New servers and file optimisation request!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Power Uploader
@XXXXXXXXXIII Lossy is lossy, that's the disadvantage of .jpg. That and it only has a smaller filesize when compared to uncompressed .png

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
Be careful with .jpg and greyscale images, an optimised PNG is smaller than a JPEG until you start dropping quality hard enough to have very noticeable artifacts.

Group Leader
Actually when I read all comment, I have a question... which one is better for storing manga chapters? because all this time I keep using jpg, but the comments show that you use png.. Can somebody answer my question, please?

Staff
Admin
@Santiasan

If you spend timing cleaning it, then png - properly optimised. Especially true of physical raws.

If your source files are jpg and you don't clean the jpg artefacts, or it isn't worth cleaning the artefacts... Well, you know the saying, you can't polish a turd. So might as well stick with jpg in that case.

It really does depend on the quality of your raws and the work you put into it.

Group Leader
@Santiasan ideally .png since it's not lossy (aka 255 white will always be 255 white, where as jpg could compress your 255 white into 253 white. In reality it's not really noticable unless you dial your screen brightness to max and actively look for it, or for whatever reason use very high jpg compression. I for one only started to use png because my cleaner insisted it's necessary

Power Uploader
@Santiasan Definitely .png, I've seen a lot of awfully big chapters out there because they're in .jpg. Like, 1~2MB for a single page. On a B&W manga.

@XXXXXXXXXIII Someone I know said there were JS libraries to do so, I don't know of any though. (Not that I ever needed/been coding for a long time) There is the possibility of said compression not being lossless in some cases though, as opposed to humans doing it (Like Pngyu producing lossy compressions on colored pages, whereas I tested it on almost 300 B&W pages, all lossless given I tightly controlled and checked compression/quality. Heck, I even compressed them way further, selecting 8 colors at times, instead of 256 colors, resulting in some chapter only having around 1/6th of the original size)

Group Leader
whats the difference between JPGs and PNGs ? Interesting you know, when you doesnt know such a common thing!! cool thing.

Group Leader
Nice. I just tried Pingo/Pinga out with raws of a chapter ripped and it went from 104MB to 87.9MB using the suggested lossless (web) settings on Pingo/Pinga optimization, with no additional artifacts or discernible details lost. I'm quite satisfied with this, because WIP files fills up space quickly, so this frees up my hard drive space, and I get to keep full resolution details in all it's glory without the excess fat making it slow to load. There's nothing I hate more about manga than low quality scans or small images for ants (except for of course; terrible localization, wrong translations, and shoe-horned IRL politics, but I digress). It's a win-win for everybody.

@Holo
Just to add to ix's post - we're currently in the process of pingoing all the .pngs on the image servers. This lossless optimisation process reduces filesize because it strips out the unnecessary metadata and does not result in any loss of quality. This is going to take a while, we're looking at around 16 weeks in total, because there are almost 10TB to go through. By the time it finishes, we expect to save around 1.5 TB of data!

Awesome. I'm looking forward to a more speedier reading experience from the well-oiled site. 1.5 TB saved is pretty crazy...that's the size of my whole hard drive!

Power Uploader
@Harry_Dong I'd advise you to check on raws though, at least Pngyu changed image mode to Index from RGB, forcing cleaner to go to Image tab and change Color Mode to RGB for every single file. For raws I now store them in .jpg (Btw if you want to translate Sensei de Shicha Ikemasen or Ushiro no Shoumen Kamui-san, both Manga One mangas, DM me and I can provide raws, most of the chs are app-exclusive and not available in the wild because of that)

Group Leader
Good advice and all but about 90% of people uploading scans won't give two damns about file size optimization. Most improvements will come from server-side optimization of uploaded files, and not from politely asking members, unfortunately.

Has Lossless WebP been considered as an alternative to PNG, now that all of the browsers that matter support it?

I heard you get smaller images by up to 26%

Double-page supporter
> Has Lossless WebP been considered as an alternative to PNG ... ?
Why would you use something that even author/owner doesn't use?

> now that all of the browsers that matter support it
Visit google.com using any of these browsers and surprise-surprise google serves jpegs and pngs! Guess why?

Double-page supporter
> jpg quality 50 or less GG👍

IMO that would be fine for planned mobile version of MD.
Manga+ uses 50% jpegs and it actually looks good on 5" devices 😁

Power Uploader
@TjapDjemboet "jpg quality 50 or less" there you go. that's why you don't use it. Actual quality drop

@BzzBzz Storing duplicates of every single page isn't very good though
>Visit google.com using any of these browsers and surprise-surprise google serves jpegs and pngs! Guess why?
Uhm... Because there's no need to migrate everything over to .webp? Webp isn't exactly a common format, I've only ever seen it used in WhatsApp stickers and japanese manga apps on mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread