Oishinbo - Vol. 27 Ch. 253 - The Technique in Japanese Cuisine

Group Leader
Joined
Apr 7, 2024
Messages
307
This chapter is another good example of Kurita standing up for herself. She's really growing into her role as a writer for the Ultimate Menu.
She doesn't quite have the full breadth of experience and knowledge that Yamaoka does, but she has a good intuition and appreciation for cuisine. Perhaps one day, we'll see her resolving an incident without Yamaoka's bailing her out.

I know she did the sakura drink, but I want more.
 
Aggregator gang
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
101
Kinda crazy that this chapter and the one before, back to back, are also included in the à la Carte edition, though if memory recalls, both are placed in different editions.

Sometimes I wonder how much hard work the English official translators had done back in the day to read through all the volumes and hundreds of chapters just to pick the ones that most suited certain categories, like Rice, Vegetables, Sake, and more.
 
Group Leader
Joined
Apr 7, 2024
Messages
307
Kinda crazy that this chapter and the one before, back to back, are also included in the à la Carte edition, though if memory recalls, both are placed in different editions.

Sometimes I wonder how much hard work the English official translators had done back in the day to read through all the volumes and hundreds of chapters just to pick the ones that most suited certain categories, like Rice, Vegetables, Sake, and more.
From the a la Carte's end notes, I think it's safe to say the translator has read all of Oishinbo, up to Volume 82. They know a lot of story and character details that aren't shown off in the translated chapters themselves.

As for the categories, they're likely inspired by Japan's own Oishinbo a la Carte volumes, where several similarly themed stories are collected into categorised books. Viz probably decided this would be a more sustainable approach due to the sheer length of the series, the notably political slant in many of the chapters, and potential lack of manpower.

I can at least tell they are not lacking in interest. They've even included recipes and translated snippets from Kariya himself. You don't do that without a love for the series.
 
Aggregator gang
Joined
Apr 28, 2018
Messages
101
From the a la Carte's end notes, I think it's safe to say the translator has read all of Oishinbo, up to Volume 82. They know a lot of story and character details that aren't shown off in the translated chapters themselves.

As for the categories, they're likely inspired by Japan's own Oishinbo a la Carte volumes, where several similarly themed stories are collected into categorised books. Viz probably decided this would be a more sustainable approach due to the sheer length of the series, the notably political slant in many of the chapters, and potential lack of manpower.

I can at least tell they are not lacking in interest. They've even included recipes and translated snippets from Kariya himself. You don't do that without a love for the series.
I don't think I can ever thank Viz enough for translating just the necessary parts so that everyone outside Japan, like me, can learn a lot about cuisine and its finer details that I probably won't find anywhere else.

And for what it's worth, while many of the manga's plot points and the characters' characterizations genuinely may not always be agreeable to us non-Japanese readers, at least I can never fault the actual cuisine aspects of it (unless it's proven to be actually wrong/scientifically inaccurate today).

IMO, it's always kind of a blast to learn the many aspects of Japanese cuisine that Oishinbo covered because of how limited the English coverage of such subjects can be.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top