Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha

Dex-chan lover
@The5thSeraph you do know that names can be spelled in different ways right? "Shawn" can be variously spelled "Shaun" or "Sean" without pronunciation differences. Rent and Rentt are of course pronounced the same, but Rentt at least sidesteps being an English word.

again, Japanese is /rento/ only because Japanese doesn't allow /rent/. Based on the aesthetic of being a pseudo-European name, I would reckon the name is supposed to be /rent ~ lent/ as that's a "generic pseudo-European name" sound (not necessarily drawing from a specific European language. Keep in mind this is written by a Japanese person in Japanese in Japan, not a European in the heart of Europe).

so to render /rent ~ lent/ as an English name during translations, you go Rent or Lent. But then they look like existing English words instead of names, so you add on an extra "t" to prevent that association without changing the pronunciation (which is possible in a generic European-ish sounding name compatible with English, like Brett, Scarlett, Barrett). It's all very logical. Choosing between Rentt and Lentt then becomes a matter of preference. I think personally Rentt looks better as a /re/ sequence is more common in the beginnings of syllables for names I can think of (Reynold, Ray [pronounced Rey], Red), but Lentt is a valid choice.

Sure, there is some liberty taken by translators here rather than going for a pure phonetic transcription, but the thought process is at least logical and understandable, not in any way stupid. You can't expect Japanese to be able to render foreign names without changing them.

Rento/Lento don't work imo because no English-sounding names have an /nto/ sequence at the end. Sure, none of them have <ntt> either, but it's pronounced like /nt/ which is possible.

searching the website BehindTheName for example, "*ento" gives only the Portuguese name "Bento", which I reckon people would associate more with a Japanese lunchbox than anything. Searching "*ent" gives Brent, Clement, Millicent, Trent, Vincent for just English, with a handful of others for other languages.

Dex-chan lover
@MyriadDestiny
you do know that names can be spelled in different ways right? "Shawn" can be variously spelled "Shaun" or "Sean" without pronunciation differences.
It is spelt "Siôn" where I'm from. So yeah, I am quite aware of that. Push the same name through different languages and it comes out spelt differently.
Thing is, the "name" we're speaking of doesn't have any sort of precedent in our world as far as I'm aware.

Rent and Rentt are of course pronounced the same, but Rentt at least sidesteps being an English word.
As does Lento, not that it makes much difference whether it is an existing word or not, as there IS precedent for Japanese authors trying to be exotic and using random English words as names. What is more important here is that "ntt" is not one of the usual arbitrary collections of letters used in English words to needlessly complicate the language. And for that matter, I don't know of any language off-hand where it would be (though, I edit in, I did find that Finnish thing later).
As to whether they're pronounced the name, you are simply choosing to do so, but there is no "of course" about it as there is no precedent for "ntt".

I would reckon the name is supposed to be /rent ~ lent/ as that's a "generic pseudo-European name" sound (not necessarily drawing from a specific European language.
In the absence of name precedence, it has about an equally likely chance of being intended to be "rent" or "lent" as "rento" or "lento". It isn't as if ending words (or names) in "o" is a completely alien concept here, though it would certainly be more common in Mediterranean countries. Heck, the works of Shakespeare are absolutely riddled with characters with "o"-ending names.
BUT obviously there is another factor: That it is WRITTEN as "rento" / "lento" whichever way it may be intended, ergo writing the same is not wrong under any circumstances, while writing "rent" / "lent" has about a 50/50 chance of being wrong since we don't know the intent. Ergo leaving the "o" on the end is the more correct choice, probability-wise.

so to render /rent ~ lent/ as an English name during translations, you go Rent or Lent. But then they look like existing English words instead of names, so you add on an extra "t" to prevent that association without changing the pronunciation (which is possible in a generic European-ish sounding name compatible with English, like Brett, Scarlett, Barrett). It's all very logical.
They are existing English words, though there is nothing unusual about that as far as extra naming conventions go. There is certainly no need to prevent it. As for the names you gave (I'd forgotten those existed, to be fair), there are two things worth highlighting: Firstly, they don't have any other consonants before the "tt", and all of them function as names (and are more often written) without the "tt".
So again this is chasing down the least probable path and then making arbitrary and even more improbable changes to it.
Funnily enough, now I think about it, "Brent" is a name, though it is never EVER written with a second "t".

Sure, there is some liberty taken by translators here rather than going for a pure phonetic transcription, but the thought process is at least logical and understandable, not in any way stupid.
I absolutely disagree. Just because you've contrived an explanation for it doesn't mean it is logical. All you've achieved is demonstrating it is vaguely possible, despite being highly improbable. Rather like beating someone unconscious with a frozen banana, just because it can be done doesn't mean it isn't stupid.

Rento/Lento don't work imo because no English-sounding names have an /nto/ sequence at the end. Sure, none of them have <ntt> either, but it's pronounced like /nt/ which is possible.
As I already said, there is no name precedent for either. But the "nto" sequence you speak of CAN be pronounced comfortably enough in English. I'm not even sure "ntt" would be pronounced the same as "nt" as the combination of letters itself doesn't exist in English at all.

I just checked a name database myself and determined two things:
Searches for "ento" included in the name had a few "Bento", one "Cento", plenty of Japanese "Kento" (possibly an influence in this case), and possibly more interestingly, a lot of names ending in "enton". Of course that could have been written as is in Japanese, but it wasn't, so it isn't valid.
HOWEVER, searches for "entt" yielded no results whatsoever. Not one. Nothing. And that is including the possibility of extra letters afterwards.
Out of morbid curiosity I did take the "e" off and look for just "ntt", and literally the only result that came up is "Antti", a Finnish name. And funnily enough it still has a vowel on the end. Doing the same for "nto" yielded every possible combination of "Anton" / "Antoine" / "Antony" / "Antonio" etc. imaginable.

SO what we have established here is that while none of the words specified had any precedent as names, at least the "ento" sound does have, while "entt" does not. Point to me, not that I needed it.
Your pitfall here is that you're treating everything that apples to "nt" as also applicable for "ntt", when it quite blatantly isn't.

I'm loving this manga! 10/10
The story has really good pacing and world building. Art is amazing! Main character is likeable good guy while also being an experience adventurer.
If anyone is looking for something similar I recommend The Wolf Won't Sleep : https://mangadex.org/title/37088/the-wolf-won-t-sleep
I'm also always on look out for more manga with stories and art similar to this if anyone has recommendations please mention me.

This is good, good Mc, harem but have barely romance (which is I like) very good art, good story, just good 10/10,need more of this.

i remember reading the first chapter and idk why i just stopped so ima read this again also there are alot of positive comments so it makes me wanna read it.

could some like spoil me more about whats going to happen in the future and if
noble girl he met before is a vampire or something and what is the bloodline that they wanted to preserve?

Dex-chan lover
The story has seemed to have stalled out. 4 issues of nothing genuinely happening has been boring. This is a good series but the last few issues have been boring and nothing has happened.

Contributor
It's not a bad read, but it's really slow, and some chapters are really unecessary.

Fed-Kun's army
The grammar and gender mixing is kinda bad for a translation but that's fine, Just gotta grammarize it

Users who are viewing this thread