Mushoku Tensei ~Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu~ - Vol. 10 Ch. 48 - A Gaping Hole In My Chest

Dex-chan lover
Sigh i hate when authors pull that shit: "OMG the MC is dead so terrible!!" Just to plot fix everything a bit later with zero aftereffects.

Remember a player that on a pen an paper game boasted of his adventures on a tavern and he was laughed at as a liar because he looked like a pretty boy with no scars (props to the team cleric and those sweet healing spells, but usually healing magic access is not like getting a coffee) to prove that he was a veteran
What i want to say with that is that if something serious like dieing has no impact at all on the character afterwards, it becomes as trivial as remembering when you tripped on the street. And that was an example of GM saying "Rocks fall everyone dies."then fixing it later with "just kidding it was all a nightmare or didnt happen at all" theres NO point on doing that aside for the initial shock factor

At least in RE:Zero death had a meaning and it was so nasty that despite having a certain degree of inmortality due to his save respawning usually Subaru wasnt eager to experience it again unless with a damn good reason (aside "what if" scenario where he eventually got acustomed to it and arranged painless deaths for himself)

Dex-chan lover
@Bearil

it's not that there's NO lasting effects. They're just psychological rather than physical. That's what makes Orsted so terrifying. Instantly blew away Rujierd, the strongest Supard, blew a hole in Rudi's chest, and then instantly fixed him with no trace of damage. He's a master of literally everything in the world.

It's less about scaring you the MC is dead and more about scaring you about Orsted

Fed-Kun's army
I don't know if they actually changed it that much, or if it was just something I misread the first time around, but the conversations about the curses stuff made a lot more sense this time

Dex-chan lover
@nobaka Well the aftereffect were akin to "oh i died kinda sucks, well better to not piss that guy again if we meet". Thats just bad narrative akin to a GM flaying alive with a spell to show how powerful the new foe is just for the player to simply pop a healing potion and saying in character "its cool i still have a few critical healing potions on my pouch"

No offence but Rudeus looked as detached as if he were playing a character named like himself and just got killed for fucking around just to be ressed inmediatly saving him the effort to create a new one

Even if he was killed so fast he didnt notice after he awoken he shouldnt have acted like that

@WeaWeab you should've kept the numbers coz now its a freaking mess. Imagine someone reading it now from the start and rereading this part.

Fug

Welp that happened I guess, now back to the adventure? So frickin weird

Dex-chan lover
For those wondering Nanahoshi is important for Orsted to being able to get to Hitogami so her telling Orsted to let Rudeus live makes it impossible for Orsted to ignore it. At least if I’m remembering what happens correctly

Dex-chan lover
Mm. 3 maybe 5 more chapters before the beginning of the Boss Arc. Ah. Right. Etto. In the follow chapters some people will be satisfied. Also also. There's probably going to be some hate. Ah! That's right! Behold! The Conquests of Rudeus Greyrat!

Mm. No spoilers!

Code:
Mod Note: Please use spoiler tags when talking about chapter-specific or future events.

Aggregator gang
This is already Rudeus' second life. He's gone most of it so far being grateful that he's got a second chance at all - dying as a result of divine intervention isn't anything special to him, because he knows that he never deserved a second chance to begin with.

I think you may be undervaluing the mystery of that second character Nanahoshi - what's she curious about? How did she convince Orsted to resurrect Rudeus? What the hell is going on in the background?

None of this is important to Rudeus. He wasn't even alive when a god and a masked unknown had a chat about whether he could continue playing the game or not. As far as he's concerned, it just happened, no ifs, whys, or buts. Because what is he supposed to do about it? He didn't choose to be resurrected as Rudeus Greyrat either. By the time he had figured out his past memories, he'd already been growing up as Rudeus Greyrat for years. Was he supposed to question that? He's learned to accept that things can just happen, with no real motivation or reason or explanation.

Nanahoshi and Orsted hadn't said anything, and Eris isn't in any state to talk about it, and dealing with her is a more immediate issue than asking the reasons behind his resurrection. He says this himself: "To go so far as to save someone you just killed... What are they thinking?" He immediately moves on to asking about Eris and Ruijerd. That's the pattern he has developed since day one with Hitogami: he reminds himself these godlike beings are incomprehensible, and that trying to figure it out just results in teasing and headache - so he just gives up on that stress, and he moves on with actual life. That's what he's trying to do as Rudeus - forget the stress and just try to get the most out of this life in the moment. If he got too concerned that he died, it would just break character.

Dex-chan lover
Coming back from the dead is nothing you should shrug off like nothing. The mind is just not designed to die and "insert coin to continue with no issues"

Rudeus coming back without any mind damage or phantom pain (or ANYTHING) is ridiculous and remembers me to Dragon Ball deaths, "hey guys guess well be summoning Shenron again!". In Dragon Ball settings death is so casualized and such a slap on the wrist that most of the time any character dieing wasnt a big deal (Probably first serious death were Master Roshi and Krillin ones against Piccolo and his minions until we discover that Kami can "revive" Shenron)
Casualizing death with "hey guess im not dead after all, and im perfectly fine so lets focus on one of my waifus because gotta get your priorities damn right" devalues the entire scene: Why bother adding it then when it gets inmediatly cancelled? There were plenty of ways to show he was out of Rudeus league instead of resorting to that.

Hell i wouldnt be complaining if Rudeus felt like he died with just the killer instint just to notice it was all on his mind. Its an old and used trick but it works perfectly fine and shows clearly "if i mess with this guy it wont be even a fight but a one sided slaughter" And the hints Rudeus companions were giving everyone (sans Rudeus that seemed he was lacking half a brain on that scene) knew already that something real bad could happen if Rudeus messed with him

Y'all don't even know how good this shit is gonna get. Just you wait.

Im gonna guess the manga will adapt the Light Novel vol 7, wich content is orinal and not present on the Web Novel version, so there should be some chapters before the
Obligatory school arc

Fed-Kun's army
o wait i read about this one? is dis the real life? is dis just deja vu? fucking expectation...

Dex-chan lover
@Bearil
give it time. You'll see the affect this has had on him whenever he comes across anyone or anything related to Orsted from here on out.

Oh frak, reading this reminds me that I should finish off the last few volumes of the web novel...

And goddamn, I joined at the sweetest most enjoyable time with Eris. :)

Nanahoshi, though, looks a lot different than I imagined.

Users who are viewing this thread