Move Like/Reply buttons to the bottom left and move Report to top right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
When it comes to languages that read left-to-right, such as English, UI design should aim to follow that. Our brains are hardwired to read left to right, top to bottom. Browse to any major social media site (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter) and at the bottom left of a post and you'll find the interaction buttons.
(It's different for mobile apps that aim to utilise the right hand's thumb, but we're on a desktop website.)

After seeing the reactions displayed at the bottom left of each post, encouraging me to add a reaction as well, I've pressed the report button more often accidentally than on purpose.

The post interaction buttons should be right above the reactions. Not the report button that is intended for exceptional use. The best place for the report button is next to the share button top right.

Dex-chan lover
I don't see the point,
the current layout is fine.
Why should we copy?

Dex-chan lover
Why should we copy?
Because it's intuitive. The Like/Reply buttons should be the next thing you see when you finish reading. The report button needs to be available but neatly tucked away, it's only necessary when needed, much like all the other items in the top right.

Group Leader
What...?

Sorry, I strongly disagree. I don't mind the report button being where it is now and might not even mind if it's moved top right, but I see no point in moving the like/reply buttons.

After seeing the reactions displayed at the bottom left of each post, encouraging me to add a reaction as well, I've pressed the report button more often accidentally than on purpose.

This is... pretty much a very personal problem.

Power Uploader
I don't see the point,
the current layout is fine.
Why should we copy?
I have to admit that I've also accidentally hit the report button a few times thinking I was clicking like. It probably would be more intuitive for a new user if the positions were swapped. Though it's also not exactly hard to get used to the layout as it is.

Contributor
Counter point I have never used facebook and would find the change to match them extremely disruptive to my work flow.

/S obviously. But making changes just because someone else does it is kind of a poor reason.

Dex-chan lover
If it feels like the report button is a bit in the way then it could be moved to the top bar beside share/bookmark. Though I think that’s a bad idea anyway as it’s better to make it super obvious on how to report so people actually do it.

A counterpoint to moving it would be that it would swap sides between desktop and mobile, which if anything makes things confusing and non-intuitive. You already added why this layout good for mobile so swapping that around to make everything consistent seems like a worse idea.

Dex-chan lover
I like where "Report", "Like", and "Reply" buttons are right now. It falls in line with all the other webforums I use.

Dex-chan lover
let's see, in many languages that read left to right you'll end your sentences at the rightmost corner of the textobox, as such, it is easyer and more intuitive to just look down a little from where the sentence ended to interact with the post

Dex-chan lover
let's see, in many languages that read left to right you'll end your sentences at the rightmost corner of the textobox, as such, it is easyer and more intuitive to just look down a little from where the sentence ended to interact with the post
This argument would apply in the case that everyone's final sentence ends near the rightmost corner of the textbox, which is not consistently the case, especially when you factor in short comments, and even then highly depends on window size due to the flexible width. Beyond that, when the next thing you look at it is the reactions area at the left, the rightmost corner is rarely where you end. Which again, is also influenced by the window size, as when you have small screen estate available, these corners will be near each other.

Dex-chan lover
This argument would apply in the case that everyone's final sentence ends near the rightmost corner of the textbox, which is not consistently the case, especially when you factor in short comments, and even then highly depends on window size due to the flexible width. Beyond that, when the next thing you look at it is the reactions area at the left, the rightmost corner is rarely where you end. Which again, is also influenced by the window size, as when you have small screen estate available, these corners will be near each other.
well, in a short comment, if ou look down youll see a report button, then keep going right and, thats right. theres the reaction button

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread