Nihonkoku Shoukan

Contributor
Due to my lack of knowledge of military vehicles, I thought in the opening pages that this was going to be WW2 Japan transported to an isekai. Which would have been an utterly fascinating genre clash if they were taking their historical fiction seriously.

But this could be good too. (I do feel like I smell some bright-eyed foolish nationalism wafting in over the waves, but I think I've lived long enough with my own country's nationalism that I can just shake my head and let it pass if it comes to that.)

Dex-chan lover
Nice... next: whole world comes into another world... oh wait ?

Well, what I'm curious about is the weebs seeing Elves and (beast people?) their reaction should be pretty funny or just Anticlimactic. :|

this is isekai in a whole new level! I wonder how big was that truck-san

@kimeraspacial I am wondering what happened to all the US military forces in Japan. There's something like 50,000 personnel total there. Even if they said something silly like only the main islands got zapped over so Okinawa was missed that still leaves the USFJ Command HQ in Tokyo and around a 1/3rd of the military installations left. Hope they get a fair shake and aren't either ignored or just treated as a villainous caricature 'cause someones gotta be mean to the natives for plot to happen.

Dex-chan lover
I'm wondering how the story is going to deal with the fact that Japan is in no way self-sufficient in fossil fuels, metals, and a number of other materials that are continually required to maintain a 21st century civilisation (let alone keep ships and airplanes operating for national defence).

I really hope the author don't just go all nihon sugoi on us and actually tackle issues like the aforementioned trade deficit and adaptations on the economy since the foreign market just suffered a hard reset. Holy shit, this could be an amazing read if the author did some research.

@freakofnature @Ekdeep Not only the resources, many jobs have probably also been lost. People who have friends or relatives living or traveling overseas will never see them again. This scenario probably changes a lot of other things we haven't even thought about.

I'm also surprised that life seems to be just going on as usual, despite the government having (presumably) announced Japan's abrupt inter-dimensional trip to the public. It's not like they're trying to hide it, since the foreign ministers (who can use magic) are just walking around in plain sight.

Dex-chan lover
@Ekdeep Well, yes, that was what I was getting at -- Japan will have to act quickly to gain access to resources, in order to maintain their level of technology and industry. A modern technological society runs down very fast, in the absence of a steady stream of material resources.

For iron (something that Japan is lacking), this will not be a great problem. Doubtless, the outside world has plenty of mines. But petrochemicals is a different matter, with a much greater difficulty. They will have to find crude oil and import it (which is a logistical challenge in itself), then refine it (which they already have the facilities for, in-country).

If the story plays this right, it could be an interesting aspect. But I fear we may see it glossed over and hand-waved away.

I agree, If the author skips on the details on how a nation would stabilize itself in a new world, and goes straight for a "look at all the cool things in my country". It will be a short and disappointing manga.

Contributor
I think lots of people have already said this, but I'm sort of disappointed at the lack of apparent consideration for just how much of a resource emergency they would be in. Like people still casually using cars in Ch. 2, as if no strict resource rationing has yet been put in place (as one does when one's country is cut off from resources, e.g. when blockaded).

Food would be priority number 1 by a mile and a half, it's true—but Japan wouldn't be cabable of maintaining it's technology stack when cut off from the rest of the world—I want to see people scrambling to figure out how to develop and obtain alternate fuels that are "good enough" to run in existing engines, filling in the gaps for stages in manufacturing processes that were outsourced 'till now, start scrapping old sources of materials for stuff that Japan can't mine itself... that sort of thing.

There would have had much more impact in Ch. 2 if, for instance, we saw people lining up for petrol rationing lines (possibly shielded from the view of visiting dignitaries). Instead the highlight of the chapter was the humorous visual juxtaposition of a medieval chap reclining on a cruise-liner pool deck.

This comes within inches of being a truly magnificent thought-experiment, yet so far is missing the mark completely for me... it's frustrating. And it's not like there's great character drama or anything that I'm supposed to be focusing on instead :/

Users who are viewing this thread