New feature: Reading progress tracker! Thanks for all the support over the past 2 days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miku best girl
Admin
Today's new feature is a reading progress tracker. You can now keep track of everything you read, regardless of where you read it. So this means even if you read chapters from other places (like official sites), you can keep track of them here!

If you read chapters on MD, the tracker will automatically register your reading progress. If you read elsewhere, you'll have to manually update (like you would on MAL, for instance).
The tracker will only update if you read a chapter which is 1 ahead of the recorded chapter. If you read an older chapter or accidentally click 50 chapters ahead, the tracker won't update. The volume number works in the same way.

The read chapter marker (the eye icon) information will be synced with this progress tracker over the coming days.

This is part 1 of implementation - the progress tracker information is only displayed on title pages so far. It will also be displayed on other relevant places in the coming days, such as all the title listings.

Thanks to everyone who has subscribed over the past 2 days, the response has been excellent. Please keep it up!

Syncing the read markers with the progress tracker is complete for the user_ids up to 9000 right now, continuing at a rate of 5000 user_ids a day.

Holo

I don't know if it will be implemented with the sync but if you uncheck a chapter marker (the above one of course) it do not decrement the tracker

Miku best girl
Admin
Given that the marker system will be reworked, don't worry about it for now.

The current marker system is becoming unsustainable - there are over 70 million rows in the database lol.

Is there a way to hide the Follow Mangadex sidebar? That is also new I think and dunno why it's permanently above-the-fold instead of something like news or reading history.

Miku best girl
Admin
It's there because social media is important for our growth. Our links have been mostly DMCA'ed off google, so we rely a lot on social media traffic.

Contributor
Oooh interesting! I already pretty much migrated to Mangadex exclusively now, but automatic tracking is nice! Wouldn't want to have to update both that and my MU...
Will there be subchapter tracking? Like, you know how I'm a Spider, So What does chapters by decimals (1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, etc)? I don't really mind rereading 2 half length chapters to get to where I left off for real, and an approximation is good enough a lot of the time, but idk maybe there are some really weirdly numbered chapters out there

Miku best girl
Admin
Currently decimal chapters will need to be manually entered. Perhaps that can also be automated in future.

You know what might be a interesting if not minor feature to have? A way to mark favorite chapters. I dunno about others but various chapters I like to reread in different manga for one reason or another but can't remember the number. Putting them in favorites on browser just gets them mixed in with everything else there. Dunno if it would get enough use to make it worth actually making though.

Nice! I'm really glad this feature was added. I often start reading a series but then forget to hit the follow button beforehand so it doesn't keep track of the chapters I read, so hopefully when this feature is synced with the read chapter marker it won't be a problem anymore because I can just use the progress tracker to quickly enter it in.

Great work MangaDex Team, Thank you so much.

P.S.

Another feature I would like to see is: under the latest updates section in "Follows", have a toggle button for hiding chapters that have already been read. I think this would be useful because for me at least I don't always read chapters in the order of when they came out, so sometimes when I have a lot of new updates I wish I could just see the list of the chapters I haven't read yet to make it easier to sift through.

Group Leader
I've been using the follow and eye function so far, so I guess I'll have to wait and see how it translates to the new reading progress function.
Although, since it only updates every 1 chapter/volume increment, do I eventually have to update the reading progress for every manga I read at least once?

What's the stack of the website and how can I contribute to the development ? (can I send my github or something like this ?)

Fed-Kun's army
Love the new reading progress tracker! I can finally track down all the manga I read now and go back to them whenever now?

Thank you very much for this new update, It is easier now for me to keep up with the mangas i’m reading . Keep up the great work ?

I wonder if a Raw tracker (Current amount of released raws, raw release rate/day and other nifty stuff) can be implemented, considering its something only one person will change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread