My Dearest Nemesis - Ch. 21 - You got a problem with that?

Group Leader
"Sniping" windows seem longer and longer every time I hear about them.
I guess that makes sense, helps to protect revenue streams for the big 'definitely amateurs not making money' groups that 'were just about to finish a chapter, damn snipers' whenever someone notices one of their series is dead and there's a risk to their donations.
Except the "sniping window" has stayed consistently at 6 months throughout the forum? More experienced scanlators are just nicely suggesting them to turn their attention to series that are confirmed abandoned so something like this, which upsets both the existing and new group, doesn't happen again.

The existing translation group for this series has never and will never ask for donations, so why even bring it up in this forum, and with so much snark?

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Sweet efoutaba, I just came here to ask why the series wasn't marked complete 😭 What happened in these comments 😭

I only do private translation so I don't have a horse in this race but I suppose something like a status modifier (like if a series hasn't had an upload in 6 months, it could say Ongoing - Inactive or something) might help bridge the issue with unspoken community rules? Even just a popup for uploaders with a warning that "This series is currently being uploaded by another user group. Would you like to message them first before proceeding?" Would erase a lot of the well-intentioned toe stepping, I think.

Either way there's still ~22 chapters left so hopefully people figure out something before it becomes an actual conflict between these scanlator groups. Both are just people trying to make something accessible to English-only readers, often for free.

Anyway, support the author if you can!

Except the "sniping window" has stayed consistently at 6 months throughout the forum? More experienced scanlators are just nicely suggesting them to turn their attention to series that are confirmed abandoned so something like this, which upsets both the existing and new group, doesn't happen again.

The existing translation group for this series has never and will never ask for donations, so why even bring it up in this forum, and with so much snark?
You're right, it wasn't appropriate to drop that piece in such a way where it reads as a comment on the group involved here instead of just generic grumbling about snipe drama.

The vast majority of snipe drama I've seen in recent years, though, has involved someone stepping on the toes of a big group that clearly had a backlog waiting to defend their claim. It makes the growth of the concept and the timeframes involved feel inorganic.

Even without that, six months seems pretty ludicrous. Half a year? For a chapter that was created from scratch, in the vast majority of cases, in a week or less? A month at most? Dunno about that.

Dex-chan lover
You're right, it wasn't appropriate to drop that piece in such a way where it reads as a comment on the group involved here instead of just generic grumbling about snipe drama.
Well I retract my meme calling you a clown then, since you didn't actually mean this group.

What you said before was very poorly worded lol
The vast majority of snipe drama I've seen in recent years, though, has involved someone stepping on the toes of a big group that clearly had a backlog waiting to defend their claim. It makes the growth of the concept and the timeframes involved feel inorganic.
From what I noticed at least some of those incidents are by shitty groups I mentioned, it's not that they take 6 months to release a chapter, but that the chapters are hostage behind paywall, so when someone else release a chapter they rush to release one or two token chapters.

I say that because these groups hold chapters for as long as possible, pretty much releasing a chapter each 6 months, and after a while they dump a bunch of chapters at once to try get attention for more money.
Even without that, six months seems pretty ludicrous. Half a year? For a chapter that was created from scratch, in the vast majority of cases, in a week or less? A month at most? Dunno about that.
Although you do have some point, you need to take into account that fan translation is almost always a group effort, one person translates, one do redrawing, another do typesetting, another do proofreading, and another do quality check, because many times it's the only thing they can do, add to that real life distractions and some unintentionally fall behind.

I think what @maibi suggested is ideal, if you don't want to wait 6 months, either contact the group or release a chapter with first page asking for group to contact them, like that there's at least communication on either taking over the series or offering help for faster release.

Also not helping matters is that a lot of snipers are absolutely in bad faith too, with absurdly sloppy release or even barely readable mtl.

Unfortunately people acting so negativity over snipers isn't without reason

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I really do appreciate any feedback and criticism! Quality control is important and I want the chapters to be good for people
the most important thing i said, which other people have also said and which is blatantly obvious now, is that you should always try to confirm with the group working before you that they actually drop a series before you pick it up. this is the only good faith approach to being a translator for a dropped series. and while yes i think the actual quality of your work isn't at the same standard as a team full of people, i'm not going to judge you for it, because i'm sure what you did wasn't completely without merit either, and if the series really was dropped then it wouldn't matter because you'd be the only one who would actually be working on it anyway. unfortunately i cant say anything more on quality since i think one really needs experience as a translator to accurately judge the work, i just read, sure i can tell the difference between one work being cleaner and better than others but at the same time i couldn't tell you how to fix those things. with the proper humility and sincerity though i'm sure if you came to other translators and asked them how to do the things you don't know they would tell you, even those you've gotten off on the wrong foot with. id like to see you continue i'm not sure anyone truly wants less translators to be working, as long as you do it earnestly. so good luck.

Fed-Kun's army
if releasing high quality scanlation is the goal, why would someone releasing a slightly sub-par (no offense enelreturns) version be detrimental to that? those who appreciate or prefer it will patiently wait and read it when it's available

this all just feels to me like entitlement for something illegal anyway so what's the point. or maybe im just clueless to it all 🤷

thanks for the translation enelreturns

Dex-chan lover
I hope the evil one goes to HR and gets the glasses one fired for sexual harassment. Nonconsensually kissing someone is not cool.

Dex-chan lover
Nothing rude at all, it is sniping, the accepted rule is nobody consider a series dropped until it gets to 6 months without updates, the main group did consistent monthly release until now.
fuck off with that idea, 6 months? who decided we should wait for such slow updates? we will end up waiting YEARS if they decided to make a new chapter ever 5 months

Dex-chan lover
the most important thing i said, which other people have also said and which is blatantly obvious now, is that you should always try to confirm with the group working before you that they actually drop a series before you pick it up. this is the only good faith approach to being a translator for a dropped series. and while yes i think the actual quality of your work isn't at the same standard as a team full of people, i'm not going to judge you for it, because i'm sure what you did wasn't completely without merit either, and if the series really was dropped then it wouldn't matter because you'd be the only one who would actually be working on it anyway. unfortunately i cant say anything more on quality since i think one really needs experience as a translator to accurately judge the work, i just read, sure i can tell the difference between one work being cleaner and better than others but at the same time i couldn't tell you how to fix those things. with the proper humility and sincerity though i'm sure if you came to other translators and asked them how to do the things you don't know they would tell you, even those you've gotten off on the wrong foot with. id like to see you continue i'm not sure anyone truly wants less translators to be working, as long as you do it earnestly. so good luck.
can you fick off with that logic? hey you guys are not updaing in what? 4-8 months? still going at it?

ah sorry did’t knew you guys still translate at 5 months per chapter SORRY i guess i will let you guys continue and finish the remaining 50 chapters in a few years! yeah TOTALY OK !

Dex-chan lover
Stupid ass drama imo on a goofy ahh manhwa.

I thought this manhwa was dropped myself cause the updates are/were kinda slow when the raws are pretty far ahead.
In the end, I'm just a reader and have no opinion other than this whole shebang being stupid.
Arguing about a hobby is always going to be goofy in hindsight.

Imagine being 40 something raising a family and you look back and CRINGE at how you spent an hour typing up an argument on a forum about who gets to illegally scan a comic book first.

Users who are viewing this thread