My Dearest Nemesis - Ch. 21 - You got a problem with that?

Fed-Kun's army
"Anger comes from the heart. Evil comes from adrenaline" is one of the best lines I've read all year ahaha

Seriously loving ALL these idiots.

Group Leader
Come on, that's kind of rude. I spent hours working on this. I only picked this up because people were requesting it as it hasn't updated in over two months.
Did you know that we also spent hours working on this exact chapter, already know how to properly rip raws, already know how to properly integrate uncensored raws, and have the care and experience to translate, typeset, and redraw with quality? Sniping is an absolutely unnecessary duplication of work. What may look like two months of inactivity is an immense amount of behind the scenes quality control as well as inherent passion for the series despite personal life stressors. Most people don't post more than one or two chapters of a snipe for a reason. They get bored or too busy. We're not like that.

If you're actually doing this in good faith, then communicate before attempting to waste our work and learn how to scanlate before you disrespect our series with this atrocity.

Dex-chan lover
Did you know that we also spent hours working on this exact chapter, already know how to properly rip raws, already know how to properly integrate uncensored raws, and have the care and experience to translate, typeset, and redraw with quality? Sniping is an absolutely unnecessary duplication of work. What may look like two months of inactivity is an immense amount of behind the scenes quality control as well as inherent passion for the series despite personal life stressors. Most people don't post more than one or two chapters of a snipe for a reason. They get bored or too busy. We're not like that.

If you're actually doing this in good faith, then communicate before attempting to waste our work and learn how to scanlate before you disrespect our series with this atrocity.
And there you have it people, whoever think sniping is fine, from the mouth of the group translating more explanations why sniping is a shitty thing to do and also why it's frowned upon.

And before anyone tries to argue against it, that sentiment is widespread, only groups who ignore that tend to be extremely half assed work, with poor translation, typeset and editing, if not even mtl.

Group Leader
If what they are doing is sniping, ok.
What you going to do about it?

I'm not a translator but if you make an unwritten rule, don't blame anyone but yourself if someone doesn't follow it...
Also isn't attacking people for not following unwritten rules literally abelist against neurodiverse people mm?
As an autistic person, being berated for unwritten rules is a very negative experience.

You are saying that the translaters do this from their own good will and we need to respect that.
Yet you don't respect this translator for taking their free time to add their own translation for the community?

If you guys are calling that sniping I clearly have no idea how your community works but sounds unreasonable.
Autistic bitches assemble😂 we gathered here for Jiang didn't we

Group Leader
i came here to bitch about jiang being to autistic to realize when someone is trying to snake her right to her face but i see there's some autism here in the forum too.
i don't know much about the unspoken rules of translating things but honestly i think gatekeeping something over arbitrary made up principles when the work anyone doing here is mostly thankless in the first place is kind of shitty. i understand the sentiment behind the argument, ultimately we consumers who the vast majority are reading these translations don't pay a dime for them nor even recognize the translators in question; just want to read as much as we can. to get the most we can requires a healthy ecosystem for those who do the hard work of actually translating and that environment requires some maintenance from the community. but i disagree with the idea that simply having a rule of "don't pick something up unless its been languishing for a minimum of 6 months" is an effective solution to that problem. though neither do i think first come first serve works either, i mean then there is the danger that 2 people end up working on a series at literally the same time stepping on each other's toes. rather i think the best way to determine if a work has been dropped by a translator (even if only temporarily) is to literally just ask them. so if i was to desire anything from a prospecting translator looking at a series that hasn't updated in a while, it would be to put some real effort into finding out if the translator before them is still working on it or not. if you cant get a communication from them until after a month, then i think that sort of arbitrary rule is more in line with good etiquette than anything else.
ill say nothing of the quality of the translation, i've read a lot of manga and manhwa, quality is very hit or miss when you really get into the weeds. i don't think quality alone is a way to determine if someone is intentionally sniping a work from another translator and i further don't think that someone intentionally sniping a work would spend so much time defending themselves. so i hope the translator and their critics have considered my words as i think it would be in everyone's benefit if they did.
I really do appreciate any feedback and criticism! Quality control is important and I want the chapters to be good for people

Aggregator gang
This is an unfortunate misunderstanding by a newcomer, who was told by others that this was dropped and believed them without verifying. It's a common rookie mistake. I think we can appreciate the altruistic effort put into this while also appreciating the (fairly common) rookie mistake that's seen as rude amongst the more experienced community. Let's not let one diminish the other too much.
Main thing is what to do going forward.
I second the encouragement for Enelreturns to switch to other beloved series that are genuinely dropped like Miss Angel and Miss Devil

Group Leader

I appreciate any constructive criticism! I would love to keep improving the quality, is there anything specific that's bothering you?

Dex-chan lover
I really do appreciate any feedback and criticism! Quality control is important and I want the chapters to be good for people
If you really want to translate things in good faith I recommend you look into Mangadex forum, they have an area all about scanlation, pretty sure they have threads to help people get better at it too, with like tutorials for better raw ripping, typeset and so on, plus you can ask for help too.

I also recommend you ask for suggestions of series that are abandoned, you have a lot of options that won't cause any drama by stepping on someone else toes, series that are literally abandoned for years.

If you're really doing in good faith and is willing to learn I hope this don't sour things for you, but as @cranscape said in the other chapter discussion, most of us have seem the pattern of sniping and how it ends, so most people will always take it poorly no matter your intentions.

Group Leader
This is an unfortunate misunderstanding by a newcomer, who was told by others that this was dropped and believed them without verifying. It's a common rookie mistake. I think we can appreciate the altruistic effort put into this while also appreciating the (fairly common) rookie mistake that's seen as rude amongst the more experienced community. Let's not let one diminish the other too much.
Main thing is what to do going forward.
I second the encouragement for Enelreturns to switch to other beloved series that are genuinely dropped like Miss Angel and Miss Devil

As a reasonably experienced scanlator who's worked with multiple groups over a few years, just want to say a couple things.

I'd like to back up @riverFlower and echo what @MatrixM said above. I don't hold anything against you since releasing a chapter is something that more often than not is done with good intentions. I myself have made many mistakes in the beginning simply because I didn't know what was considered okay.

That being said, your reactions to people giving you advice and stating the norms for your benefit don't reflect well. I can't force you to do anything since scanlation is already legal and moral grey area, but I'd encourage you to work on other series that are confirmed to be dropped if you're truly interested in giving back to the community.

As you rightfully called someone else out for dimishing your efforts, it's also, in turn, not wise to diminish the efforts of the existing scanlation group by sniping them without checking first. More often than not, existing groups will welcome the efforts of someone who wants to speed up releases and work together for higher quality, faster releases, since we're always shorthanded.

Scanlating, as a hobby, is something that operates off a lot of goodwill considering we're putting a lot of passion into things that're given to others for free. And as mentioned before, is a legal and moral grey area due to us distributing someone else's hard work.

So, it's always a good idea to treat others with kindness and reach out to ask before doing something. If, however, one is interested in taking over a series but is unable to get into contact with the existing scanlation team, it's good practice to upload a chapter with a front page asking the existing team to get into contact with you or to confirm.

As with what @T-sama said above as well, I'd recommend you take a look into proper scanlation technique, especially proper raw ripping, as that's what affects readability arguably the most.

Hope this helps and don't hesitate to reach out if you'd like to learn more. If we treat each other with due respect, due respect is given back unto you.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
also, as one guy pointed out, you could've just asked them "hey, ya still doing this or did ya leave it to the dust?"

communication is important in any relationship, whether it's between lovers or scanlators, it's always helpful to just talk or ask about anything important, like helping out with translations and stuff

this beef could've stayed on the cow if you actually bothered to ask

Aggregator gang
"Sniping" windows seem longer and longer every time I hear about them.
I guess that makes sense, helps to protect revenue streams for the big 'definitely amateurs not making money' groups that 'were just about to finish a chapter, damn snipers' whenever someone notices one of their series is dead and there's a risk to their donations.

Dex-chan lover
"Sniping" windows seem longer and longer every time I hear about them.
I guess that makes sense, helps to protect revenue streams for the big 'definitely amateurs not making money' groups that 'were just about to finish a chapter, damn snipers' whenever someone notices one of their series is dead and there's a risk to their donations.
What a shitty take, it was always 6 months for a long time and vast majority of groups don't make any money at all, yeah some accept donations, but so what?

It's the shitty groups that actually try make money out of it by having their own sites full of ads, asking for commission to translate chapter, or even holding chapters hostage behind paywall, they always do half assed speedy release so they can steal attention from a group who was translating a popular series for a long time.

Vast majority of those groups only upload a chapter or two once in while to advertise themselves.

To act like people are into scanlation for donations is laughable, you might as well just be honest that you're happy with sloppy garbage releases.

Users who are viewing this thread