My Girlfriend's Not Here Today - Vol. 5 Ch. 23 - A Wish For Love

Alright, maybe Yuni & Nanase aren't that compatible, I understand that. But nothing's changing my mind about Nanase being the best one out of the three. I've already explained how I think about the three in the previous chaps with a long ass paragraph. So this much is enough for today.

Also, I straight up hated Fuuko and maybe I still do. But this chap showed her life a bit...it isn't great. I've always said that I'm not completely close to the idea of Fuuko ending up with Yuni. It's just that I'm gonna need more from Fuuko

But, as the story progresses, we're seeing it lean more towards Yuni x Fuuko. I'm still with Yuni x Nanase. But this progression is making me change my mind bit by bit. If Yuni ends up with Fuuko, that wouldn't mean that Nanase was bad or anything. They just weren't compatible. Nanase is just better. And maybe it can be for the best, if three of them can find hapiness.

But if the story progresses leaning towards Nanase x Yuni, I'm all for it. Maybe there can still be hope and they both understand each other better in the future? Who knows... I'm just open for it.

Other than that, a good chap. It showed that there are humans in the series, lol. Yuni's mom is great. And the last scene with Fuuko was great too. This might be the first time I wasn't shitting on her and actually felt bad for her.

Dex-chan lover
Guessing Yuni's mom is a hostess, they usually get to drink on the job. Fuuko's parents seems like shitty people, no wonder her heart is full of spite.

Dex-chan lover
Damn, not to imply even a single character has been one dimensional, but this chapter added like a ridiculous amount of characterization and depth. Almost like they're entirely new people, and I mean that in a good way

how is Nanase gonna to another relationship gonna work? do you know cheaters get all the good stuff? how will she think of her friend if she pulls an Yuni with the love afair fondeling her brests and VITCIM BLAME THAT YOU DON’t love her will getting almust fucked in fron of ypu supposed LOVER wow people really did forgive garbage yuni doing that whole victim blaming cuz ofc is Nanase fault for Yuni getting her breat folded nicely!

is Japan this fkued up with Relationships? cuz i don’t get the author pity part of Yuni? she is garbage, get’s to blame Nanase while FUCKING some one else! cuz dear Nanase don’t you forget to stick your fingers into Yuni otherwise she can blame you for no loving her while she get’s fucked right in your face!

Do people forget how disgusting that whole chapter was????? how in hell do we got symphaty for Yuni the human garbage? OFC only in japan you get cheating to be brushed off like is NOTHING
Well, the author herself said that all her characters are trash, so I don't understand why they expect anything? Don't expect anything from the characters, when their own author is their number one hater hahaha, I love that author

Dex-chan lover
Guessing Yuni's mom is a hostess, they usually get to drink on the job. Fuuko's parents seems like shitty people, no wonder her heart is full of spite.

Didn't it come up at some point that Yuni's mom straight up owned the place?

Power Uploader
Didn't it come up at some point that Yuni's mom straight up owned the place?
She's the "mama" of a "Snack Bar". If you google it, you'll know what a "snack bar" is in Japan. Not sure she "owns" it, but she at least runs it.

She's not a hostess. She stays behind the counter and has no physical contact with the patrons, but drinks and banter with them so they feel at ease and spend more money.

The way it's worded in English, Yuni's mom's advice is poorly worded for a conflicted, teenaged girl. Very easy to take it to mean that anyone who's not obsessed with you doesn't love you. What I would hope it means is that Yuni comes to understand Fuuko doesn't love her. She just loves having a puppet to manipulate. They're both narcissistic. Yuni wants to be fawned over constantly. She wants a simp, not a partner. Fuuko wants someone she can control. Because that way she can always make them depend on her. They won't abandon her that way. Someone like Nanase is someone who genuinely wants a partner. To bring you into her life. Make you a part of it.
But, the author has already stated this a trashy soap opera, and what it's likely going to mean is someone like Nanase is a bad partner because they're not obsessive, and Fuuko is a good partner because she'll make you feel like the Sun as long as you play along with her manipulative nature.
Even if she is clumsy about it, Nanase continues to be blamed for trying to be a normal person that is capable of loving her friends, her family, her passions, and her partner equally. And yeah, Yuni and Nanase have little in common, but so do Yuni and Fuuko. Like Yuni has no passions. No actual friends. She only relates to Fuuko on horniness, loneliness, and narcissism.
Seems like Fuuko might have her own redemption though. I feel like it's going to end with Yuni ending up alone, getting dumped by both of them.

Dex-chan lover
Wow, this was a great chapter in this series I love. Great to see some background on these characters to help understand why they act the way they do, it’s great stuff. Thanks as always for the TL!

Dex-chan lover
Damn, not to imply even a single character has been one dimensional, but this chapter added like a ridiculous amount of characterization and depth. Almost like they're entirely new people, and I mean that in a good way
changing the topic, can you give me the sauce of your pfp?

It takes a great deal for parents to raise a child, even more for a single parent. It does make it clear why Yuni looks for a more intertwined relationship whereas Nanase seemed more laid-back about it (although she got more serious about it).
But also, i know it might sound old, since Yuni's mom seems to be working very hard and they don't seem to be ultra rich, so getting hefty amount of pocket money doesn't seem viable : it really makes Nanase as at best absent-minded, at worst, insensible of other's people situation (inviting almost forcefully Yuni to another city for a tournament without any financial help nor spending time together and announcing it on a very short notice, sorry but people just seem to...fly over that fact and says Yuni does 0 effort : let's see, if your partner wants you to join them in Dubaï or Singapour for a month or 2 -they're only there for an event- but....they'd give you no help whatsoever and your income is relatively low, you've got 3 weeks, no visa prepared too, let's see if you can complete that task without some heavy sacrifice.)
Unless Nanase knew/knows nothing or barely anything about Yuni's family situation....which would be weird, they never or barely talk tabout that before ? It might sound like a bit of a shallow relationship.
It's good that Yuni's reflecting on it, whether or not they can truly hit off (stark differences don't necessarily mean incompatibily), even without considering the cheating.
But yes, it does seem like Yuni and Fuuko would be better off together, same with Nanase and Yuki.
Also, reading some comments, you would wonder what fate they have in store if they were to be in power for drug users, alcoholics, people with PTSD, youth enrolled in gangs because of a lack of future perspective in their countries, etc, just death ?

But, the author has already stated this a trashy soap opera, and what it's likely going to mean is someone like Nanase is a bad partner because they're not obsessive, and Fuuko is a good partner because she'll make you feel like the Sun as long as you play along with her manipulative nature.
Nobody thinks Nanase is a bad partner because she is "not obsessive". A better way to describe is that she is not very attentive in her relationship with Yuni. Like you've said, Nanase is a "normal" person: she is not insecure, not obsessive, maintains a healthy relationship with her friends and has things that she's passionate about. This "norm" that she's used to makes her unable to sense all the red flags in their relationship, and unintentionally inflicts more pain on Yuni.
Yuni wants to be fawned over constantly. She wants a simp, not a partner. Fuuko wants someone she can control. Because that way she can always make them depend on her. They won't abandon her that way.
That's just a terrible way to describe Fukko and Yuni's insecurities. If paying attention to your gf's insecurities and showing understanding is considered simp behavior, yeah Yuni just wants a simp in her life. As for Fukko, she doesn't WANT someone that she can control, she wants someone that doesn't hurt her, and sadly using manipulative tactics is all that she knows of. Hopefully recent incidents and the baby can show her that there's another way around.

Last edited:
Up to this point she's basically wanted someone to love her who wouldn't leave. Babies, being inherently dependent, really can't leave... so either she decides to act for the newborn as the mom did for her growing up, or she possibly gets the idea to go about having her own.
The latter seems a bit of a stretch, but with the line about men getting repeated here, there's a chance of that being some sort of foreshadowing there.
I think you're thinking in the wrong direction here, because we all know that babies are the most emotionally unstable ones. Sure they wouldn't leave you because they can't, but there's no guarantee that they will love you in return.

To me the baby is more like a symbol of Fukko's view of love. She used to solely think of it as a reminder of her own rejection and heartbreaks, and think of it as something ugly and unpleasant. She used manipulative tactics to force Yuni into a relationship because of the fear of such things ever happening again (and yet she still ended up hurting herself)
At the same time, the baby is the result of a loving relationship. In all her appearances Fukko's former crush is clearly a loving person, and showcased her love very openly. If something beautiful can come out of such relationship, It could make her reflect on her relationship with Yuni

Dex-chan lover
I think you're thinking in the wrong direction here, because we all know that babies are the most emotionally unstable ones. Sure they wouldn't leave you because they can't, but there's no guarantee that they will love you in return.

To me the baby is more like a symbol of Fukko's view of love. She used to solely think of it as a reminder of her own rejection and heartbreaks, and think of it as something ugly and unpleasant. She used manipulative tactics to force Yuni into a relationship because of the fear of such things ever happening again (and yet she still ended up hurting herself)
At the same time, the baby is the result of a loving relationship. In all her appearances Fukko's former crush is clearly a loving person, and showcased her love very openly. If something beautiful can come out of such relationship, It could make her reflect on her relationship with Yuni
After reading the most recent chapter I just want to acknowledge that you're right. My initial pessimistic read waiting for the other shoe to drop did obscure that there's been a slow tonal shift taking place that reads a little clearer now. Nice analysis!

Users who are viewing this thread