Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha - Vol. 1 Ch. 5 - Three-Pronged Harpooon

Dex-chan lover
It's finally here again! Three months is such a long wait, especially with a series that has as great a start as this one does. PLEASE don't let this "jump the shark".

Aggregator gang
Enlightened self-interest.

Always try to make it such that there is a good reason for someone to give you help. That way, it's in their own self-interest; they see a benefit to themselves.
He already had an established relationship with the researcher, and his condition enables her to learn things that she'd never be able to otherwise.
So long as he doesn't turn evil, it's in her self-interest to aid him.
So long as his basic character doesn't change, she knows she can trust him.
He'd already decided that he could trust her, if anyone.

ETA

Having read further in the chapter...

He doesn't realize just how liked, respected, and trusted he is in this town, does he?
That was somewhat obvious previously, given his modest self-assessment and the ruminations of the Guild Advisor.

He's in for a big surprise once he actually reveals what's happened to him to a larger group, just how many will have already figured out part of what's happened, and decided to continue to trust him anyway.

And it's all justifiable based upon his back story as already presented.

This author is worth watching.

2nd ETA

Heh.

Aiding the restaurant manager should, indeed, have an impact down the road.
This is someone else, after the girl, who had no contact with him previously.
He didn't conceal his real name under an alias.
So... when the chap makes a report to the Guild on what they find, unless he's been instructed otherwise later in the story, he'll report that it was Lento who aided him.
And... restaurants are hotbeds of information exchange, are they not? After all, everyone goes to them eventually.
One of the common tropes in these settings is that useful information comes from the barkeep, etc.; how the restaurant staff talk concerning people has a great impact upon how others perceive that individual.
In other words, he's just obtained a major positive PR resource within the local community. One that will reach many who haven't had direct contact with him previously.

O course, there may be other reasons why aiding him will prove beneficial to him in the long run, given the foreshadowing at the end of this chapter.

Dex-chan lover
Yep... he somewhat feels like the old Kaneki.... and he's a ghoul....
Why are these people so keen on the observation of this man???

Fed-Kun's army
This is SOOO GOOD!! I love the idea of him having all these connections from the past rewarding him in his time of need. Sucks though that it took becoming an undead to reap his hard earned rewards..

i like this story so much.
Now i'm going to read the novel after reading this manga till the latest.

Dex-chan lover
"At that time, I didn't..."

Release the klaxon
128-500x500.jpg

Aggregator gang
Really good story so far. I especially love the part where both people at the blacksmith shop recognises MC. I have complicated feelings. Something like sadness mixed with relief?
Imagine thinking a trusted acquaintance probably died, only to meet them some time later though in the guise of strangers. I'd definitely cry one way or another.

Aw he is so loved for people to sense him even if he changes they were deep connections, a shame he is oblivious to this.

Dex-chan lover
As usual the beginning made him out to be some weak, useless guy in order to create that false impression of him working up from nothing to power like a self-insert fantasy.
BUT in the usual clichéd style he already had a bunch of friends, connections, abilities of his own and practically gets new things handed to him on a platter.

Reminds me a bit of Naruto.
"Oh I'm so lonely and all the other kids shunned me."
5 minutes into the plot: "I now magically have nakama."

Meanwhile this story...
"I'm so weak and will never amount to anything, and now I'm an undead"
5 minutes into the plot: "I've overcome my weakness, got a bunch of stuff so I can pretend to be human, plus I was a local celebrity with loads of social connections all along."
As if being undead would be that fucking convenient.

Fuck these sorts of plots. Seriously.
Just like all those other school manga series that are "I'm a virgin who has never had a girlfriend but I'm just going to ignore my female childhood friend who stares at me and blushes all the time, as well as all these other girls conveniently falling in love at first sight for no reason".

[Edit]: And apparently I'm a monster. According to the ghoul at least.

Users who are viewing this thread