Musume no Tomodachi - Vol. 4 Ch. 32 - Drowning Fish

Dex-chan lover
The only thing I'm getting out of this manga is that I should never have children or bother becoming a productive member of society.

Author must be Bizarro Abe.

Dex-chan lover
@Acolytus
Just have some self-respect and a little backbone at work + don't fool around with your kids' friends
and you should be good

So just because he is some years older he doesn't have the right to screw up but daughter does I don't really understand how people think losing your wife is lighter than losing your mom. He lost his wife and his life partner I think he TOO has the right to screw up and that's understandable tho I don't think he really screwed up

Dex-chan lover
Everybody can screw up.
But there are consequences to screw ups (especially if you're an adult with a family), and in this case they're pretty huge as expected

I just don't understand the constant bashing/insulting of the daughter
To me her reaction is understandable

The girl hits on her friend's dad and everybody's fine with that.
The dad doesn't stop it immediately and instead has a secret relationship with said girl and everybody's fine with that.
The daughter completely freaks out upon realization of what was going on behind her back, doesn't want to see her dad and isn't interested in what he has to say (again, perfectly understanble imo given the situation) ----> "what a bitch, get raped plz lol"

😒

Dex-chan lover
That's the issue. It's not JUST losing his wife. It's also the fact his daughter became estranged, he became solely responsible for providing, (which lead him to work himself to death at a black company) isolating himself and falling further into his depression and being unable to reconnect with anyone or anything. If he was able to make ends meet alone, that would be one thing, but the fact that his daughter is so uncooperative-regardless of how he extends that olive branch- and how all the work he puts into raising her and trying to provide for his family whilst still being a pillar of support, when he himself isn't in the best mental state, shows that he's going through so much more. Whilst losing your mother is terrible, losing the woman you love and having the person who reminds you the most of her hate you, all the while you're stuck in an office job that's draining you and working you to death surrounded by a seemingly indifferent society, I think it's fair to say he's got a bit more on his plate than his daughter does.
@jolynehoestar

@jazz9
That's the point. Everyone can screw up.
But in this case the daughter is the most unreasonable one.
Both of them lost the mother but the daughter had the option to just run away into her room and close off. He deosn't have that luxury. He stops they both lose. Has he had time to grieve we don't know. All we know is he is getting shit from work and from home. The place where he should at least have some reprieve.
Also, the fact that the daughter does not think of anything but herself shows how a sheltered life she has had.
It seems the mother was the lynch pin of the family and when she is gone, They are both lost. But one can act as they want the other can't.
SO when he meets someone who just let;s him breathe, even though it's wrong. I can understand him just wanting to not drown.

Dex-chan lover
jesus christ, you're ok dude, stop beating yourself up
but i guess it's hard to not when literally everyone around you, in this case, are complete assholes
finding solace in a younger girl shouldn't be that big of a deal, he drew boundaries
this guy never hit his kid, provided for em, cared for em, was thoughtful about her feelings, etc. etc.
sure, he was busy, but he never stopped caring
this girl needs to get her head out of her own ass, seriously, i just can't vibe with her, man

I will say it again. No one is bad in this manga. Just people struggling with life.
Empathy, how does it work?

Dex-chan lover
The hate for the daughter is completely overblown, but not unjustified. It would only be appropriate that she faces the consequences of her actions (no, not fucking rape) because being a teenager does not automatically give her a pass from everything, just as her father is currently drowning in his. Then again, the consequences may just be the loss of her dad.

Aggregator gang
Some people blame the daughter, while the others blame the dad. But I still can't blame them both.
The daughter is unreasonable, sure. But she's still a teenager; she doesn't know better. She just happened to get her rebellious phase on the worst timing possible.
The father played with fire, indeed. But he has backed into a corner with no one else to offer their hands. And then come a single thread giving a glimmer of hope. I think it's understandable that he'd desperately cling unto that thread eventhough he know the thread would snap at any given moment and he would fall into another hell as a result.

I can only blame the author for playing with my fickle heart.

Dex-chan lover
No one talking about the seductress who started this mess though? lol Trying to romance your best friend's parent is hella sus.

Koto is second worst if only because she hasn't put that detective effort into figuring out what her dad's going through. Guess he must've pissed her off pretty badly.

Pops is tied with Koto for touching a high schooler. Plain and simple you don't do that. Put yourself into a parent's shoes for a hot minute...

...now imagine your kid, who went from pampers to prom, suddenly getting penetrated by an ossan. Hhhmm...yuck.

Japan's culture advocates a certain amount of nosiness too. Like, even a former student going out with their former teacher is out. So you KNOW this shit here is out.

Dex-chan lover
My dislike for the daughter stems from her severe lack of empathy.

The MC is a screw-up, but he's trying to do his best for his daughter and even tries to wait until his lover is an adult to do the deed.

Kii-chan has issues, but she has her screwed up mom as a decent excuse and shows the MC genuine affection, even if she's also messing with him for her own purposes at the same time.

Miya is completely self-centered. She leaves the dad alone to wallow in her own sadness while getting offended that her best friend and father hook up in her abscence. Gee, a lonely man and a lonely girl hook-up, I better get mad that they try to ease their loneliness together. If Miya's going to act like she owes nothing to her father, then her father owes nothing to her.

Dex-chan lover
I swear, some people in here are ignorant that even adults when backed in a corner aren't allowed to make mistakes. Show a little compassion and understanding. Desperate people cling to hope even when the support isn't fully correct

Lets put down the information of what we know

Dad
Wife of many years passed away
Works for a black company. Black companys are businesses that rely on people solely to create profit for them that have little regard for a humans personal life and health. You are expendable.
Works in management creating a high stress work enviroment
His daughter became enstranged cutting off social interaction because of wife's passing. A shut in not attending school.
Severely depressed from a draining mandatory job and lack of support
Daughter unresponsive even in attempts to converse

Daughter
Loss of mother. A guide to life
A shut in not attending school. Missing social interaction, an important step at a young age.
Lack of support besides the few times her father responding

Daughters friend
Manipulative mother that has little regard of her feelings
Missing father who is in a taboo relationship with another woman
Missing a guide into adult hood
Responds to older man in a sexual manner because lack of father figure

Now that the ground work is set lets review what has happened

Father is in a volatile state clinging to embers for some light. Is on a path of loneliness without support. Up and comes some love but happens to be an underage girl and the friend of his daughter. She in her stead has a dark background lacking love too. Both try to heal but it is very taboo.

Father attempts to fight off daughters friend affection but the amount of stress and lack of support/love reaches a breaking point. Not necessarily dating but mingling dangerously. Found a small source of light.

Daughter finally opens up at fathers attempts to reconcile. Notices odd behavior and sherlock holmes a theory.

Father comes to senses and attempts to break off taboo relationship. Daughter finds out and rebels by shutting in and running away. Shrugs off any apologetic response from father.

Both daughter and father are in the wrong but the father is in many attempts trying to find some common ground to work out problems for stability. Attempts are void because daughter is rebelling lacking empathy for father only judging problems at a face value.

It is a screwed up situation. Attempts are being made and the father is at a critical breaking point and will snap.

Fed-Kun's army
@jazz9 how can we, we don't see the story through the daughter's eyes what you're saying is all speculation.
We can't sympathize with the daughter, the author has not given us anything to work with on that level.
What author has given us about the daughter is that she's nosy, selfish and self centered.
What we see through MC's eyes is the daughter doing whatever she pleases, daughter even went as far to saying that he can't have a relationship due to his deceased wife as some sort of punishment.
So going by what she said, if it wasn't koto and turned out to be his co-worker, that he "supposedly" has a relationship with, she would give the same reaction.
Most of our arguments are based on what author has shown us through the MC we're not making jabs with baseless speculations like you guys.

tl:dr we can't understand the daughter's situation because the author has not given us much info on that, anything beyond what we know is speculation and assumptions. Author has written the daughter as a bitch deal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread