Ogami Tsumiki to Kinichijou. - Ch. 31 - Mokuri-san and Webs

Dex-chan lover
Baby Mokuri yessss.
I get that her friend felt guilty and whatnot but, is she like.. out of the picture now? Kinda cold tbh.

Dex-chan lover
Weird they went with the “my friend was second hand hurt by an online troll and now I won’t use webs ever again” route instead of what I thought they were building “I want to be an artist that makes art that stands it’s own merits, and not popular due to being a quirky genjin novelty”
Missed opportunity imo
L take
Tbf either way works fine. But I will say that this "If my uniqueness hurts people I care, I wish I wasn't unique instead" route fits the series better.
W take

Dex-chan lover
Boy's hanging on to that baloon art with nothing but just his fists, he must be some kind of gorilla genjin because that's some kinda grip strength
It's the same as hanging on to a bar when doing pull-ups. Not really that hard, unless you are unusually big. Which Yutaka isn't.

I see you aren't familiar with school administrators.
Now that I'm no longer working at school, I would like to wish school administrators to suffer for everything they do. They do not do a single good thing for the school.

Yes, nice catch - the school administrator is finishing her train of thought with the end of his own lecture in a slightly different interpretation. I couldn't think of any way to emphasize this without an actual TN note, and as you've probably noticed we try to avoid those unless it's truly whaaaat? like the 'good at math' thing so just want with 'smoothly finishing her thought.'
If I was a mangaka, I would make it a double speech balloon - once for the school administrator, and once for the student's train of thought.
TBF this would be like tackling someone down and pressing them on the floor because they won't stop following and pestering you, if your so bothered then you should go to a teacher and have to kicked off school grounds or something.
So, a perfectly normal thing children do all the time. As if teachers would ever help you, and not the bullies.
Erm, actually that amount of balloons cant lift up even a small child ☝️🤓
Well, they are shown previously as holding up when a sporty dragon-girl is hanging on the installation.
As for lifting power, let's generously assume the ball is 3 meters in radius. That's 4 /3 *3.14 * (3^3), or about 122.4 m^3.
Air is 1.29 kg /m^3, hydrogen is about 0.09 kg / m^3. So that's about 1.2 kg of lifting power per m^3. Which means that generously-sized ball can lift about 146 kilograms of students (rounded down to account for balloon material), or 2-3 students, depending on how heavy they are.

Dex-chan lover
So sad to see lolis grow.
She got suspended for non violent self defense? Get this real world shock out of my comfy read!

Justice for spider girl!
We all know that in real life she would have gotten yelled at and expelled for daring to defend herself.

Dex-chan lover
Hey everyone, apologies for the delay of this chapter. I was engrossed in the new expansion of the critically acclaimed MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV. Just finished Dawntrail MSQ, took a break to edit and upload, then now back to the game. Those jobs won't level themselves.

A key point of this chapter;
FEMBOY SENGA
BOTTOM TEXT
Good game choice. I haven't played in two days due to having to touch grass, but I will be back at it tonight!

Have to start leveling all my gatherers and crafters.

Thanks for taking the time to upload the chapter!

Dex-chan lover
It's the same as hanging on to a bar when doing pull-ups. Not really that hard, unless you are unusually big. Which Yutaka isn't.

Ribbons/cloth strips aren't the same as holding on to pull-up bars.

He's not "hanging on" like on a bar, he's GRIPPING them.

Dex-chan lover
First Page.
Mokuri is exaggerating there, no matter how she did that art, it was her who did it so of course they'll tell her name, the name of the person who did it.
If you've never made a concerted effort in a creative and competitive field, you might not understand the tension within putting your name on something you know isn't really self-expression, but is people-pleasing. It feels like getting praise for the wrong reasons. "I did not use my webs, so it is meaningless", she says.

Captura-de-imagem-20240708-153416.jpg

It's a photo of her work made and selected to be showcased in the art club room along other art made by other students. All items showcased there during festival have the name of the student who submitted the work, the name must be obligatory. We don't see it but we can assume that Instagram account also have photos of the other students works.

I can understand and sympathize with what appears to be the core personal problem Mokuri has, but the way the chapter tells and justifies this drama is contrived.
Isn't how well an author is able to tell his story and convince his readers what makes a good series? This time he "failed".

Japan has a strong culture of shame. I'd guess the fact that she saw herself as to blame for the criticism Mokuri was getting brought her so much shame she couldn't bear to be around her. Like she didn't deserve her.

If she was really "ashamed" so much she should had committed Sudoku.
Shameful Display!

Dex-chan lover
All items showcased there during festival have the name of the student who submitted the work, the name must be obligatory. We don't see it but we can assume that Instagram account also have photos of the other students works.

I can understand and sympathize with what appears to be the core personal problem Mokuri has, but the way the chapter tells and justifies this drama is contrived.
Isn't how well an author is able to tell his story and convince his readers what makes a good series? This time he "failed".
In that case I simply don't understand why you have a problem with that page. If you understand that she's reticent about having her name attached to something she's not entirely happy with, what's the problem? I can understand your criticism of the chapter as a whole, although I'd argue that such contrivances are necessary for the established tone and format (also she is not a main character and her arc is not the focus of the overarching story, she's just the "monster of the week" [no offence meant to spider-girls]), but the opening page sets up her inner conflict sufficiently and in a way easily understood.

She feels punished for her nature, and the way it harms others around her without her meaning to. This is represented in the literal sense by the fact she is punished by school for using her webs, and in the sense that she is punishing herself by not using her webs for her art despite her deep desire to be true to herself and her art. That opening panel sets up her inner conflict, the explanation of which is bookended by the consequences of her external conflict. It's actually well done, despite being a contrivance, in a manner that cuts the fluff and keeps it contained within 17 pages.

Dex-chan lover
I was gonna get mad about the teachers recognizing their own failure of their most important duty (keep students safe) and how they punish (I assume she was suspended? it wasn't clear) someone for defending themself in the face of that failure, but then I remember its a manga and its monster people, so its just gonna work different than I assume it would/should.
What's really frustrating to me is that the teachers didn't try to understand her more and get to the bottom of things.

On the other side or unpleasantly real things most of the time even if something is self-defense some kind of "show of punishment" has to be done for optics because what matters is that you enacted physical violence first.
The banal, teacher's textbook speech about correctness
The "even if you have X trait you shouldn't yada yada"

As someone who has been in a kinda similar situation I can assure you this is all very realistic.
Just because something should happen, doesn't mean it would

Group Leader
Well, they are shown previously as holding up when a sporty dragon-girl is hanging on the installation.
As for lifting power, let's generously assume the ball is 3 meters in radius. That's 4 /3 *3.14 * (3^3), or about 122.4 m^3.
Air is 1.29 kg /m^3, hydrogen is about 0.09 kg / m^3. So that's about
hmm, yes, this makes s-
1720655812214.png
my man wants to blow up the entire school
I would like to wish school administrators to suffer
he has a motive

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread