My Girlfriend's Not Here Today - Vol. 4 Ch. 18 - Flowers' Secrets

Nanase falls for weirdos, first it was an attention whore and now a maniac who takes you to fucking amusement park when you are in crutches and while they look good together I can't help but feel that Yuki is just your regular straight girl who is overly friendly with her best friend. Hoping to be wrong so that nanase can have a good relationship but on the other hand Yuni is so goddamn funny like seriously "Maybe I went a bit too far with STUPID" God she truly is a piece of work.
I love that characterization of this chapter. Even though I see it as a bit hyperbolic, it genuinely made me laugh.
I guess there is a kernel of truth behind that statement.

Dex-chan lover
They’re both at fault and both terrible fucking GFs

If things had kept going they most likely would’ve broken up because she was in love with the person but hated the relationship (hence y it was so ez for her to swayed into cheating), she still loved her and didn’t want to lose her but was also dying to have a different type of relationship

There was an action and reaction, cheating was the reaction, the other being a shit gf and neglecting her was the action

Does that make cheating ok? No

But It doesn’t make one a victim and one a perpetrator, they’re both victims and perpetrators

Both r at fault, one for cheating, the other for negligence

Now the way she did handle obviously was trash but what I’m saying is she’s not the only one to blame

she could’ve not cheated and just been upfront with her “if this continues the way it is I won’t be able to stay”

She could’ve broken up with her, if the other actually cared she’d ask for a second chance

In these scenarios she’d be the sole asshole for pushing someone that loved her to even have to state those things

Which loops back to my first point, they were both shot GFs
Yuni was an in universe twitterite who when expressly told "I don't think it would be good for our relationship if it became public" then said fuck you, and posted the entire thing on in universe twitter...which led to her mundane emotions being exploited and exasperated into divorce lawyer consultation levels of hate and acceptance of cheating, then proceeded to mindlessly accept that even if she felt what she was doing was wrong it was not her fault because she was just "being strung along"

Nannase on the other hand is a celebrity in her school system for being one of the most well known of the sports team who has been doing that sport every day for most of her life...it'd be pretty easy to smell something amiss if she one day changed her attitude and what she did with her time, which she fears would cause others who view her as "the club celeb" to go after Yuni if they found out about the relationship...

Nannase has an image to keep up and status that can cause great harm to Yuni if it came out, Yuni was always petulant and was going to do something stupid and detrimental to the relationship even if it wasn't an affair...

If this wasn't NTR she'd have been caught and have caused both her to be the object of hate for the school fans of Nannase, and Nannase would have probably been fighting with her team over staying in a relationship with Yuni

They’re both at fault and both terrible fucking GFs

If things had kept going they most likely would’ve broken up because she was in love with the person but hated the relationship (hence y it was so ez for her to swayed into cheating), she still loved her and didn’t want to lose her but was also dying to have a different type of relationship

There was an action and reaction, cheating was the reaction, the other being a shit gf and neglecting her was the action

Does that make cheating ok? No

But It doesn’t make one a victim and one a perpetrator, they’re both victims and perpetrators

Both r at fault, one for cheating, the other for negligence

Now the way she did handle obviously was trash but what I’m saying is she’s not the only one to blame

she could’ve not cheated and just been upfront with her “if this continues the way it is I won’t be able to stay”

She could’ve broken up with her, if the other actually cared she’d ask for a second chance

In these scenarios she’d be the sole asshole for pushing someone that loved her to even have to state those things

Which loops back to my first point, they were both shot GFs
You and a lot of people in this comment thread fail to seem that there are insanely different amounts of shitiness at play here.
Nanases behaivour could have arisen in any non-toxic relationship, she was a neglectful partner. The longer the relaionship goes on the more negative feeling accumulate, but the relationship could still end in an amicable way. The mistakes Nanase did were of course not good, but understandable and I think could happen to anyone who is very passionate about something.

Unlike Nanase, Yuni could never see the fault in her way and constently made excuses in the most pathetic way. She did something way more hurtfull and unfrogivable and does not even feel guilty about it, she just wants to have it all.

And Fuuko's just fucked up, but that's why we all love her. Always giving that juicy drama.

Dex-chan lover
Fucked up that it takes her gf cheating on her to go on a cute that her gf always wanted… with ANOTHER girl.

well just break up already geeez

Dex-chan lover
Its wild people hate on a high school girl who's in her first relationship because she wasn't a "good" girlfriend.

Well no shit, she doesn't have any experience and her girlfriend never communicated to her about anything. Guarantee none of you were a good gf/bf the first time around.

Yunis the bitch who cheated without even trying to fix anything. Really hope the author ends it and they don't become an on again off again thing. After your girlfriend gets felt up infront of you, and she doesn't resist or try to stop them, you HAVE to cut it off.

Dex-chan lover
You know its not often that a character pisses me off so much that I wish I could just crawl through my screen and punch them. this series has 2 such characters.

Last edited:
A lot of people say bad communication was Yuni's fault, but she did voice out her griefs during their supposedly date at a festival near a shrine (all the volleyclub was there, can't really call that a date). And when Nanase forgot about the anniversary of their relationship, not a quick call or message until midnight to the one who is supposedly very dear to you (can be simply “i'm dead tired/busy af, but damn, i can't wait to be with you soon”, don't need to be a genius for that). Yes being very busy can happen of course, but Nanase is not a soldier during an operation or an intelligence officer or anyone who needs to go on radio silence for a while for security reasons. It was just training that day for her.

After that Nanase herself did say she would do better after that, so that means she's aware of the problem, which she ignores again with the trip to Osaka. Hopefully I don't come out as a parrot since i've already mentionned it, but the way she said it “you're coming to support me, right?”, you put someone on the spot, it's hard to say no (it would have been ez to say no to a random obviously, but to your loved one, friend, boss, anyone of importance ? much harder : wouldn't you do your very best for your best friend asking for a favor ?).
Fuuko was able to say all the simple things Yuni's wanted to hear (again, doesn't take a genius to say “damn you're hawt gurl” when she sent that pic to Nanase instead of “you look kind of different”, that is literally the douchebag answer, or someone who doesn't care -reminder that Nanase confessed to Yuni after the latter complimented her haircut, just throwing that out there).

Moreover, Yuki, Nanase's friend, didn't even notice that Nanase was dating someone and who was that someone, even though that someone is literally right under their nose. That's how cold Nanase appears to be with Yuni, even to a supposedly very observant eye. She loves Nanase (why would she be that happy learning her friend could fall in love, plus her wording “i love you” since she knows she's a lesbian). She was physically closer and intimate with Nanase to the known entourage than Nanase was with Yuni, that's the problem.

It did actually take a cheating for Nanase as a true wake-up call as someone said earlier, as cruel as it sounds. (And before people accuse me of encouraging cheating, the answer is easy, no i don't). And it's good that she's learning, hopefully doing better with Yuki; and yes Yuni should break up but as people said : if you truly love someone, it's not that easy to burn the bridges with them. If it is, you probably didn't really like them. (Even i know that much even though i never fell in love)
That kinda leaves the question : was Nanase truly in love with Yuni ? if not, why would she confess, be the one to even begin the relationship, was she the superficial one, going for a quickie or something ? Or confused about her feelings and mistook it for love ?
One would say fear of rumours : sending flirty messages can be discreet you know. And Fuuko's idea of earrings : very ingenious, no one would make put it together -except maybe Yuki- but for Nanase and Yuni, that would have been a clear signal of love for each other. So there are ways to be intimate with someone and be afraid of the rumours. (How do you think homosexual people have solid relationships in countries where it is sanctionned by death ?)

Dex-chan lover
If you, in any shape or form, support Yuni in this whole ordeal, you need help as much as she does. It is shown again and again that she blames anyone but herself. She is a narcissistic attention whore of the highest order. Even fucking Fuuko calls her out on it in this very chapter.

Man i'm fuming

Dex-chan lover
nah bruh just reading these comments i can tell real quick that NONE of you were paying attention💀💀 yuni didnt break up with nannase bc she fucking loved her but nannse didnt show any love back bro how is that hard to understand???? do u guys lack common sense or what????

Yeah, she showed her love pretty well while fucking some other girls brains out. Very romantic.

Dex-chan lover
To be honest, I don't care about the rest of y'alls "Nanase is a precious angel who did no wrong and Yuni is the devil incarnate" debate.

I'm glad Nanase seems to finally realize she said she would do better as a gf, but never actually followed through with actions.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
If you, in any shape or form, support Yuni in this whole ordeal, you need help as much as she does. It is shown again and again that she blames anyone but herself. She is a narcissistic attention whore of the highest order. Even fucking Fuuko calls her out on it in this very chapter.

Man i'm fuming
Picture this: Fuuko doesn't exist. The story is exactly the same, but she never shows up when Yuni is feeling emotionally vulnerable.

Yuni and Nanase plan a festival date, Nanase's club members show up and she holds hands/shares food and drink/clings to her bestfriend Yuki and leaves Yuni alone.

Their aniversary arrives and Nanase completely forgets despite having the option to leave her club early since she wasn't required to stay and only remembers the next day and promises to do better.

Flash foward to her club game. Nanase wants Yuni to be there, but doesn't bother doing anything to help make that happen and expects her to go to a different city, alone, and with no plans to spend time with her.

Follow this with a trip to the pool. It's Nanase, Yuni, and Nanase's club members where Nanase ditches Yuni, again, to hold hands/share food and drink/cling to her bestfriend.

Now we get a big fight at the internet cafe. Same arguments just without Fuuko. Nanase leaves for a week and ends up going on a date with Yuki, the kind of one on one date Yuni has been desperate for this entire time.

Nanase sounds like a piece of shit, right? The only thing that changed is Yuni cheating with Fuuko. If everything else was exactly the same, I guarantee people would have no issue tearing Nanase a new one.

Its not about "supporting" Yuni. Its about seeing her point of view and understanding Nanase isn't blameless in this.

Dex-chan lover
To be honest, I don't care about the rest of y'alls "Nanase is a precious angel who did no wrong and Yuni is the devil incarnate" debate.

I'm just glad Nanase seems to finally realize she said she would do better as a gf, but never actually followed through with actions.
Nobody actually says Nanase has no fault here. Nice reading comprehension i guess.

However, there are actual people in this very page who think what Yuni did is justified just because Nanase was neglectful.

Dex-chan lover
Picture this: Fuuko doesn't exist. The story is exactly the same, but she never shows up when Yuni is feeling emotionally vulnerable.

Yuni and Nanase plan a festival date, Nanase's club members show up and she holds hands/shares food and drink/clings to her bestfriend Yuki and leaves Yuni alone.

Their aniversary arrives and Nanase completely forgets despite having the option to leave her club early since she wasn't required to stay and only remembers the next day and promises to do better.

Flash foward to her club game. Nanase wants Yuni to be there, but doesn't bother doing anything to help make that happen and expects her to go to a different city, alone, and with no plans to spend time with her.

Follow this with a trip to the pool. It's Nanase, Yuni, and Nanase's club members where Nanase ditches Yuni, again, to hold hands/share food and drink/cling to her bestfriend.

Now we get a big fight at the internet cafe. Same arguments just without Fuuko. Nanase leaves for a week and ends up going on a date with Yuki, the kind of one on one date Yuni has been desperate for this entire time.

Nanase sounds like a piece of shit, right? The only thing that changed is Yuni cheating with Fuuko. If everything else was exactly the same, I guarantee people would have no issue tearing Nanase a new one.

Its not about "supporting" Yuni. Its about seeing her point of view and understanding Nanase isn't blameless in this.
You just wrote a scenario on your own and judged the character based on that. What is the point of this exactly? Fuuko does exist and Yuni did cock Nanase right infront of her eyes. That's the actual reality. There is no point of "what ifs"
Nanase was pretty neglectful and? Just break the fuck up and move on.

Dex-chan lover
You just wrote a scenario on your own and judged the character based on that. What is the point of this exactly? Fuuko does exist and Yuni did cock Nanase right infront of her eyes. That's the actual reality. There is no point of "what ifs"
Nanase was pretty neglectful and? Just break the fuck up and move on.
Its not exactly a scenario when everything I wrote is what happened in the story minus Fuuko. I just hoped you'd see it without the cheating lens so you'd understand why people defend Yuni. Almost everyone says she's trash for cheating, myself included. But when it comes to Nanase, it feels like people jump through hoops to downplay her involvement in how things turned out

Dex-chan lover
Its not exactly a scenario when everything I wrote is what happened in the story minus Fuuko. I just hoped you'd see it without the cheating lens so you'd understand why people defend Yuni. Almost everyone says she's trash for cheating, myself included. But when it comes to Nanase, it feels like people jump through hoops to downplay her involvement in how things turned out
if Fuuko did not exist, Yuni's tendency for public attention would still make her a POS, considering Nanase feared if their relationship went public it would cause Yuni problems, to which Yuni created a burner account and constantly posted every detail about their relationship...even if the plot went exactly the same without Fuuko, it'd be a yandere/ phycological tag considering Yuni's actions at the confession just spread across the other events

Dex-chan lover
if Fuuko did not exist, Yuni's tendency for public attention would still make her a POS, considering Nanase feared if their relationship went public it would cause Yuni problems, to which Yuni created a burner account and constantly posted every detail about their relationship...even if the plot went exactly the same without Fuuko, it'd be a yandere/ phycological tag considering Yuni's actions at the confession just spread across the other events
Every detail except who she is, who her girlfriend is, what she looks like, what her girlfriend looks like, and where they go to school. Her burner account is basically just a glorified diary she uses to complain about her life, with no actual substance. The only person to disclose their relationship to someone else was Nanase, the person who was afraid to in the first place and she did it without even consulting Yuni. Fuuko only found out Nanase was her girlfriend after stalking (let me repeat, stalking) Yuni during the festival date.

This wasn't even my point to begin with though. I just want to firmly plant my flag between the two extremes in the comments: Yuni is the devil incarnate -> me <- Nanase is an angel who did no wrong

Group Leader
the fact that you think getting cheated on is a way to LEARN ANYTHING is disgusting, yuni the bitch could had broke up with her and be done with it, but nop, the solution for yuni was to put more effort in her afair that to break up so spare the the stupid idea that Nannase is at fault
Some lessons are harder and more "expensive" to learn. Their relationship was doomed to fail to begin with. The problem started with Nanase digging a hole for their relationship, and Asahina only plunged it deeper down the abyss, with Fuuko being the last person to bury everything. Let's say Yuni didn't "cheat", and broke up with her, and started going out with Fuuko. OK? What changed? Nothing. Their relationship got toasted, and they go separate ways, looking at each other like garbage. And well, they truly are garbage in their own way. If anything, if it's not obvious enough, young readers can take a lesson out of this: if you neglect your lover, don't be surprised when they disappear from your life.

@GuiltyNubbins Exactly so! I don't feel anything for Fuuko as a character, because she seems more like a convenient plot device that the author puts in as a catalyst to accelerate the dooming of their relationship. Even if she wasn't in the picture, nothing good would have come out of this so-called love, anyway. Yuki is just a minor supporting character until this point, so I don't care much for her, either.

There's no rule that says you can't have a love interest. Furthermore, they both are girls. Girls can always get away with being close to each other, unlike guys who would instantly be looked at as odd if they are too close. Nanase can do that with Yuki, but can't do that with Yuni? As horrible as a horny bitch that Yuni is, she is right about one thing: Nanase cares much more about her club and her own appearance than Yuni or their relationship. This is a fact that can't be denied. What was Nanase doing on the day of their anniversary? To Nanase, Yuni is just a convenient "lover", a thrill. She doesn't truly love Yuni.

"But but but lesbians are discriminated in the hell-hole of Japan..." Shove it. That excuse goes out the window when you have a character like Fuuko who is so unhinged at everything she does. And unlike certain countries, lesbians are less likely to deal with physical violence there. If Nanase is that popular, she could have used her status and influence to come clean with their relationship. If they discriminate against her, they lose a good player. Aren't young people supposed to be the one to change the world? Nanase is also a coward in this aspect, too. It also goes back to what I said: which one is more important to her? Her club and social standing? Or her own happiness and her love interest? It's clear what she chose.

Nanase = selfish bitch, negligent partner, also a coward
Yuni = horny selfish bitch who can't communicate, also a coward
Fuuko = merely plot device, convenient catalyst, also an entitled bitch in-universe
Yuki = supporting role, her existence made things worse and progress faster, but she's not a bad person

Realistically, they are in high school. And high school love relationships don't last for long. A relationship like Nanase and Yuni will crash and burn even before the school year ends. What's more important is the signs that they have showed: Nanase is like a corporate workaholic who neglects his wife. But it's worse because at least the guy has to follow his boss's orders, while Nanase simply cares for herself. Yuni is that wife who will cheat on her husband if he goes on a long business trip. Both of these girls should never get into another relationship ever again, because they definitely will hurt someone else mentally.

Sheesh, such a long paragraph for some trash characters... And this is still ongoing since 2021. Hope the author won't drag things out to 100 chapters or so. Story can just end with them all going separate ways and never acknowledge each other's existence again. I think most readers are rooting for that, anyway.

tl;dr: all of them a awful love partners, had everything that happened coming and deserved it, should never get into a relationship again.

Users who are viewing this thread