My Girlfriend's Not Here Today

Gosh this was intense & messy! I actually felt something sliced thru my heart on certain parts cuz it's that good! I'll take more angst but here's hoping they all get happy endings... YunixFuuko/YunixNanase, either way's gonna hurt like a bitch for the one left out. Also I felt sorry for Nanase's friend when Yuni physically assaulted her, poor babygirl, bad Yuni!

Last edited:
What beautifully drawn art for such a hopelessly bonkers story, LOVE IT. Chapter 16 was aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAA 9/10 gg want more. And y’all who say Nanase’s at fault are insane broooo cope more

Dex-chan lover
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet but this manga is Yuri Netorare.

The contrast of lusciously beautiful artwork depicting emotionally degenerate acts is colliding with fireworks in my brain. More please! And who is the Gyaru in this manga? Why does that tag exist?

Dex-chan lover
The contrast of lusciously beautiful artwork depicting emotionally degenerate acts is colliding with fireworks in my brain. More please! And who is the Gyaru in this manga? Why does that tag exist?

Gyaru is just the Japanese version of Gal, it that five letter monstrosity because they don’t have L sound in Japanese (they don’t have a hard R sound either but that’s less noticeable).

As for where the gals are, the answer is that they are all gals. It’s all very mundane but Japanese schools have strict dress codes. Not just your uniform and how you wear it but also including your hair colour and hair style. Thus by not conforming to ridge inflexible standard they are branded gal e.g. Troublemakers.

Gyaru is just the Japanese version of Gal, it that five letter monstrosity because they don’t have L sound in Japanese (they don’t have a hard R sound either but that’s less noticeable).

As for where the gals are, the answer is that they are all gals. It’s all very mundane but Japanese schools have strict dress codes. Not just your uniform and how you wear it but also including your hair colour and hair style. Thus by not conforming to ridge inflexible standard they are branded gal e.g. Troublemakers.
That's a broader concept of gyaru than I'm used to seeing. Typically, I see the word gyaru used within a manga or anime work where characters use it to refer to other characters that fit a specific fashion subculture. The style is big makeup, big, dyed hair, often tan skin, skirts, and big accessories. It's a very bold and garish visual style, basically what you see when googling the term. That definitely conflicts with school dress codes and is extremely non-conformist. However, the dress code violations and fashions of the main characters are far tamer than what I have seen in other works or real life examples of gyaru. Is Yuni gyaru for not having her shirt buttoned? Is Fuko gyaro for having a long skirt? Nanase for having short, edgy hair? Can one really be gyaro without the makeup, big, dyed hair, clothes, and accessories? I feel like we are doing a disservice to the hardworking gyaros of Tokyo who put a ton of time and effort into perfecting their gyarism by awarding these slight fashion faux pas with the title of gyaru. I think Yuzu or Galko would laugh these girls out of McDonald's.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
That's a broader concept of gyaru than I'm used to seeing. Typically, I see the word gyaru used within a manga or anime work where characters use it to refer to other characters that fit a specific fashion subculture. The style is big makeup, big, dyed hair, often tan skin, skirts, and big accessories. It's a very bold and garish visual style, basically what you see when googling the term. That definitely conflicts with school dress codes and is extremely non-conformist. However, the dress code violations and fashions of the main characters are far tamer than what I have seen in other works or real life examples of gyaru. Is Yuni gyaru for not having her shirt buttoned? Is Fuko gyaro for having a long skirt? Nanase for having short, edgy hair? Can one really be gyaro without the makeup, big, dyed hair, clothes, and accessories? I feel like we are doing a disservice to the hardworking gyaros of Tokyo who put a ton of time and effort into perfecting their gyarism by awarding these slight fashion faux pas with the title of gyaru. I think Yuzu or Galko would laugh these girls out of McDonald's.

I totally understand where you are coming from. The only time they really adopt gal iconography is when they travel to Osaka and wear the twin code. In truth they aren’t really proper gals, in fact most gals in anime and manga aren’t proper gals. But Japan has extremely (almost racist) knee jerk reaction to anything where isn’t proper. Did you know many schools ban sunscreen probably because tans are the mark of a gal and while they can’t outright ban skin colour they can try to prevent people from getting a tan.

Also these school also tend mandate that hair colour has to be black or a deep shade of brown!

I totally understand where you are coming from. The only time they really adopt gal iconography is when they travel to Osaka and wear the twin code. In truth they aren’t really proper gals, in fact most gals in anime and manga aren’t proper gals. But Japan has extremely (almost racist) knee jerk reaction to anything where isn’t proper. Did you know many schools ban sunscreen probably because tans are the mark of a gal and while they can’t outright ban skin colour they can try to prevent people from getting a tan.

Also these school also tend mandate that hair colour has to be black or a deep shade of brown!
Banning hair color is wild! Though, wouldn't they want to mandate sunscreen instead of banning it if that wanted to prevent tan skin?

I can see the twin outfits being Gyaru, good observation.

I just realized the concept of tan gyarus is essentially anachronistic at this point and Tokyo fashion in 2023 has moved on.
https://www.tg3ds.com/blog/japanese-fashion
We are going to need need some new tags for cutting edge fashionistas in Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread