“Okaeri, Papa” - Vol. 2 Ch. 12 - Punishment

Dex-chan lover
Papa is trying to unthink about that TV broadcast an hour ago. The way Touko smiled, and the story is a dead giveaway that Papa becomes suspicious.

I think that saying that starts hedging the line of "victim blaming" her. The kind of pressure she's had to be better, or to be more, since she was a kid? That's got to be tough. And it's never enough, either; until she's at the very top there's always another person that she can be compared against.
The mother never told her to push that kid down the stairs. Neither did she tell her to set up the step dad or spread rumours about the step daughter.
She made those choices on her own and needs to be held accountable.

Dex-chan lover
So she went as far as leaking the address to the stalker. If she's the one who did, that is. Given the previous chapters, it seems plausible but then this is within three days or something, right? This girl works fast!

I say the girl should have just been an innocent victim with things, just not going her way in life. I believe the end results would have been way more impactful. With her trying to get at the fmc and losing hard.

Supporter
Ngl the only thing more unsettling than that ending is the amount of unironic victim blaming in this here comment section. Like, wtf guys?
Glad I'm not the only one expressing this sentiment...

The mother never told her to push that kid down the stairs. Neither did she tell her to set up the step dad or spread rumours about the step daughter.
She made those choices on her own and needs to be held accountable.
I'm not saying that she shouldn't have accountability, and I hope you're not implying that that should be meted out with this implication of sexual assault. Feel free to leave my response at that, what follows is me simply trying to (over) analyze the story so I can get all of these thoughts out of my head.

----------------------------------------------

We don't have any actual details about Yurika's family, other than the best guess (going by the photograph) is that by the time of that first play her mother was already a single parent.

To contrast, Touka's mother has also been a single parent for some time until just recently. As an aside, for as rough as absolutely everything else was in REALscans' releases, they at least got it right in identifying in chapter 1 that she was "the daughter of Miyako-san and her late husband, and is in her second year of high school" (that particular line I had an acquaintance translate for me from the raw). "Do It For Her", translating from Indonesian, has it as her father passing away in her second year.

I was thinking that it felt in Yurika's case like 'tiger parenting' (since that was the terminology I could remember), and looking that up directed to the Japanese parallel of kyōiku mama. Yurika's mother has been raising her on her own for at least around about a decade at this point, and it's clear that she has a lot of anger and resentment towards her daughter. To say "I shouldn't have given birth to you" could well imply that Yurika's father walked out even before she was born, so Yurika is then the one to blame for that.

The only way Yurika can keep her mother happy is by being number one in every single case. She was praised for getting the lead role in the play, but she was only able to get that because she was the second pick. While there just isn't enough information provided to be certain, it might have been the success she had been having as a junior idol that lead to the incident which forced her to retire. She clearly is bolstered, perhaps dependent, on the positive traction on her socials. I can relate to that here, because I want to feel like my posts are engaging to people -- even if all I'm doing is attempting to make the most basic of jokes and talking about cinnamon rolls at every opportunity.

To Yurika, Touko has so many things going for her that she wants for herself -- the top grades, a carefree attitude & natural magnetism to others, and most importantly a family life that includes a father and that is free of unreasonable expectations. Various events in her life has twisted have twisted her thoughts that it's completely normal that all those things rightfully belong to her, so she's only doing what's needed to get them. Touko of course is twisted in her own ways that she'll do everything in her own power to keep her from doing that. Of course in her case, the only thing that matters is Papa.

Dex-chan lover
1. Why the aunt doesn't say anything when she comes inside with fucking scissors? She can slip and stab herself or smth
2. Bitch, now the aunt will have to buy a new mirror
3. Bitch, close the fucking water, the aunt will have to pay much more cuz of you
4. Oh shit, what's gonna happen to her now?

Users who are viewing this thread