Nintendo Switch Lite

As some of you may know Nintendo reveal their next version of Nintendo Switch which is the Nintendo Switch Lite. It’s a version of the Switch that is solely for portable play only and for that reason it’s a smaller model compared to the original with less features (which would have an affect on playing certain games but I do not see it being a huge deal breaker) that but an added feature in the form of the d pad as well as a longer battery life. The console would be release in September in the following three colors: yellow, turquoise, grey for around $200.

Is anyone here planning on getting the Nintendo Switch Lite or (for those who already own a Nintendo Switch) are okay with the original model, and if you are going to get the Switch Lite which color are you all choosing?

For me owning the Nintendo Switch is enough; although the idea of having an extra Switch with a longer battery life would not be a bad idea when I think about it. I do not have the means to invest on a similar console at this time. I would imagine for anyone who has yet to own a Nintendo Switch and prefer playing games on portable consoles then on TV this would be must buy. Color-wise I was not entirely feeling it. I was asking myself when watching the reveal “why those colors?” If I do decide to get one I will go for turquoise since it’s the color I like the most out of the three.

i almost never use my switch outside the dock, so not having tv output is a deal breaker for me. if this were more akin to a "switch pro" then i'd be all over it once i'm back at work - my current one would almost immediately get loaded with custom firmware and emulators.

regardless i think it's a smart move. cheaper, smaller, sturdier = parents not having to worry as much about their kids breaking it.

Dex-chan lover
Some switch game use that motion detection thing.. Which the LITE doesn't have, I call that a flaw!

Also,
I can't use the cardboard box thing with Nintendo Switch LITE... I call that a MAJOR FLAW!!

@ItsQuote
regardless i think it's a smart move. cheaper, smaller, sturdier = parents not having to worry as much about their kids breaking it.

I agree! I heard that Nintendo wants to increase the install base for the Nintendo Switch, and this is a good way to go about it.

@ABCsOfLife
Some switch game use that motion detection thing.. Which the LITE doesn't have, I call that a flaw!

So I heard from a discussion about the upcoming system from a video game news channel I watch on youtube. Particularly playing The Legend of Zelda: Breadth of the Wild there are certain events in the game in which the player needs to use motion control so I can see that being a problem for certain games that require the feature.

I can't use the cardboard box thing with Nintendo Switch LITE... I call that a MAJOR FLAW!!

I can understand Nintendo not making the Switch LITE compatible with Labo. The Labo seems like s separate thing for the original Switch and the purpose of the Switch LITE is to be able to play games exclusively on the go, and I do not see it practical to be playing games on the labo in cases when a player is out of the house (think traveling or in public places like school or a business).

Also, the same video I was watching mention that Nintendo does not know what to do with the Labo at this time, or particularly how to market it further.

@Thoraxe41
RIP the Gameboy/DS Line.

Or so you say for the DS line, but Nintendo is still going to continue supporting the system as stated by the president of Nintendo of America, because there is still demand for it. Also, the Gameboy line has been dead.

Miku best girl
Admin
$200 for a nintendo handheld seems a bit steep...

Not necessarily when you consider the prices of past Nintendo handheld consoles when they were release. For example, the Nintendo 3DS cost around $250 when it was first release back in 2011 and the Nintendo 3DS XL cost around $200 at launch. The only portable consoles in recent years Nintendo release at a price lower then $200 was the Nintendo 2DS with a price point of around $129 and the Nintendo 2DS XL with a price point of $150, but that is due to those two being the 3DS but with less features. So I would say this is actually typical price point from Nintendo in terms of their handheld consoles, and given this console is the "lite" version of the original which is even more expensive I feel it's a fair price point.

With that said I understand if you can't buy the console at present. I am in a similar case as well. I was not originally planning on getting the Switch Lite at until I recently learn that there is going to be a special Nintendo Switch Lite for Pokemon Sword and Shield and from seeing how it looks that version of the Switch Lite by far has the best design out of the three others designs being release (in my opinion). However I am not sure I can set money aside for it in time for it's release so it's not something I am likely going to get this year.

Contributor
I like to see the lite version as a reaaaaally clunky gameboy advance

Users who are viewing this thread