Old JavaScript library jQuery v3.3.1 bug

In short, mangadex uses an old version of the javascript library, which has a bug when using a certain browser extension.
This extension is called "Scroll To Top Button". At first I thought this extension had a bug.
So I started a topic on github. The developer of this extension discovered it was the fault of the old libraries of the mangadex website.
The error is that drop-down lists cannot be opened.
Link to the topic on you can look more closely at the case.
https://github.com/PoziWorld/Scroll-To-Top-Button-extension/issues/16

Is there any reason why website developers don't want to update old java libraries? Apparently it's easy and doesn't change anything.

They are using version 4.1.1 of bootstrap wich comes with jquery 3.3.1.If you just replace the jquery with an up2date one then it could break stuff. Big libraries(like jquery) are usually designed in a way that replacing them with a new version wont cause issues but sometimes it can happen, after all 3 years of development is quite some time.

I can't say why they haven't updated their dependencies but at this point it is not really worth it since they are completely rewriting their site for v5 and the time you might need to spend fixing bugs is just not worth.

You can install an extension to redirect the jquery to an more up2date one

Technically... it shouldnt be MD's problem. Because if a website has to make sure every single niche extension works with it, theyd never get anything done because everything would be breaking. Therefore its the extension creators problem to fix problems with their own extension not working.

Users who are viewing this thread