My Girlfriend's Not Here Today - Vol. 5 Ch. 23 - A Wish For Love

Dex-chan lover
I feel like we're moving towards Yuni and Fuuko ending up back together but we'll see. Unless things change, Yuni continues to notice that as she and Nanase get closer, they seem less and less compatible. That could change but so far it's been a consistent trend. Add on the mother's quote, Yuni's comparing Fuuko to her dead cat whom she misses and wondering about her crying, etc. It seems like a picture is being painted but I'm not sure yet how it plans to follow through. I think we won't get a good hint as to where it's going until Yuni and Fuuko meet again. I want to see how they interact now.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
This chapter definitely reaffirms the notion that Yuni and Nanase are just too incompatible as individuals to be able to have a good romantic relationship with each other. Yuni's mother's comment basically aligns with what I said back when chapter 21 came out:
Also how very emotionally needy and easily lonely Yuni can get. I imagine part of why Yuni fell so hard for Fuuko is because Fuuko turned Yuni into Fuuko’s whole world. That obsessive attention basically filled the emotional hole Yuni needs to be filled. Even with Nanase forgiving Yuni and being more attentive to Yuni now, that’s still not enough for Yuni because Nanase still has her own passions separate from Yuni (which is reasonable and justified) but for Yuni that appears to be just not enough for her.

It's interesting to get more insight to Yuko's background, growing up with that severe of a sexist environment/parenting wouldn't be good for anyone. I am curious to see where this plot-line of her former-crush becoming a mother will go?

Dex-chan lover
This chapter definitely reaffirms the notion that Yuni and Nanase are just too incompatible as individuals to be able to have a good romantic relationship with each other. Yuni's mother's comment basically aligns with what I said back when chapter 21 came out:
Theozilla said:
Also how very emotionally needy and easily lonely Yuni can get. I imagine part of why Yuni fell so hard for Fuuko is because Fuuko turned Yuni into Fuuko’s whole world. That obsessive attention basically filled the emotional hole Yuni needs to be filled. Even with Nanase forgiving Yuni and being more attentive to Yuni now, that’s still not enough for Yuni because Nanase still has her own passions separate from Yuni (which is reasonable and justified) but for Yuni that appears to be just not enough for her.

It's interesting to get more insight to Yuko's background, growing up with that severe of a sexist environment/parenting wouldn't be good for anyone. I am curious to see where this plot-line of her former-crush becoming a mother will go?
I agree with this except I don't think it's just an issue of being needy. It's the transition from a crush to now actually getting to know someone. As she says in this chapter, Yuni seems to have different interests and outlooks on life compared to Nanase. As they discuss real-life decisions, likes, and dislikes, Yuni finds that they don't have as much common ground as she would have thought.

With Fuuko, she had someone who would be with her but they also seemed to share interests and got along naturally well despite the nature of their relationship. The only major issue she had with Fuuko was the setup of their relationship, which might be solved by finally ending things with Nanase. But we'll see. I agree about the former crush stuff. That seems interesting.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
You know, this is some really compelling character building, and would have been super helpful during all the parts where the author was making us despise the main characters. The author is genuinely talented, but doesn't seem to know when to utilize certain tools. I've felt like the main characters were husks this whole time. They didn't have really anything likable about them, and only made poor decisions. Like, I'm actually starting to empathize with them for the first time in the entire story, which is going to make whatever happens next a lot more interesting. Let's just hope this information plays into the story moving forward, or it will feel a bit cheap.

Also this explains a lot of Fuuko's awful behavior. Being raised in such a superficial environment is bound to fuck with a child's world view.

Users who are viewing this thread