Modern Villainess: It’s Not Easy Building a Corporate Empire Before the Crash - Vol. 1 Ch. 5.5 - Intermission ① The Young Lady and Orange Asuka

Dex-chan lover
Oranges and mandarins are entirely different things. The size is not what tells them apart, at least should've mentioned the shape. Mandarins are not spheres unlike oranges. On the other hand, tangerines are mandarins but mandarins are not necessarily tangerines.
Oh i didn't know that we had a citrus scientists here.

Aggregator gang
Potato is "land-apple" in Hebrew too -- "tapuach adama".

Oranges are bigger that mandarins (and i didn't even know that tangerines and mandarins are different). Spades are for digging, shovels are for moving (it's harder to dig with them). Ladders are for climbing, stepladders are for getting stuck.
Still, it's important not to judge things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions.

Dex-chan lover
nah, it's much simpler than that:
  • Apple (pomme) is a staple fruit always available (fresh or conditioned) even to the poor
  • potato (patate or pomme de terre) is a staple vegetable always available (fresh or conditioned) even to the poor
Thus, if apple is the pomme of the tree, potato is the pomme of the earth.
Honestly speaking, that "story" is more of a childish fantasy than anything based in actual Philology. Considering which age we are dealing with on the work, I thought bringing up something "childish" would be appropriate lol.

It is the the same vein of thought that makes for a very fun side of why Asuka insists of calling Mandarins "Oranges". At least in the surface.

I'm glad you liked the chapter and our Not-Financial Report. I do try to limit myself to general information to not give out advice instructing specific investment actions other than assessing the person's own portfolio in light with the information. Though due to that, it's not as meticulous as I'd want it to be.

Honestly, anyone who create stories involving the financial sector would need to do exposition as it would be hard to do the "Show-not-Tell" principle without confusing the audience.

Your headcannon regarding the French naming convention of Potato is quite interesting, to say the least.
Well, one of the few times that I do read the end notes and enjoy myself to be sure lol. It is a bit more messy than usual tho me thinks.

You wouldn't believe how many times I had to look back and forth once I finish a chapter and I see the glossary/TL notes on what was discussed. Does give some context but I found myself going "Oh, so that IS what I thought it was" based on context clues and my own (admittedly limited) financial knowledge more often than not.

As for the french potato thing... Younger me was a silly goose. look above for a slightly more detailed explanation as to why I even commented on it lol.

Dex-chan lover
Just someone with basic knowledge about what he buys from the market
You don't need to know so much, just knowing that i like oranges more that mandarins is enough, i don't care about all those sub species.
Still, it's important not to judge things based on narrow-minded cultural assumptions.
Still, it's important to judge things based on cultural assumptions, because that's the way humans work. And if we don't? Well there's nothing wrong with cannibalism as long as you don't kill for it and don't eat the organs that will hurt you, we can just stop burying or cremating people and instead start eating them, it's the most logical thing to do and also a lot of cultures through the ages ate people.

Dex-chan lover
cmiiw, wasn't her insistence on calling it "orange" also has to do with the lifting of export ban, and thus it hurts her family?

So she wants to spread the tangerine by "marketing" it as orange, because back then they think everything from the west is cool and trendy.
according to LN, it is the "liberalization of imports" in terms of Beef and Oranges that caused a decline in the local industry in which Asuka's family were big in. Her father is actually a Diet member + his electoral district's local specialty is Tangerines/Mandarins. This obviously cause political tensions and ended with the local industry suffering because they lost that fight.

Excess inventory that they don't know what to do with just ended up being shipped to Asuka which in turn just gave it away.

Asuka apparently was well aware that this was going on (political tension + stress that she sees on her papa trying to fight the imports) and in her kindergarten mind, the way to support the local industry is to rebrand them into "Oranges".

On a side note: In the Official LN, the citrus that Asuka brings is called "Mandarins" . in the Manga, SSS TL'd them into "Tangerines". Something I just noticed when I started re-reading the LN.

Aggregator gang
Still, it's important to judge things based on cultural assumptions, because that's the way humans work. And if we don't? Well there's nothing wrong with cannibalism as long as you don't kill for it and don't eat the organs that will hurt you, we can just stop burying or cremating people and instead start eating them, it's the most logical thing to do and also a lot of cultures through the ages ate people.
(this is what the refrance)

also shovel/spade is the equivalent in TGAA

Dex-chan lover
Why does she call it chunni to call tangerine as oranges? At worst one would just think they are being stubborn. It isnt uncommon for a kid to mistake one thing for another then due to childish pride insist to call it that way. Like when I was a child I didnt know Hotel Suite was pronounced Hotel Sweet. So I insisted oncalling it Hotel Suite even when I knew the proper name.
But in no way is it chunni

Dex-chan lover
I'm guessing similar shenanigans might be the reason why "pineapple" is called that in English ("apple that looks like pinecone", or something to that effect), and how in multiple other languages the word for "orange" (the fruit) comes from "apple from china" (e.g. "appelsiini" in Finnish).
Oranges are Chinese apples in Swedish as well.

Potatoes used to be called "Pears of the earth" in Sweden though, maybe because of their tubular shape? (Potatoe/potatis overtook it as a name though.)

Pomegrenades are another "apple" - in Swedish the name is directly translated to "Grenade apple" (instead of copying the sounds of the name as the English did - or maybe we should guess that the French-speaking English nobility brought in that word wholesale?)

Users who are viewing this thread