiki-Warashi…

Huh. Considering official LN translations is still at Vol.3 (Vol.4 is delayed. No idea why)...

Honestly speaking, There are hints of supernatural here and there but not a central thing (so far).

Of course, one can argue that a transmigrator is supernatural in itself (at that case, it is quite central in a point of view) but we are talking (in the assumed context) of things like Kitsune Spirits and what not. If that's the case "supernatural" in that context isn't central (from what I seen so far).

If Xenocross could give a spoiler on it, it'll be great.

There is that visit up an Inari Shrine in which she was "spirited away" by a Kitsune Spirit. She is shown a more grown up version of herself and a possible husband but she was "put back to the real world" before she can see who that husband is. Her guards and the Ex-CIA-turned-secretary/maid were freaking out because she literally disappeared when they were crossing the Torii gates and just took their eyes off her for a second. She suddenly appeared at the shrine and Eiichi-kun was the one who took her out of her trance. Before that trip, Hotaru-chan gave a traditionally wrapped Inarizushi to Runa and said/notsaid/saying without actually saying/Hotaru-chan thing to carry it with her on the trip. After being spirited away and given back, that inarizushi was traded/transformed/whatever into a Cintamani stone. Hotaru-chan later commented: "Aren't you glad you carried it with you?"

Anyways, a SoL interlude that I didn't expect. I still believe my previous prediction is still right tho.

This does give the introduction to a reoccurring subject in the IP, Runa's impeccable and amazing singing ability. I look forward to seeing how it will be portrayed in the manga (hopefully they do show certain details on it). Singing is also a key bridge ties Runa's "Previous Self" and "Current Self".

A bit of a thing. It is implied that "The love of singing" is something that is brought over as a characteristic uniquely from Runa's "Previous Self". I never got the implication that the "Original/VN" Runa ever pursued singing as a passion. It is something that VNRuna can certainly do (due to inner monologue implying that she is so good at singing itself because of her "cheat body") but never really got into it for the passion or love of doing it. This raises the possibility that it is part of the factor why Runa stands out as "Runa" instead of "a daughter of a nobility" on the public mind. This in turn changes people's perception of her and in turn changes their opinion of her. Also, while there is certainly a "Cheat" on the body of a villainess, it is implied in the LN that she practices to be better than what natural talent can give her. o3o7 Gambatte Runa-chan! Also, this will most likely require a VA that can really sing if this IP gets an Anime.

Hotaru-chan's supernatural leanings is another theme that is spread through the IP. I do wonder how it will be shown once they reach the higher ages...?

There really isn't much to add in terms of the actual interlude itself.

Cute girls doing Cute girl things.

I still (and will most likely enjoy) the notes, thoughts, and reports of SSS + G&N peeps. There isn't much thoughts on my end beyond WeDon'tWork...

Thoughts that I'd just not share I guess.

Thank you very much for the work and translation! Can't wait for the next one!
Neat analysis as always.

And yeah, you're on point on Ch10.

I'd also like Runa's VA to be skilled at singing as well. Though if one would adapt this show, they'll need to compress a lot of things or a lot of people would tune out at the first episode

Again, thanks for your appreciation! Our team is working tirelessly to continue providing our services.

Aggregator gang
Huh. Considering official LN translations is still at Vol.3 (Vol.4 is delayed. No idea why)...

Honestly speaking, There are hints of supernatural here and there but not a central thing (so far).

Of course, one can argue that a transmigrator is supernatural in itself (at that case, it is quite central in a point of view) but we are talking (in the assumed context) of things like Kitsune Spirits and what not. If that's the case "supernatural" in that context isn't central (from what I seen so far).

If Xenocross could give a spoiler on it, it'll be great.

There is that visit up an Inari Shrine in which she was "spirited away" by a Kitsune Spirit. She is shown a more grown up version of herself and a possible husband but she was "put back to the real world" before she can see who that husband is. Her guards and the Ex-CIA-turned-secretary/maid were freaking out because she literally disappeared when they were crossing the Torii gates and just took their eyes off her for a second. She suddenly appeared at the shrine and Eiichi-kun was the one who took her out of her trance. Before that trip, Hotaru-chan gave a traditionally wrapped Inarizushi to Runa and said/notsaid/saying without actually saying/Hotaru-chan thing to carry it with her on the trip. After being spirited away and given back, that inarizushi was traded/transformed/whatever into a Cintamani stone. Hotaru-chan later commented: "Aren't you glad you carried it with you?"

Anyways, a SoL interlude that I didn't expect. I still believe my previous prediction is still right tho.

This does give the introduction to a reoccurring subject in the IP, Runa's impeccable and amazing singing ability. I look forward to seeing how it will be portrayed in the manga (hopefully they do show certain details on it). Singing is also a key bridge ties Runa's "Previous Self" and "Current Self".

A bit of a thing. It is implied that "The love of singing" is something that is brought over as a characteristic uniquely from Runa's "Previous Self". I never got the implication that the "Original/VN" Runa ever pursued singing as a passion. It is something that VNRuna can certainly do (due to inner monologue implying that she is so good at singing itself because of her "cheat body") but never really got into it for the passion or love of doing it. This raises the possibility that it is part of the factor why Runa stands out as "Runa" instead of "a daughter of a nobility" on the public mind. This in turn changes people's perception of her and in turn changes their opinion of her. Also, while there is certainly a "Cheat" on the body of a villainess, it is implied in the LN that she practices to be better than what natural talent can give her. o3o7 Gambatte Runa-chan! Also, this will most likely require a VA that can really sing if this IP gets an Anime.

Hotaru-chan's supernatural leanings is another theme that is spread through the IP. I do wonder how it will be shown once they reach the higher ages...?

There really isn't much to add in terms of the actual interlude itself.

Cute girls doing Cute girl things.

I still (and will most likely enjoy) the notes, thoughts, and reports of SSS + G&N peeps. There isn't much thoughts on my end beyond WeDon'tWork...

Thoughts that I'd just not share I guess.

Thank you very much for the work and translation! Can't wait for the next one!
You want spoiler on the supernatural main plot?

Zashiki Warashi is a youkai that inhabit house. In the form of little girl. It is implied that its origin is the spirit of child died young, or unborn fetus. Unlike common youkai, Zashiki Warashi bring fortune and good health to the house it lives.

Hotaru is a child from a family specializing in supernatural (like Shinto priest?), and is made to be sacrificed, to create artificial Zashiki Warashi.
She is supposed to die young, but live on because she eat that orange.

But the ritual is still going on, so Hotaru is stuck between the state of Zashiki Warashi and human.

I forget the details, but later on it will connect to supernatural attack on Runa. Someone want Runa dead, and employing the occult to do it.

Hotaru was revealed to be more important than expected. Zashiki Warashi need to inhabit a house, but she wandered around freely. Where is her house?
Turn out that her 'house' is the nation of Japan itself. She was basically created to ensure the prosperity of Japan.

And they have done this multiple times in the past.

The supernatural plot thread is basically Runa and friends investigating the occult thread, solving it, and then it impacting the real political and economic situation

Runa even meet that local god again, for help.

Dex-chan lover
You want spoiler on the supernatural main plot?

Zashiki Warashi is a youkai that inhabit house. In the form of little girl. It is implied that its origin is the spirit of child died young, or unborn fetus. Unlike common youkai, Zashiki Warashi bring fortune and good health to the house it lives.

Hotaru is a child from a family specializing in supernatural (like Shinto priest?), and is made to be sacrificed, to create artificial Zashiki Warashi.
She is supposed to die young, but live on because she eat that orange.

But the ritual is still going on, so Hotaru is stuck between the state of Zashiki Warashi and human.

I forget the details, but later on it will connect to supernatural attack on Runa. Someone want Runa dead, and employing the occult to do it.

Hotaru was revealed to be more important than expected. Zashiki Warashi need to inhabit a house, but she wandered around freely. Where is her house?
Turn out that her 'house' is the nation of Japan itself. She was basically created to ensure the prosperity of Japan.

And they have done this multiple times in the past.

The supernatural plot thread is basically Runa and friends investigating the occult thread, solving it, and then it impacting the real political and economic situation

Runa even meet that local god again, for help.

Thanks for the spoilers! I did want to know.

Details is a bit jumbled (most probably because english isn't your first language/fluent like a local?) but I get the gist of it.

In terms of her family, Official English LN Vol. 3 has some details on it

The Kaihouin family (which Hotaru is part of) is one of the "impoverished court nobles" in the "modern era". Apparently (most likely based on a mixture of fact and rumors/hearsay/gossip between families) they managed to maintain their family because they are "descended from sorcerers". After the Meiji Restoration's abolishment of Buddhism, they apparently adhered/followed Shintoism after. Before the Meiji Restoration, they were apparently (again, most likely rumors/hearsay/gossip) running the family business of dealing/banishing vengeful spirits. So the Kaihouin family (even this early in the LN) were already suspected of being part of the occult. Fun fun.

Honestly tho, I didn't expect it to go into such things as deeply as you spoiled lol. Oh well.

Neat analysis as always.

And yeah, you're on point on Ch10.

I'd also like Runa's VA to be skilled at singing as well. Though if one would adapt this show, they'll need to compress a lot of things or a lot of people would tune out at the first episode

Again, thanks for your appreciation! Our team is working tirelessly to continue providing our services.

Nice. I can't wait to see it (Ch 10).

I can't help but analyze it due to me reading the Official EN LN. I think I'll keep on going on it.

I wonder who would be a good VA for her tho... oh well, that's really outside of my own perview. I'm not a VA Otaku at all lol. In terms of actually making the anime, it will be a very interesting challenge to keep it "Modern Villainess" while also making it general enough that the average viewer will know/care enough to keep up with it. Lots of Business centric stuff after all lol.

Nice. I can't wait to see it (Ch 10).

I can't help but analyze it due to me reading the Official EN LN. I think I'll keep on going on it.

I wonder who would be a good VA for her tho... oh well, that's really outside of my own perview. I'm not a VA Otaku at all lol. In terms of actually making the anime, it will be a very interesting challenge to keep it "Modern Villainess" while also making it general enough that the average viewer will know/care enough to keep up with it. Lots of Business centric stuff after all lol.
The closest we ever got to a business centred anime is 80,000 yen and Spice and Wolf. Spice and Wolf pulled it off by focusing on Laurence and Holo's relationship dynamics with the econ and finance stuff on the background, which seems undoable here with how integral the econ and finance stuff is, but I deem that the anime will cut a lot of explanations due to the constraints of the medium.

80,000 yen's premise was interesting, since it's basically rooted in arbitrage trading (She tries to sell our world goods in exchange for another world's gold which is worth more in Yen than what she bought those goods for originally). Now, for the anime itself... I did find it underwhelming. She did takeover companies and contracted a PMC while raking in those government contracts, which are done more subtly than in this manga, but the fantasy elements really threw me off.

Methinks an approach that combines what works from these two would be best for Modern Villainess, but it really does depend on how the hypothetical anime director might approach this IP.

Dex-chan lover
The closest we ever got to a business centred anime is 80,000 yen and Spice and Wolf. Spice and Wolf pulled it off by focusing on Laurence and Holo's relationship dynamics with the econ and finance stuff on the background, which seems undoable here with how integral the econ and finance stuff is, but I deem that the anime will cut a lot of explanations due to the constraints of the medium.

80,000 yen's premise was interesting, since it's basically rooted in arbitrage trading (She tries to sell our world goods in exchange for another world's gold which is worth more in Yen than what she bought those goods for originally). Now, for the anime itself... I did find it underwhelming. She did takeover companies and contracted a PMC while raking in those government contracts, which are done more subtly than in this manga, but the fantasy elements really threw me off.

Methinks an approach that combines what works from these two would be best for Modern Villainess, but it really does depend on how the hypothetical anime director might approach this IP.
I will have to agree on that assessment.

I hadn't watched Spice and Wolf but I felt that the relevant points that is key to be covered in a hypothetical anime of "Modern Villainess" is very much a background thing to carry the main points that they wanted to convey (which is the merging of "wild" and "modern" social aspects). This is based on superficial knowledge on the IP however and I don't think I have the time (nor motivation) to pick up the IP to lose myself in.

If 80,000 Yen is what I think it is (I believe it is 80,000 Gold?) then I have just read the manga but I hadn't watched the anime. It has been a while so I might have forgotten details (she did buyouts/takeovers of companies?) but I do remember her buying the services of a PMC. If I remember correctly, it (hiring of PMC) was initially to convert the gold she got as income from her arbitrage trading into "modern" currency so she can use it as capital to purchase modern goods. A PMC was also used to receive training of firearms.

The Fantasy elements does cause a lot of "white noise" and a more compelling point to focus people's attention to. This does cause for a less focus to be paid on the econ+business side of things.

The Fantasy elements also causes for other things to pop up and further detracts from her initial goal of getting an obscene amount of wealth for an easy retirement.

The title and initial premise is more of an initial excuse to thrust the MC into a fantasy adventure, no?

I don't' think myself or anyone from SSS+GN could really map out a viable roadmap to adapt Modern Villainess in an anime format that can be consumed by the general anime-watching audience. If we could, then we'd be doing that instead. I am really not too sure on the viability of your claim because I really have not watched the anime of both and I only know of 80K Gold from the manga and bits and pieces of S+W. I will take your word for it. However, I am not really convinced that using them as examples is viable...

haaaa.... I guess it really just goes to show on how little there is that is even remotely viable as examples to give a frame of conference on this thought exercise.

Ahhhh... How troublesome.

edit: Ah, I just realized....

According to Xenocross' spoiler in regards to Hotaru-chan, The Kaihouin family was intending to create an "artificial Zashiki Warashi" for the national benefit of Japan.

... Considering one of the lore of these yokai... Hotaru was supposed to die... Was the Kaihouin family intending to... well... in a modern sense, murder their own child? Well... more like... starve her to death?

I... I don't know if it is a misunderstanding due to my suspicion that Xenocross isn't that fluent in english....

I will wait until the official EN LN before I pass judgement? Like Runa-chan, I have a soft spot for Hotaru-chan and I can feel that urge to unleash (as per FuwaMoco) "Extreme Violence" on the Kaihouin family if they were gonna do that.

edit2: I just re-read the interlude. Hotaru-chan's smile... It must be protected. Anything that messes with that smile... I'll hold them down while Runa-chan extracts extreme violence on the fool that tries to do so. (its 6AM and I hadn't slept yet. A bit crazy right now)

Last edited:

I hadn't watched Spice and Wolf but I felt that the relevant points that is key to be covered in a hypothetical anime of "Modern Villainess" is very much a background thing to carry the main points that they wanted to convey (which is the merging of "wild" and "modern" social aspects). This is based on superficial knowledge on the IP however and I don't think I have the time (nor motivation) to pick up the IP to lose myself in.

If 80,000 Yen is what I think it is (I believe it is 80,000 Gold?) then I have just read the manga but I hadn't watched the anime. It has been a while so I might have forgotten details (she did buyouts/takeovers of companies?) but I do remember her buying the services of a PMC. If I remember correctly, it (hiring of PMC) was initially to convert the gold she got as income from her arbitrage trading into "modern" currency so she can use it as capital to purchase modern goods. A PMC was also used to receive training of firearms.

The Fantasy elements does cause a lot of "white noise" and a more compelling point to focus people's attention to. This does cause for a less focus to be paid on the econ+business side of things.

The Fantasy elements also causes for other things to pop up and further detracts from her initial goal of getting an obscene amount of wealth for an easy retirement.

The title and initial premise is more of an initial excuse to thrust the MC into a fantasy adventure, no?

I don't' think myself or anyone from SSS+GN could really map out a viable roadmap to adapt Modern Villainess in an anime format that can be consumed by the general anime-watching audience. If we could, then we'd be doing that instead. I am really not too sure on the viability of your claim because I really have not watched the anime of both and I only know of 80K Gold from the manga and bits and pieces of S+W. I will take your word for it. However, I am not really convinced that using them as examples is viable...

haaaa.... I guess it really just goes to show on how little there is that is even remotely viable as examples to give a frame of conference on this thought exercise.

It's 80,000 Gold lol

Anyways, Yeah, I'd agree. If our comparative advantage was directing media, we'd be doing that, instead of reconciling financial info. But, t'was not the case. Hopefully, the adaptation falls in right hands.

Anyways, Thanks for the great analysis, really motivates me to push through this week particularly, as well as our team in SSS.

Aggregator gang

edit: Ah, I just realized....

According to Xenocross' spoiler in regards to Hotaru-chan, The Kaihouin family was intending to create an "artificial Zashiki Warashi" for the national benefit of Japan.

... Considering one of the lore of these yokai... Hotaru was supposed to die... Was the Kaihouin family intending to... well... in a modern sense, murder their own child? Well... more like... starve her to death?

I... I don't know if it is a misunderstanding due to my suspicion that Xenocross isn't that fluent in english....

I will wait until the official EN LN before I pass judgement? Like Runa-chan, I have a soft spot for Hotaru-chan and I can feel that urge to unleash (as per FuwaMoco) "Extreme Violence" on the Kaihouin family if they were gonna do that.

edit2: I just re-read the interlude. Hotaru-chan's smile... It must be protected. Anything that messes with that smile... I'll hold them down while Runa-chan extracts extreme violence on the fool that tries to do so. (its 6AM and I hadn't slept yet. A bit crazy right now)
Oh hmm
It's not like that. If it is straight up murder or starving, Hotaru would have died already.

Usually in occult stories, these ritual would kill a person with unnatural natural death.
For example, weird sickness that no doctor can explain, and end up with the child dying.
Or weird accident like drowning in a pond, because the child slip on nothing.

This is why orange with blessing can avert these occult disaster.

Dex-chan lover
Oh hmm
It's not like that. If it is straight up murder or starving, Hotaru would have died already.

Usually in occult stories, these ritual would kill a person with unnatural natural death.
For example, weird sickness that no doctor can explain, and end up with the child dying.
Or weird accident like drowning in a pond, because the child slip on nothing.

This is why orange with blessing can avert these occult disaster.
Naruhodo.

The mandarin/tangerine/orange is really blessed by the Grand Master Tanuki (official LN TL of it. TL'd by SSS+GN as "Otanuki-Daishi Sama") then.

Well, it is what it is lol

Dex-chan lover
The girl who can turn invisible is the easiest thing to understand here...

Aggregator gang
I ended up asking ChatGPT to narrate Hotaru-chan as a SCP, I couldn't resist.

Item #: SCP-XXXX

Object Class: Euclid (Potential for Keter reclassification if containment procedures fail)

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-XXXX is to be contained within a standard humanoid containment chamber at Site-███. The containment chamber is to be furnished with basic amenities suitable for a 6-year-old child, including toys and books appropriate for her age. SCP-XXXX is to be provided with a daily ration of fresh oranges, delivered by Level 2 personnel.

Surveillance cameras are to be installed in SCP-XXXX's containment chamber and monitored at all times to ensure her whereabouts are known. Any unusual behavior or deviations from standard containment protocols are to be reported immediately to Site Command.

In the event of SCP-XXXX's disappearance or escape, Mobile Task Force Psi-7 ("Homebodies") is to be deployed to locate and retrieve SCP-XXXX. Mobile Task Force Psi-7 is authorized to employ singing as a means to lure SCP-XXXX back into containment.

Description: SCP-XXXX is a 6-year-old humanoid entity named Hotaru-chan, approximately 1 meter in height and of Japanese descent. SCP-XXXX exhibits extraordinary abilities including enhanced stealth, agility, and an innate talent for hiding. Despite her young age, SCP-XXXX possesses an advanced level of skill in the game of hide and seek.

SCP-XXXX has an affinity for oranges and demonstrates a strong preference for consuming them. SCP-XXXX's diet must include a daily provision of fresh oranges to maintain her cooperative behavior and prevent potential escalation to Keter classification.

SCP-XXXX rarely communicates verbally and displays a tendency to remain silent for extended periods. However, SCP-XXXX has been observed to respond to singing by revealing her location. The reason behind this behavior is currently unknown and under investigation.

SCP-XXXX's anomalous abilities manifest when engaging in games of hide and seek. She is capable of concealing herself in locations that defy conventional logic, making her exceedingly difficult to locate without the aid of specialized equipment or tactics. SCP-XXXX's ability to vanish and reappear seemingly at will poses a significant challenge to containment efforts.

Despite her elusive nature, SCP-XXXX has demonstrated no overt hostility towards Foundation personnel. However, failure to adhere to containment procedures and provide SCP-XXXX with adequate sustenance may result in unpredictable behavior and potential breaches of containment.

Research into SCP-XXXX's origins and the extent of her anomalous abilities is ongoing. Efforts to establish communication and understand the full scope of SCP-XXXX's capabilities remain a top priority for containment and research personnel.

Addendum XXXX-A: SCP-XXXX's behavior and containment requirements are subject to ongoing evaluation. Revision of containment procedures may be necessary based on continued observation and research findings.

Users who are viewing this thread