New feature: Reading progress tracker! Thanks for all the support over the past 2 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neat!

Does this mean the read marker will just assume you've read everything up to whatever the progress tracker is at? EG, if you read chapter 50 without reading 1-49, chapters 1-49 will end up with the read chapter marker anyway?

is a Reindeer
VIP
@9732 Doesn't solve it, you can manually enter what chapter you've read up to in the text field but it doesn't necessarily mark the actual read markers for the previous chapters. Assuming that the concern is still about having the read markers checked off.

@Plykiya

Even after "The read chapter marker (the eye icon) information will be synced with this progress tracker over the coming days."?

Will the eye tracker thing be just for any chapter you've loaded or will it be able to bring you back to whatever page you were last on for any specific chapter?

Like for instance, if I were to say read 2 chapters of a manga, then load up chapter 3 and read maybe 2 or 3 pages, would it go straight to that 2nd/3rd page or just go to the first page of the chapter when I click on it again?

is a Reindeer
VIP
@9732 What this means is that currently, all your reading progress trackers are set to 0 volumes read, 0 chapters read. When it syncs (one-time event), it'll update all the text fields based on your farthest read marker on the manga so that you don't have to do it manually to start off.

@MACZ2021 Behavior didn't change there, it would still take you to the first page. We don't store what page you last left off on

@holo
Given that the marker system will be reworked, don't worry about it for now.

The current marker system is becoming unsustainable - there are over 70 million rows in the database lol.

Hey, you should try to put the "read" status in a JSON field in your user DB, that would avoid getting a table requested every now & then for every user, once your user is "loaded" you have all information you need.

Group Leader
@holo For those who might find this function completely unnecessary and don't need teacher standing over us telling us which chapter to start reading from, will there be a way to turn off the function, or at least hide it's display? I personally find it irritating and useless.

Group Leader
This is a great feature. Is it possible to hide entries from the MDList? Asking for a friend.

Group Leader
It would be a nice feature to add the ability to mark how many volumes/chapters CURRENTLY exist.
I would assume this would happen similar to the existing "mark the final volume/chapter" in the series description. It would be edited there, and such. Or something. I dunno.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@teriguu Only thing you can do is choose your friends at the moment, do agree it'd be a useful feature to not show certain series if you don't want to.

Miku best girl
Admin
I assume you would want to hide H titles from your list. That option will be added fair soon.

Also, the site is under heavy load right now, so excuse the occassional 502 Cloudflare errors. (We're due for a webserver upgrade)

@Holo I feel like this should be fixed "if you read a chapter which is 1 ahead of the recorded chapter. If you read an older chapter or accidentally click 50 chapters ahead, the tracker won't update."

I usually read my series on the scanlators' website if I can or I download it. I was ecstatic to read the announcement and hear that it tracks your reads. I could finally leave MAL. But it not automatically recording the latest chapter you read is a flaw imho.

I can't be bothered to go scrolling through all the previous chapters of all the series I read just to have the auto update work, and if I wanted to add the chapter manually then I'd just stay on MAL. Changing it so it stores the most current translated chapter as read when you click on it should be considered as a needed change.

is a Reindeer
VIP
@appledog That's why you can manually set up the number that you're at when you read from other sites.

Dex-chan lover
This is pretty rad, thanks.

With the offsite manga reading markers feature, are there any plans to add functionality similar to mangaupdates for manga marked as do-not-upload here? Something like the ability to input a blank chapter entry that would just say "Manga Name - Chapter 11 - Blah Scans - 6 Hours ago" or something similar to real uploaded manga, that would let a new chap notification pop up in my follows so I'd know to check the scanlator site. Or is that too close to overstepping the "do not upload" boundary?

@Plykiya I get that, and fair enough, but as I stated before I'd just stay on anilist or MAL, mangaupdat, etc... if I wanted to manually add. It just isn't optimal. Now making it so the latest chapter is recorded when you read it regardless of previously read chapters is an optimal solution that doesn't take away from the feature and only enhances it.

Group Leader
@Holo @Plykiya regarding the MDList, god know what i’ve clicked “follow” on lol, and with the chance of doxxing and stuff that’s an actual threat (I’m also worried what if hackers get access to people’s reading lists and starts to threat people)...

Miku best girl
Admin
@appledog So perhaps a user setting where any chapter will get registered, as long as it is higher than the currently recorded chapter?

A side effect of this is that if you accidentally click 50 chapters ahead, the tracker will register it. This is why I had coded the tracker to only record if you click on 1 chapter ahead.

And on that note, even if I don't quite understand your objection, @FredFriendly, I could also add an option to turn off the progress tracker entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread