Noragami - Vol. 23 Ch. 88.2 - Motive

Dex-chan lover
You know, stuff like what's going on with Yukine makes me wonder why not some other character instead of a little kid? it is just because having a kid do those things would get a pass easier than say, an adult man or even a girl/woman (note that I was originally expecting Hiyori would pull something like this)?. Really makes me wonder.

CKN

Dex-chan lover
I think there is a lack of explanation of how spirits are in nature in this fictional world. Most spirits here seems to be in a limbo state not only pure aesthetically but also in their mind. It makes me sad that we could not explore the world of Noragami a bit more to understand what becoming blessed regalia actually means; is it just a power-up based on trust and self-sacrifice? Nana became the exception when she partnered with Bishamonten for a common purpose. To make it short, expectations of Yukine's growth is downright thrown out of the window as he keeps breaking the rules of how a shinki should behave yet at the same time being established as the special higher being among his peers. The fact remains that he is a kid as many pointed out, but that also works against him as all that progress in his character always regresses back to when he was unruly.

what the fuck

this could've handled better without the obvious Edgy Development down to having black hair lmao. Yukine is now looking and acting like a weebs first deviantart oc. what is the author even thinking?

i'm not unhappy with the logical breakdown a manipulated victim like Yukine is supposed to have, mind you. i'm unhappy with how laughably tropey it turned out to be.

Aggregator gang
come on people the kid is not even 15 iirc. Also yato probably cannot kill him right now, he's too OP. His sister will have to handle him.

I think all this Yukine hate is so misplaced! The poor kid was MURDERED by his own father at the age of 14. Can you imagine learning that was your fate?? and that no one was really there for you during all of that??

I just hope Hiyori and Yato can reaffirm to Yukine that he is loved and that they legit couldn't tell him what happened. I hope they both can act like Sakura and break Yukine away from all of Father's manipulation soon.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH I HATE THIS SO MUCH SOMEONE NEEDS TO PUNCH YUKINE I HATE YUKINE STUPID LITTLE IDIOT AFTER LIKE 80 CHAPTERS OF DEVELOPMENT YOU DEVOLVE INTO SUCH AN IDIOT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
it feels like this manga is going in circles

Contributor
I think everyone is judging too hastily.... Yukine may be angry at Yato but I don't think he is fully under Father's influence either, just using him to find out about his past. I think like Nora he's a free agent right now.

I have just read it and haven’t gotten the time to throughly reflect on it since I did it so fast, but to me, that have the whole story so fresh in mind, this seems beautifully written.

When I think of it, the manga has been pointing out since day one how death is distressful and how one should value their life above all. Only those who cherish it can become shinki. They portrait it as if facing the demons that were left in a past life is the downfall of any spirit, since it is stained with the longing for life. So to be honest, Yukine isn’t being a brat, to me. He is going down the path that is expected of any shinki when faced with their past lives. He was even doing fine with Yato’s absence, until that shadow bestowed upon him.

All characters seem to me very faithful to their nature and personalities. Yukine’s need for care and attention has also been pictured before, and then he learned that love doesn’t come in form of material belongings. He learned to trust himself more, to be at ease and calm even when Yato has bad behaviors such as going missing or losing control, even when the thing he eagers the most is Yato’s approval.

Also, motivations are on point because the aggravating event which is Yato abandoning him simply can’t be helped. The character’s grown past his selfishness but he can’t help it since what he is doing is exactly to try to protect his shinki from the exact fate he is going down right now.

At the background, the story plays over and over with the concept of good and evil, pointing out all the gray areas on every creature, being it a god, a human, a shinki, an ayakashi or both. Ebisu being the one who walks the middle line and embraces both good and evil and Yato being that who crosses the lines, without turning away from his nature to “cull the herd”, which to me opens up to interpretation to who that herd might be.

Users who are viewing this thread