Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~ - Ch. 97 - Turning Point III

Dex-chan lover
Norn has her priorities more straight than her (mentally "50" y/o) brother.
You act from the premise that going to help is an objectively correct choice. Which it isn't. The primary responsibility of Rudy is taking care and providing for his family, which is Sylphy and others in his household.

Going to help his father, considering his circumstances, is actually a selfish decision. It's something important mostly to him, and it's putting his family's future at no insignificant risk. The only reason he can even entertain the choice is because he already has many friends and allies in the city, who can help his family, even if he dies.

Dex-chan lover
Rudy is a great character. Great as person, debatable, but MCs don't need to be a great person to make a great story. Rudy starts very low as person and through living in his second life he can become a person satisfied of his life, unlike his previous life.
He became a bit better of a person than he was before, but for some reason people want to see him get punished more for his behavior

Dex-chan lover
He became a bit better of a person than he was before, but for some reason people want to see him get punished more for his behavior
Yeah, he is not really an evil person yet people act like he is one. He has done lots of questionable actions for sure, that might have lead into immoral territory, I'm speaking of Eris and to a lesser extent Sylphy in their kid days, Rudy had desire for them not unlike a sexual deviant, a groomer, but thankfully he didn't go too far (as in he didn't scar Eris and Sylphy any trauma inflicted from a pedophile to a kid as far as I know, though admittedly I don't know much on the subject. Future spoiler:
does it count that Sylphy and Eris are willing to share Rudy because they feel of some self worth issue? Rudy isn't directly responsible for that but I do think he's a little involved in that self worth issue. There are times Eris feels down due to Rudy being "genius", also she acknowledge that no men would want a girl like her and she is convinced only Rudy would accept her. Sylphy got the whole discrimination against her hair, Rudy looked like some kind of "savior" towards her
). He also made mistakes like I remember about those demon kid adventurers where he preferred to wait before helping, leading to death to some of them and it made Ruijerd really angry at him.

He's really far away from a good person, but he's still trying his best to become something better than his previous life. Also, unlike most isekai manga where MC usually ends taking role of "some dude trying to do good to the world", Rudy is mostly interested in having an average, fulfilling life (learn some magic, get money, have house, have family). Rudy doesn't have any grandiose ambition IIRC (does spreading the cult of Roxy count?)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
tell that to child rudeus
The child rudeus who was basically a 40 y/o guy in disguise? that child rudeus? the guy who could read and write when he was like, 2? and use magic at 3? Are these guys even reading this series?

Everyone here saying rudeus is thrash is simply taking the viewpoint of our world and placing it on the story. Having a baby in the middle ages could be fatal, and even if this world has magic, that doesnt change the fact of a miscarriege.
Rudeus could very well be gone for 2+ years, only to come back and find that his wife died 1.5 years ago while giving birth, not to mention his child and 10 y/o sisters who basically depend on him for survival.

Im not saying i agree with the choice of abandoning your parents to their luck, cause i certainly dont, despite all i said before, i still think i would go and try to help them.
But i can see where Rudeus is coming from, and its not an unreasonable or trashy decision at all.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I love how sime people get Rudeus and other people are angry that Rudeus is a garbage of a human being and kinda don't get that that's kinda the point. And the world he lives in isn't much better.

And the world he lives in isn't much better.

Rudeus is more like Subaru from Re:Zero. They are not self inserted characters, and yeah. You are going to cringe at their choices. You're meant to. They are flawed human beings.

As for the pedo remarks. Yup. He really does fit in. I really hope he tries to shield his sisters from the messed up society that they live in.

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, he is not really an evil person yet people act like he is one. He has done lots of questionable actions for sure, that might have lead into immoral territory, I'm speaking of Eris and to a lesser extent Sylphy in their kid days, Rudy had desire for them not unlike a sexual deviant, a groomer, but thankfully he didn't go too far (as in he didn't scar Eris and Sylphy any trauma inflicted from a pedophile to a kid as far as I know, though admittedly I don't know much on the subject. Future spoiler:
does it count that Sylphy and Eris are willing to share Rudy because they feel of some self worth issue? Rudy isn't directly responsible for that but I do think he's a little involved in that self worth issue. There are times Eris feels down due to Rudy being "genius", also she acknowledge that no men would want a girl like her and she is convinced only Rudy would accept her. Sylphy got the whole discrimination against her hair, Rudy looked like some kind of "savior" towards her
). He also made mistakes like I remember about those demon kid adventurers where he preferred to wait before helping, leading to death to some of them and it made Ruijerd really angry at him.

He's really far away from a good person, but he's still trying his best to become something better than his previous life. Also, unlike most isekai manga where MC usually ends taking role of "some dude trying to do good to the world", Rudy is mostly interested in having an average, fulfilling life (learn some magic, get money, have house, have family). Rudy doesn't have any grandiose ambition IIRC (does spreading the cult of Roxy count?)
many of r/anime really want some "justice boner" to be served. The best part is: They are probably still watching every season.

Dex-chan lover
many of r/anime really want some "justice boner" to be served. The best part is: They are probably still watching every season.
Those people are manchildren.

People have flaws and even "evil" people have their own good sides, things arent black and white were even if we can excuse that view due to the balkanization of the political spectrum to a point that doesnt change that 1 dimensional characters are not interesting, I suspect one main reasons we have so much Isekai is people start reading but switch series very fast because even if they want the power fantasy they grow bored of the cast rather fast and look for more in another series.

This is why this series is rather different, the power fantasy along with the harem is here but the execution is very different.

That said ... he isnt going to wait for the mating season ... SAD! since I like the beastgirls but I am aware they are not going to be part of the Rudeus Family.

Dex-chan lover
One thing I think people forget is that Eris was raised in a Asuran noble family which often practiced polygamy and Sylphie spent a year in the epicenter of debauchery that is the silver palace and also spent 4 years having her worth as a woman degraded by Luke.

Dex-chan lover
The child rudeus who was basically a 40 y/o guy in disguise? that child rudeus? the guy who could read and write when he was like, 2? and use magic at 3? Are these guys even reading this series?
a) not my point at all as far as everyone else in the world is concerned rudy left home to work at age 5 and went on a journey to a much more dangerous continent at age 10 norn at this point in the series is 12 (which is the problem with the manga making her look as though she's like 5) while yes def still young accoring to the worlds standards ain't no freking big deal to travel alone if she so chooses
Everyone here saying rudeus is thrash is simply taking the viewpoint of our world and placing it on the story. Having a baby in the middle ages could be fatal, and even if this world has magic, that doesnt change the fact of a miscarriege.
b) i said nothing about the kid but as far as this is concerned this is also addressed healing magic made deliveries like over 90% survivable still not as high as our modern times but def not comparable to our world circumstance
Rudeus could very well be gone for 2+ years, only to come back and find that his wife died 1.5 years ago while giving birth, not to mention his child and 10 y/o sisters who basically depend on him for survival.
c) yes and that's a risk to asses but has nothing to do with norn leaving
Im not saying i agree with the choice of abandoning your parents to their luck, cause i certainly dont, despite all i said before, i still think i would go and try to help them.
But i can see where Rudeus is coming from, and its not an unreasonable or trashy decision at all.
my point of the comment is that it's very hypocritical of Rudy to do this when yes while he was 40x y/o he knew nothing about the world and still chose to leave his home at a much earlier age then norn did both with a known set mission and destination.
Also while yes Norn is nowhere near as capible as Rudy was at that age she's still capable enough to defend herself something that the manga seemed to ommit. at this point in time Norn has been training with Rudy swordsmanship for over half a year (from the point of their conflict where she locked herself in her room) and Rudy has already agreed that she has far surpassed him.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
People here seem to forget that in her last reincarnation Sylphy could have been a ninety year old woman when she died. Eris might have been a 48 year old businessman who had a coronary. Norn may have been a fifty-six year old drunk driver. All of whom would be "older" than Rudy when they died.
Just because Rudy miraculously remembers his past life and they don't, doesn't make him older and a pedo.

Also while yes Norn is nowhere near as capible as Rudy was at that age she's still capable enough to defend herself something that the manga seemed to ommit. at this point in time Norn has been training with Rudy swordsmanship for over half a year (from the point of their conflict where she locked herself in her room) and Rudy has already agreed that she has far surpassed him.
Norn has not been training with Rudy at this point in the story, that comes later. I don't know if I am misinterpreting your last sentence here but Norn has not and will not surpass Rudy in terms of swordsmanship. The only thing Rudy has mentioned that Norn has surpassed him is in regards to being able to move on from being a shut in.

Dex-chan lover
People here seem to forget that in her last reincarnation Sylphy could have been a ninety year old woman when she died. Eris might have been a 48 year old businessman who had a coronary. Norn may have been a fifty-six year old drunk driver. All of whom would be "older" than Rudy when they died.
Just because Rudy miraculously remembers his past life and they don't, doesn't make him older and a pedo.
This is some weird defense ngl. One issue with pedophilia is an adult with developed mind, experienced and knowledge advantage over a naïve child, and will use those to exploit said child for sexual gratification, and will cause irreparable, psychological damage on the child. Let's take your example of 90 years old woman reincarnated into Sylphy, but she doesn't remember her past, so she basically starts as blank slate, she is effectively a kid when she's a kid, then it simply doesn't matter, she can be took advantage by a pedophile. IIRC, Rudeus was kind predatory, thinking in terms of dating sim, he does stuff to win "relationship points" with Sylphy rather than being a normal person and simply befriending her, he had some expectation out of her.

Though Rudeus wanted to started a new life, he failed to consider that much of his knowledge, experience is actually something of degenerate in the way he used them. He basically did the same with Eris, I think at some point he also sexually harassed her (the one the comes to my mind is the anime scene where Eris felt she was dreaming when Ruijerd finally consider her a warrior, so he asked Rudy to slap/pinch her to see if she's dreaming, Rudy of course took advantage to feel her up). Rudy's past life has unfortunately a very big influence on him and only someone like Nanahoshi can call him out, because the isekai world he is in has a very different moral compared to our own.

The more you think about this story, the more you can see the writer put a lot of thought in it.

Dex-chan lover
Norn has not been training with Rudy at this point in the story, that comes later. I don't know if I am misinterpreting your last sentence here but Norn has not and will not surpass Rudy in terms of swordsmanship. The only thing Rudy has mentioned that Norn has surpassed him is in regards to being able to move on from being a shut in.
it wasn't mentioned in the manga because it was skipped over in the manga i'm pretty sure but just like (i think) the manga also skipped how rudy actually left the milishion continent (where he had some trouble actually boarding the 2nd ship) so to did it skip this (if i remember correctly)
though i could be entirely wrong and she starts training after the end of the next arc but i'm pretty sure she's started already. it's also prob not shown as we don't actually see her swordsmanship at any point in the series but it is def stated at one point that she starts training with Eris because Rudy can't teach her anymore

Last edited:
though i could be entirely wrong and she starts training after the end of the next arc but i'm pretty sure she's started already. it's also prob not shown as we don't actually see her swordsmanship at any point in the series but it is def stated at one point that she starts training with Eris because Rudy can't teach her anymore
Norn only starts training with a sword with Rudy specifically because her father died. And Eris only shows Norn a few things in regards to swordsmanship and Norn for the most part trains by herself after the events of vol. 15 in the LN. This is because Rudy gets really busy after he gets a "job".

Aggregator gang
Did the manga actually address the whole "grand daughter" thing and I missed it? I know it was in the novel but if this was the only time it is actually mentioned that would be seriously confusing for those who only read the manga.
it was mentioned like 20 chapters ago, iirc it was in a .5 chapter and it was before the sylphy = fitz reveal.

Dex-chan lover
I cbf reading all the comments but I saw one guy say Rudy is a pos for not going right away to rescue his mother, like completely ignoring the fact the Human god was straight up saying he will regret it (and he’s been correct about everything else so far), I think it’s pretty obvious if he wasn’t told that he would 100% have made the decision to go by himself. Between that and the fact he would have to leave his friends,sisters,wife & child at the school for over a year who could blame him for making that decision??? It’s realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread