My Girlfriend's Not Here Today - Vol. 5 Ch. 21 - Eye of the Storm

Dex-chan lover
There will be no winners here. Everyone will come out of this broken and unhappy, save perhaps those who enjoy watching others in pain that they imagine to be deserved.

I don't know. This chapter gives me the feeling that Yuni's gonna dump Nanase and try to go back with Fuuko. Whether Fuuko takes her back is up in the air, but if she does, I would call that a relatively happy ending.

Double-page supporter
Yes, yes, relationship drama go brrr, but Yuni honestly needs to get herself close platonic friends. Sitting outside the gym without anyone to hang out with is obviously miserable, and she doesn't want to go in and watch the team practice, so just find friends to pass the time with?? I get that she's supposed to be isolated to make her receptive to Fuuko's influence but goddamn does she need company that's not completely wrapped up in the drama. Either that or a hobby that's not cheating on her girlfriend.

I do like the idea that Nanase is toying with her though.

Dex-chan lover
Oh Yuni my dear, it's still not too late to fix a mistake. At least I hope it isn't. Yuni and Fuuko always seemed like a better match than Yuni and Nanase. But I can't seem to shake the feeling that this manga ends with Yuni being alone. Fuuko seems to have too much pride to take Yuni after already being rejected once, and if Yuni tries to go back to Fuuko, and Nanase finds out, it'll be over for them. With that being said, I obviously wish for Yuni and Fuuko to get together again. They're a good fit, and Yuni made a big mistake by foregoing the girl who gave her everything she wished she got from Nanase.

Dex-chan lover
Why? Just because we understand why she is the way she is, it doesn't mean Yuni doesn't deserve all the shit she is actively getting. She is a dishonest vile cheater. No matter what is your background or character traits, there is no excuse to be this levels of a degenerate. Fictional or not, characters like her just disturbs the most basic human decency in people and cause them to lash out. It shouldn't be too hard to understand why.
its not how humans work lol psychology is not on ur side

Dex-chan lover
Author did a good job in doing an unlikable character, which I am ok with.

That's the point of hate sink characters in stories, to be hated by the audience.

Nothing wrong with that as a narrative device.

Not sure why you think people feeling the intended emotions the authors wants from them is a bad thing.

Certainly these characters are supposed to get a strong reaction out of the reader, but I find the idea that any of them are "hate sinks", or that they're designed to be hated, to be a case of projection or wishful thinking. A hate-sink, i.e. a character designed to be despised, is basically never a main character, and they need to be depicted in a radically different way from the characters who are supposed to be sympathetic. (E.g. in The Boys, Homelander is an evil POS, but frequently funny, and his increasingly obvious insecurities make him vulnerable. Meanwhile Stormfront is written in a much less complex way - she's just a monster.)

Yuni is the main POV character, and as such, it would get exhausting for both creator and reader to make her intentionally and completely devoid of charm or humanity. She may not have charisma (that is Yuuko's department), but she is definitely humanized: she is not drawn as a caricature, and her emotions are treated as important, when she's down, melancholic, excited, or having fun. Accordingly, the opinion that she is merely pathetic and frustrating, is no less popular in reader reactions than that she's worthy of utter contempt.

Dex-chan lover
Oh god this is fucking hard to read, this author is really good with expressing characters through drawings and little changes in facial expression which is maybe why I feel Nanase is just playing with Yuni to get back at her.
The panel with club buddy looking back, grinning, while arm locked with Nanase certainly feels like foreshadowing, even if it's just in Yuni's head. The chapter title also implies that this is the brief moment of respite before things become tumultuous again.
Also how very emotionally needy and easily lonely Yuni can get. I imagine part of why Yuni fell so hard for Fuuko is because Fuuko turned Yuni into Fuuko’s whole world. That obsessive attention basically filled the emotional hole Yuni needs to be filled. Even with Nanase forgiving Yuni and being more attentive to Yuni now, that’s still not enough for Yuni because Nanase still has her own passions separate from Yuni (which is reasonable and justified) but for Yuni that appears to be just not enough for her.
Yeah, the social media focus both in this and prior chapters, shows that Yuni really wants the attention of being out and visible in addition to the attention of a partner. So the reiteration of not having a publicly proclaimed relationship in addition to noting Fuuko's number of followers who she was openly posting about Yuni to, strikes me as a pretty important tell.

To spin that point, while kind of touching on something someone else said; relationships between closeted and uncloseted (or at least wanting to be such) queer people do often run into similar issues. But other than like background motivation, I kind of doubt this series will get too deeply into that aspect. "Just Right There!" did a pretty good job of that as a series, but this one feels far more interested in amping the trashy soap opera vibe.

Dex-chan lover
The panel with club buddy looking back, grinning, while arm locked with Nanase certainly feels like foreshadowing, even if it's just in Yuni's head. The chapter title also implies that this is the brief moment of respite before things become tumultuous again.

Yeah, the social media focus both in this and prior chapters, shows that Yuni really wants the attention of being out and visible in addition to the attention of a partner. So the reiteration of not having a publicly proclaimed relationship in addition to noting Fuuko's number of followers who she was openly posting about Yuni to, strikes me as a pretty important tell.

To spin that point, while kind of touching on something someone else said; relationships between closeted and uncloseted (or at least wanting to be such) queer people do often run into similar issues. But other than like background motivation, I kind of doubt this series will get too deeply into that aspect. "Just Right There!" did a pretty good job of that as a series, but this one feels far more interested in amping the trashy soap opera vibe.
Darn you recommended "Just Right There", yet it is incomplete in english TL.

I'm lucky that the spanish TL are completed, and I speak spanish natively.

Gonna go check that out now. thanks.

Dex-chan lover
Darn you recommended "Just Right There", yet it is incomplete in english TL.

I'm lucky that the spanish TL are completed, and I speak spanish natively.

Gonna go check that out now. thanks.
Someone finished up the English translation on one of the aggregate sites but I initially finished reading the Spanish language translation even though my Spanish is really really rusty, lol.
Honestly really enjoyed it either way.

From this chapter it feels like the point of the story is starting to come across. Yuni being a teenager has a shallow perception on how love works, thinking that there can only be one person in her entire life that she can love, so instead of communicating or/and breaking up with her, she just follows her heart to the fuuko whom she loves more. But she doesn't want to admit that she isn't getting what she expected from her relationship with nanase because she still likes her as a person, but she's confusing romantic love with platonic love and this chapter shows it, not to mention feeling indebted for the pain she caused.

It's easy to have these conflicting emotions as a teenager who's still trying to discover their identity and understanding of everyone else. Especially if they're attracted to the same sex.

Obviously they're not supposed to be likeable, but I think this is a story worth telling, in my opinion, what the story is trying to tell is to communicate with your significant other instead of doing extremely painful things like cheating. If it doesn't work out, break up with them, and it'll hurt much less than cheating.

Dex-chan lover
Oh god this is fucking hard to read, this author is really good with expressing characters through drawings and little changes in facial expression which is maybe why I feel Nanase is just playing with Yuni to get back at her. Yuni is sure hard to handle as a person let alone as a girlfriend, yeah they're still teenagers but that doesn't make it easy.
do people really think being an teen is an any form an valid excuse? if my GF were to cheat on my at that age! I will became and god damn NUN! f*** any one making any excuses for cheating! INCLUDING AGE!

Dex-chan lover
The best and healthiest end would be for Yuni to end up with neither of them and have grown up a bit from this experience.

The best messy end would be getting back with Fuuko and they can enjoy their codependent relationship without troubling others ever again. (And Nanase getting together with her clubmate)

Dex-chan lover
Volleyball girl is such a moron.. I'll never stop saying it until this cheating pos breaks up with her

Dex-chan lover
The best and healthiest end would be for Yuni to end up with neither of them and have grown up a bit from this experience.

The best messy end would be getting back with Fuuko and they can enjoy their codependent relationship without troubling others ever again. (And Nanase getting together with her clubmate)
Volleyball girl will more than likely end up with her best friend which will be the only pair I'll be rooting for. Fuck the cheating hoe and the relationship breaker

Dex-chan lover
everyone hating on yuni like she isn't just a dumb impulsive highscooler 😭
Bro when I was in high school I knew what cheating was and what it could do to a person. It's not fucking rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread