Musume no Tomodachi - Vol. 5 Ch. 44 - Cat

@Kalamel

I agree mother is manipulating Koto... It's a perfect example of parental alienation. And usually this is a VERY BAD thing (there is a lot of "justified parental estrangement" , but that's not really the case). In our (audience) view, Koto's mother IS PLAINLY wrong, period. But a father who cares for the child wouldn't do what he does, coming back home after Author knows when, just asking for her without even actively going to her bedroom or calling her or whatever... And, when he finally sees her, his only words for her are of despise, right in her face... I cannot see any reedeming qualities on him.

MC is also kind of a coward who hasn't been treating Miya well too, but Author shows us at least that he really cares and try to talk and listen to her...

@Macarena

I would tell you what I agree and disagree with, but we're just gonna end up in circles lol. At the end of the day you believe Miya could have fixed this whole situation and I don't.

Given that she is the breaking point her being the problem is objectively true.

I understand that given the narrative we are more empathetic to Kousuke since we see the story from his pov, but I'm still surprised that people don't seem to understand Miya's actions.

Its not that we dont understand, its whether its justified (and to what extent) that we disagree on.

We don't know how their relationship was prior to the start of the manga, but even without taking that into account. Miya closed herself up and after deciding to try to live "normally" again with her father not only does she realize that he's having a relationship but that said relationship just so happened to be with her best friend who also happens to be a minor. I mean, if Miya would have been chill about the whole situation I would have called bullshit lol.

Given Miyas immature world view on working, we can assume that she saw her father (prior to his wifes death) in a negative light. Now to what extent we do not know. Also Its as if his relationship with Koto spawned from the lack of emotional comfort that Miya was suppose to give. But hey lets just ignore that lol.

As for Kousuke being a good or bad dad. He has shown a bunch of times that he knows his relationship with Koto is wrong, he has shown doubt numerous times, he has known since the start that it would hurt Miya, and he did nothing to either change his situation of prepare his daughter for it. We know he cares, but from the pov of Miya wouldn't he seem uncaring?

Again its as if hes finding comfort in another place because the place that he was suppose to get it he didnt. Also lets not make it seems like its easier said that done. When you ask for Kousuke to let go of Koto, you have to take into consideration what their relationship is built on and what it means. Given their relationship it makes much more sense for them to not break apart. This whole "does he care for Miya" is honestly disrespectful, because its MIYAS lack of caring that has caused all of this.

She tried to confront him and he denied everything (out of fear, but we are the ones who know that, not Miya) and then after everything went to shit because he was seen by his daughter and by his coworker, Miya confronts him again and he offers to leave town, wouldn't he seem selfish? To Miya it looked like he was running away (and he kind of was, half because he was fed up and half because he cared, but again, Miya doesn't know that because Kousuke has not been honest with her -he has not been honest with anyone aside from Koto, but that's beside the point-).

Okay we're having an honest discussion here so lets not skip over the fact where Kousuke had a conversation with his parents. Of which pushed him over the edge on whether or not he would ask Miya about moving. Also this whole hes selfish, really makes no sense. After all it was Miyas decision on whether they would stay or not. So calling him selfish logically makes no sense, if he was selfish he would have every right to tell her to pack up with no input from her. Her getting mad to such a degree is utterly baseless because its under the notion that her father was being selfish.

Neither Kousuke nor Miya nor Koto have perfect decision making abilities nor have the purest of feelings, and that's what makes this interesting. For me, at least.

Completely agree. I would simply add the fact that its due to Miyas immaturity that we're even where we're.

All in all, I'm gonna keep defending Miya because it doesn't sit well with me seeing people call her selfish and ungrateful and what not because she wasn't accepting of her grown ass father having a relationship with her best friend.

I dont think ive ever argued if she should be accepting or not to the relationship. But I do agree that shes selfish and ungrateful. Selfish in that she assumes that her dad did not grieve the loss of his wife. Selfish in that she was not willing to talk things out with her father and selfish for just being alone. Ungrateful because despite having a loving father she treats him like trash. Ungrateful in that despite her father that wants to help her, she disregards him in order to justify her hate towards him.

You can like Miya, but the simple fact is that Miya is the true villain in the story and if she had acted more her age the characters in the story wouldn't be in such scenarios.

Dex-chan lover
How dare she say a cat is a worthless animal!! Her mother's a bitch and the father's a asshole.

how the fuck can you emotionally gaslight your child like that during their formative years, this mother is a trash human being

God damn! Her parents are awful, though her mom is the worst. Not only are the both selfish they are completely incompatible and have unresolvable differences on how they view the world. They are tearing their poor daughter about.

Double-page supporter
So she does have daddy issues.

Mom and dad are both fucked up. But who ruined the other? So far, we know he's been a workaholic or at least hid behind this facade.

Users who are viewing this thread