More Amazon Anime and Manga bans. Japan now very worried.

Group Leader
Next on the ban list:

latest

Family-Guy-Stewie-pregnant-with-Brian-child-Doctor-Stewie-is-Enceinte-650x366.jpg

Dex-chan lover
Holy macaroni, your words have indeed shone law, order, and virtues through my heart. I have realized the wrong of my thinking and thus, will continue to do the wrong things because I'm a bad person. When you actually have a court/trial for the enjoyment of fetishes/fantasies in fictional works where the person involved only enjoys them in fictions and not real life, please remember to put me in the execution list and call me. Until then ciao :D

Dex-chan lover
@comeonnow0
My theory is that it's two phone numbers.

The initial "0" is the area code, and from there we have:

700-320-8907

And the alternative last 4 digits:

700-320-9085

I'm going to call both. If I don't edit this post within 10 minutes, do not let the coroner rule my death as soy sauce.

Dex-chan lover
Speaking of Cuties, I think if anyone bothered to watch it or even see what the director has to say about it, they'd realize it isn't glorifying the hyper-sexualization of young girls. It's a blatant case of incredibly shitty marketing and pervasive conspiracy theories clouding people's judgement. It's been very humorous watching people on the same side of the Cuties debate (sexualization of kids in culture and the loss of innocence is bad) go after each other.

As for this thread's recent stupid debate, manga is an artistic medium and as such it can and will be critiqued like art. In this case, taking a step back and thinking, "Hey is it really okay that we use depictions of children as sexual fanservice?" is completely fair game. You don't get to be pissy about it and try to shut down the conversation with "facts and logic." Critiquing art is just as much about how a piece fits in the context of modern culture as it is about how technically proficient the brush strokes are.

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy
Yeah, on the topic of Cuties, I actually watched it last week, and while I understand where the "Cuties is unforgivable" crowd is coming from, I actually agree with the movie's core message. Bad influences are bad, kids are very impressionable, the value of family, etc. I don't know the exact reasoning behind portraying the hyper-sexualization of the main cast, but I'm guessing it was for shock value, which would generate controversy (and by extension publicity) as well as graphically display just how much of an issue the topic at hand is.
As for this thread's recent stupid debate
What's stupid about it?
manga is an artistic medium and as such it can and will be critiqued like art. In this case, taking a step back and thinking, "Hey is it really okay that we use depictions of children as sexual fanservice?" is completely fair game.
^This is correct of course. Art is based in human creativity. And since human creativity is by nature subjective, anything that stems from it will be (and should be) critiqued.

The actual issue here is when critiquing goes further than just critiquing, and calls for censorship start to pop up. People who disapprove of the sexualization of underage fictional characters are free to be as outspoken as they want about this topic, but critiquing something and advocating for censorship are entirely different matters.

Dex-chan lover
@bigtiddyoneesan

I'm guessing it was for shock value

If I remember correctly, the director has said as much. She wanted to make sure it was obvious that these dance competitions were sexualizing the girls.

What's stupid about it?

Mostly that it's been brought up thousands of times by both sides and the arguments never change. I wouldn't call it stupid if someone had brought a new perspective to it.

The actual issue here is when critiquing goes further than just critiquing, and calls for censorship start to pop up.

I think about it this way. At one point in time it was totally okay to use real children in erotic artwork (painting, drawing, sculpting, etc.) and photography. That changed when someone (likely several someones) took a step back, and analyzed and critiqued that aspect of the artwork in the context of their current society and culture and deemed it morally reprehensible because their morals had changed over time.

Yes, obviously there's a vast difference when using real children because of the immediate harm done to them, but keeping abreast with this topic helps you determine who is hurt and who is helped by it and this can be done by critiquing media. Are young, impressionable minds being shown this by predatorial family members to normalize an unhealthy relationship, or is it being used as a learning tool to warn said minds like Nabokov did? Is it helping satiate urges for people with certain predilections, or is it just the first step on a road to unspeakable harm for them? Obviously, the answer to these questions is rhetorical.

There's a lot more to be said on this topic, but that might be all I'm going to say on it. I hate discussing this stuff because it's so complicated and messy. It can't be boiled down to "it's just fictional art" or "it's morally questionable." You have to look at the processes in creating the art, the purpose the art serves, the artists intent of the art, the real world impact of the art, etc. It's not something that can be hashed out on a web forum.

I dunno, maybe all I've typed is a bunch of nonsense. It's 4am gimme a break.

@ColorfulSoy

No, I have a television. I just have no idea what you're trying to say, lol. Your English isn't exactly great. I don't say this as an insult; just an observation and explanation for my confusion. I get the impression English is not your primary language, and it's a hard one.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@GrandLotus
I think he's refering to the schedule certain shows have and the relation they have with their audience, like late night stand ups that have jokes that clearly aren't for kids, or morning saturday cartoons and things like that.

@Richman

I figured that's what they meant for that part, but, like, it's sorta irrelevant these days. Most people don't watch television live anymore, except for sports or phenomenon shows, like Game of Thrones -- where they're afraid of being spoiled online before they get to see the episode, or just want to be able to be part of the discussion the next day with co-workers, etc. And the point is even more irrelevant because, as I pointed out to him/her twice, the vast majority of shows that sexualize child characters in anime are PG-13, so it's not like they would air super late, anyway. So, yeah, for that part, it was more so confusion of why they were saying what I suspected they were saying.

But the, "Yeah, you better observe it, maybe you can make a job as a raw provider" part still made absolutely no sense to me, lol.

P.S. Avatar: The Last Airbender fan?

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@GrandLotus
I used the picture way before i watched avatar, so, kinda? I liked the fishes no because of the show, but because they looked pretty.

Dex-chan lover
@BestBoy
Mostly that it's been brought up thousands of times by both sides and the arguments never change. I wouldn't call it stupid if someone had brought a new perspective to it.
Lol, fair enough. Stupid arguments do exist. I'd probably use the word "repetitive" for this one though.
At one point in time it was totally okay to use real children in erotic artwork (painting, drawing, sculpting, etc.) and photography. That changed when someone (likely several someones) took a step back, and analyzed and critiqued that aspect of the artwork in the context of their current society and culture and deemed it morally reprehensible because their morals had changed over time.
Taking into account how art shapes societal evolution? BestBoy confirmed for Art Major/Minor.
is it being used as a learning tool to warn said minds like Nabokov did?
Yeah, it's somewhat unfortunate that the film's message was overshadowed by the backlash it received. I don't know exactly how it could have kept the kind of exposure it had (assuming it was deemed necessary by the filmmaker) without generating backlash though.
There's a lot more to be said on this topic, but that might be all I'm going to say on it. I hate discussing this stuff because it's so complicated and messy. It can't be boiled down to "it's just fictional art" or "it's morally questionable." You have to look at the processes in creating the art, the purpose the art serves, the artists intent of the art, the real world impact of the art, etc. It's not something that can be hashed out on a web forum.
Indeed, it's complicated due to the fact that we live in a society (lol) that already has it's own stance on this. And ideas that are challenging are only challenging because they clash with what is acceptable at the time. Well, I feel that this thread is winding down around now, and I don't have much more to say rn. Maybe the mods will lock it, idk.

Tiddie, out ✌️
YicG8dH.png

Dex-chan lover
@bigtiddyoneesan Just a heads up that Nabokov is the author of Lolita, but yes, Cuties is 100% a perfect example that I didn't even think of.

BestBoy confirmed for Art Major/Minor.

Hardly. Supply Chain Management and Finance.

assuming it was deemed necessary by the filmmaker

She saw the Netflix poster the same day as everyone else. It's completely different from the Sundance poster. Wouldn't be a stretch to say she didn't know about the trailer either. It was a smash hit at the Sundance festival so I don't think she thought shocking marketing was necessary. Probably a Netflix thing.

Fed-Kun's army
Aaah... The fun irony of America's ethics, where a massive crowd of angry SJW scream bloody murder and obtains bans of fictionnal works while, in the real world, in their own country, creepy child beauty pageant contests are still ongoing without much issues ...

rVFACfEnifSsmQQ-800x450-noPad.jpg

... 😎

I love how people equate loli/shota hentai to Free Speech/expression, like that was what the laws were meant for.
Also, I don't care if it's protected under "freedom of speech" Wich in many states and quite a few countries it isn't, It's degenerate and is promoting pedophilia.
Also I don't care if "nobody is harmed by it", It's degenerate and shouldn't exist. The video games and violence argument is irrelevant to me.
My problem is it's degenerate on principle and should be banned. I'm not one of those libertarian dudebros that subscribe to the "Live and let live" ideas. It shouldn't exist on principle, no questions asked. If it were up to me I would scrub the internet clean of it.

And for people who bring up children in situations of war or violence, I wouldn't really like that either. I'm completely consistent with that too.
It's a basic morality that people have somehow twisted into a "live and let live" "Freedom of expression" debate that shouldn't exist in the first place.
It's degenerate and shouldn't exist, period.

Also to the dude/lady/whatever that posted child beauty peagants like it meant anything, those should be shut down too.

Leaving it at this and not responding further.
Good day.

Group Leader
^
Basically "I don't like X, so I must ban it. Everything else is irrelevant."

I wasn't wrong at all about people having totalitarian complex, free country or not. But that is nothing surprising at this point. "Live and let live" is my motto. Do what you want as long as you harm no one. I don't care for any holier-than-thou moral guardians preaching about what's degenerate and what isn't. Heard plenty of similar craps already.

Video games survived the "Jack Thompson" wave back in the 2000s. Anime/manga will be fine. Pedophilia is the new buzzword in the anime community now, it seems. One thing after another with these people, lol.

Welp. /thread

Users who are viewing this thread