New feature: Reading progress tracker! Thanks for all the support over the past 2 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aggregator gang
Good feature and one I've been thinking would be a good idea with all the various delays. Thanks.

Imma still waiting for this suggestion https://mangadex.org/thread/44472 to be implemented.

Anyway, thanks for the new features!

Group Leader
@Holo Although I do have other objections, at least for now it seems to be very wacky. For example, on:

https://mangadex.org/title/12988/hakuba-no-oujisama

it shows:

> Reading progress: Volume 0/10 Chapter 17/112

These numbers, which I had no hand in choosing, are not an accurate representation of the volumes or chapters of this series that I have read. This is just one example, and there many others.

I realize that "vol" auto-update isn't properly functioning (or not at all), as all the series I've checked still have "0" for a volume. But the chapter auto-update is either very accurate with some series or wildly inaccurate with others. For one series, it claims I've read all 176 chapters whereas, in reality, I've only read 7, chapters 0, 0.5 - 4 and chapter 69. On the other hand, for another series, the tracker shows that I have read "0" chapters, whereas I've actually read all 157 chapters.

I also realize that this might just be kinks in the system that would be ironed out over time, but, to honest, I would prefer that "option to turn off the progress tracker entirely," including its display.

Miku best girl
Admin
I am currently running a sync script that attempts to identify the highest chapter in every title that the user has read (recorded with the eye icon) and reflecting that in the progress tracker. I guess it doesn't work for the completed titles.

eli

Group Leader
Interesting feature, but I don't think I'd ever choose or even want to record that information on this site – either manually or automatically, to be honest – when MangaUpdates has (and always will have) a more comprehensive list of essentially every manga in existence, whether it's been scanlated and/or made available online or not. I'm curious, what's the use case or mindset for wanting to (personally) track your stuff on multiple sites?

When you update this new progress trackecr is it gonna affect the marks on the chapters too in the future?

I never quite understood how that Eye-Tracker thing worked to begin with;
Like is it showing me that I have read this? Or that I have yet to read it?

Nevertheless I welcome that explicit counter thing for now.

Maybe also something like a list of manga for "catching up" (none of the other lists fit that name quite well), so that new chapters of a series you are far behind with are not polluting your up-to-date tracker?

@eli it seems useful to me if a group has a MD release delay but makes the chapter available to read early on their website. if you want to read it early but dont want to have mark it as read in your follows tab like a week later when it "officially" releases on here.

Miku best girl
Admin
This feature isn't really targeted at mangaupdates, it's more targeted at MAL.

I know that some people read stuff on multiple sites (MD and official scans and groups, for example) and would record this on MAL. Given MAL has gone downhill in recent times, if we can provide the same functionality, we can persuade more people to use us.

eli

Group Leader
@dankdevice @Holo I guess that makes sense on both accounts, thanks.

Still, I think MAL's (and MU's) list presentation feature is a lot better – just a simple list of what you've read and up to what point, in a dense plain HTML format/table without cover images or hover animations or anything. But I agree, MAL has dropped the ball when it comes to manga; their DB hasn't been updated in over a year with new titles.

Miku best girl
Admin
The plan would be to integrate this data into the MDList as well, and the simple list view mode would function in exactly the same way as MAL's basic table.

Group Leader
The only function I really miss is being able to sort my MDList by updates on new uploads. If you have a really long list and miss manga that got updated its really annoying to sort by that would really help being updated.

@TetsuyaLP Unless I am misunderstanding you, the feature is still there. Try this link (which will only work for your since you mdlist is private)
https://mangadex.org/list/122078?s=0#listing

And, while I am at it, here are two other pages which give pretty much the same info (and will work for others since it refers to the logged in user rather than a specific user)
https://mangadex.org/follows/manga/0
https://mangadex.org/follows

Ada

Thank you for everything, I am glad people are willing to help out.

I donated and will hopefully be able to become a subscriber soon, I have sent in quote a few job applications in Desember, hopefully one of them will give me a job.

Also Happy New Year!
Can't belive I found this site almost a year ago, times flies by when having fun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread