My Girlfriend's Not Here Today - Vol. 5 Ch. 21 - Eye of the Storm

Dex-chan lover
Oh god this is fucking hard to read, this author is really good with expressing characters through drawings and little changes in facial expression which is maybe why I feel Nanase is just playing with Yuni to get back at her. Yuni is sure hard to handle as a person let alone as a girlfriend, yeah they're still teenagers but that doesn't make it easy.

Dex-chan lover
Oh god this is fucking hard to read, this author is really good with expressing characters through drawings and little changes in facial expression which is maybe why I feel Nanase is just playing with Yuni to get back at her. Yuni is sure hard to handle as a person let alone as a girlfriend, yeah they're still teenagers but that doesn't make it easy.
How to handle Yuni:
female-stuck-garbage-bin-upside-down-female-office-worker-formaly-dressed-standing-upside-down-trash-bucket-paper-121572505.jpg

Dex-chan lover
i genuinely hope that nanase is cooking up some nuclear revenge plan

Dex-chan lover
Nanase giving the little attention Yuni would have made do with had she not tasted what it's like to be treated like a priority.

Yuni missing Fuuko after making her bed and lying in it. Actually, I'm kinda surprised she's still sticking to her decision. I really thought she would have caved immediately. Due to that, appreciation of her went from -100 to -99. But I would be flabbergasted if she doesn't end up breaking things with Nanase next chapter.

And author giving me a chapter without Fuuko was downright criminal. But I'll pass judgement when the manga is completed. Nobody's like a story put on infinite hiatus.

Anyways, this chapter theme is clearly "too little too late". And that tasted sadder than vegetables with no dressing 😭

Dex-chan lover
Gheh heh. It's like watching a disaster movie or serie. You either love it or you don't.

I also find it hilarious that people say the same thing after every chapter. I really think this manga is for pissing off readers. That and the author probably gets off on it. 😁

Dex-chan lover
Yeah , I read it as restating just how easy she is to lead around, literally so in this chapter.
Also how very emotionally needy and easily lonely Yuni can get. I imagine part of why Yuni fell so hard for Fuuko is because Fuuko turned Yuni into Fuuko’s whole world. That obsessive attention basically filled the emotional hole Yuni needs to be filled. Even with Nanase forgiving Yuni and being more attentive to Yuni now, that’s still not enough for Yuni because Nanase still has her own passions separate from Yuni (which is reasonable and justified) but for Yuni that appears to be just not enough for her.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Man was this worth the wait. The consequences of self destructive behavior can be excruciating, and you don't even feel like you have the right to be suffering because it's a storm of your own creation.

The imagery of Yuni tangled in thorns from a few chapters ago is still very much relevant, she's in pain trying to push through the remnants of unhealthy dependency that led her to be unfaithful in the first place, and not always succeeding (like keeping the earring.) And it shows quite clearly that she's disgusted with herself for being unable to just enjoy what she wanted from day one, because it's tainted by every step that led to it.

This is a good ass series and a very grounded, realistic depiction of how ugly love can be, especially for younger lesbians. Struggling on staying closeted, having a moment of weakness for someone who isn't afraid to love you openly... This shit happens in real life, like, a lot lol. Been there myself.

Also this is closer to a dramatic character study than a romance story so idk where all the ignorance and vitriol is coming from lol. You aren't supposed to root for these people, and the nastiness in some of these comments is so weird.

Dex-chan lover
You would think that is the case but the author loves Fuuko even more than Yuni does, lmao. This is probably the author going for a "love is weird and the heart wants what it wants" kind of shitty development but it just, together in tandem with Yuni being mindbroken hentai-style, feels like another vain attempt to make the villains relateable and this whole thing seem deeper than it is, smh

Fuuko is so hot. I can totally understand why the author likes her.

Don't know if Yuni has fallen in love with Fuuko (with Yuni you never know) but if she did, I'm all for it. Fuuko's just too hot to hate. lol

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
the nastiness in some of these comments is so weird.
Why? Just because we understand why she is the way she is, it doesn't mean Yuni doesn't deserve all the shit she is actively getting. She is a dishonest vile cheater. No matter what is your background or character traits, there is no excuse to be this levels of a degenerate. Fictional or not, characters like her just disturbs the most basic human decency in people and cause them to lash out. It shouldn't be too hard to understand why.

Dex-chan lover
Man was this worth the wait. The consequences of self destructive behavior can be excruciating, and you don't even feel like you have the right to be suffering because it's a storm of your own creation.

The imagery of Yuni tangled in thorns from a few chapters ago is still very much relevant, she's in pain trying to push through the remnants of unhealthy dependency that led her to be unfaithful in the first place, and not always succeeding (like keeping the earring.) And it shows quite clearly that she's disgusted with herself for being unable to just enjoy what she wanted from day one, because it's tainted by every step that led to it.

This is a good ass series and a very grounded, realistic depiction of how ugly love can be, especially for younger lesbians. Struggling on staying closeted, having a moment of weakness for someone who isn't afraid to love you openly... This shit happens in real life, like, a lot lol. Been there myself.

Also this is closer to a dramatic character study than a romance story so idk where all the ignorance and vitriol is coming from lol. You aren't supposed to root for these people, and the nastiness in some of these comments is so weird.
Author did a good job in doing an unlikable character, which I am ok with.

That's the point of hate sink characters in stories, to be hated by the audience.

Nothing wrong with that as a narrative device.

Not sure why you think people feeling the intended emotions the authors wants from them is a bad thing.

Dex-chan lover
Dunno which comments you mean/are reading (honestly see nothing too bad here) when saying nasty but Yuni and Fuuko are written in a way to be frustrating/rage inducing/bring out (relatable and somewhat realistic-)negative feelings that many readers themselves feel. That was a deliberate choice and people will clearly bash them and rightfully so. Yuni is a cheater, selfserving and a fool most of the time which is more than okay if you think about it- a high schooler with unstable emotions growing up/experiencing things. Not everyone is a saint when young. But the author is choosing to make her look like the most insane petty criminal that is about to blow up a bank.

Now, everything else you commented on... is a bit of a reach. "It just ain't that deep, bruh" is probably most fitting here. The characters are all pretty shallow- they are 1-trait-ponies (Nanase loves volleyball while being a doormat, Fuuko makes Yuni her world and is obsessive, Yuni is seeking for infinite validation and attention) with minor problems. They are in high school. The whole way these minor problems are played out in such an exaggerated way is another choice made by the author and it is one of the few more interesting things this manga has to offer (e.g. Yuni's overly melancholic monologues, Yuni feeling threatened by Nanase being too invested and successful in volleyball, Yuni explaining Nanase to be this huge supervillain that doesn't love her while she was a reasonable high school gf etc.). All these things could've come up in a more chill and lowkey way since they just. are. not. that. deep/important. But the author made these not so deep things look so grand and spectacular and Shounen-battle-like at times which is pretty cool, tbh.

Dex-chan lover
I dunno, I see this as a "too late" type of situation.

Nanase is finally doing what she originally promised to do (twice). She's balancing her time better and not blowing Yuni off for extra club practice anymore, she isn't treating her like they barely know each other at school, and she's willing to act more like a couple in public and do the matching thing.

Unfortunately, Fuuko showed Yuni just how unhappy she actually was with Nanase

Users who are viewing this thread