New Mod Tools, Brief Cloudflare Status Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
@Zephyrus You're thinking of 5.3.1. 5.2.1 is about staying on topic. As for what you mentioned to Hounder, you said you've got the ability to check the history and context of a user's comments. Shouldn't that be enough to determine whether comments are disingenuous?

Instrumentality Instigator
Staff
Super Moderator
@BestBoy
Whoops, you're right. My eyes played tricks on me this morning. I wouldn't say that 5.2.1 applies in this situation.

I can see user comment history, yes. The problem is that in some cases it's not easy to just spot a troll and ban them. In order to not be accused of abusing power, I have to have a very good reason to permanently or even temporarily comment ban a user; did they break a rule or not? The block function removes a lot of the reasons to mute a troll unless they are out of control because a user can simply block them and never see their comments again. It's a sort of shadowban.

Ideally, I'd be able to punish people for breaking the spirit of a rule, not just the letter of it. Alas, several prolific posters would scream to high heaven about moderator abuse if someone is punished for having a bad attitude or being a troll instead of breaking a rule.

Dex-chan lover
@Zephyrus I think an important discussion is whether y'all want to be subject to the whims of the vocal minority.

Dex-chan lover
@cryum
Moderated posts are essentially for minor infractions of 5.1 and its related rules or spoilers

My immediate response is to have a label that says whether the infraction is 5.1 or spoiler without having to view the moderated comment, but I'm not sure if that's deliberately unstated.

This is a good question, but I'm guessing that the reason it hasn't been answered is that it's been a moot point (i.e. any posts moderated are extremely likely to be 5.1).

Custom title
Staff
Developer
As an update to this, we implemented a convenience method for moderators to instantly wrap a post in spoiler tags. It also sends an automated warning PM, similar to the one found in the OP of this thread, but warning about the user's post being marked as a spoiler.

Related to this, you've probably noticed that the Edit and Report buttons look a bit different and are both moved to a consistent position on the bottom right corner of the post. For us in the staff, the amount of buttons on each post was getting pretty ridiculous, so to be perfectly honest cleaning up the buttons row is a QoL feature mainly for us, lol. It'll be useful for future user-facing features as well, though. For example, when the Quote button gets (eventually!) added, it'll be located neatly next to the existing buttons.

More concrete updates coming hopefully soon, both to the forums and the site in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread