One Punch Man (Webcomic/Original) - Ch. 138

Aggregator gang
Damn disco bro really just put out some truth slam. Never expected that from him lmfao

Dex-chan lover
Damn, Forte (dico bro) do be spitting some facts right there. Good chapter, many stuff happened, good stuff

@sUxToBeU lmao xD

Fed-Kun's army
I thought Mumen was going do die, holy shit my heart rate spiked.

I feel like Mumen Rider is respected because of the fact that he was weak. It was his determination and perseverance in the face of an insurmountable foe that gave him his fame. Also because he was relatable unlike the other S-Class superhumans.

Now that he has this custom power suit, he won't be facing impossible challenges and won't be showing his determination anymore. Even though his suit is somewhat stronger, he'll just blend in with the rest of the Neo Heroes.

Man, Blue looks more and more like someone with whom Saitama would definitely *not* want to work with (assuming he'd want to work with anyone).

Dex-chan lover
Daaaamn bro, a lot of things to unpack.
DJ Dude spittin' facts, Everyone getting worried about Mumen dying, Mumen joining the Neos, and Saitama's 3 neighbors. Man, I like this.

At least the Neo-heroes didn't actually kill Mumen for their publicity, but I wonder if he actually transfered to Neo heroes or he is just using the power suit as free real estate.
Saitama group is expanding, nice to see that despite getting better living standards Saitama still doesn't stop bringing out the better part people around him.

Dex-chan lover
Neo heroes advertising making everyone into heroes. Kinda reminds me of another super hero story.

@TwinAero
If I remember correctly, Mumen joined because the (arguably better) leadership and battlesuits would make him more effective at helping protect the people. As always, he's just trying to do his best for the people.
Of course, Neo Heroes is also using him for good publicity.

@gartender

Mumen was never doing this for fame or money. He's always fought for his sense of justice and his civil duty to the people. Even if he's no longer the underdog that everyone roots for, I'm sure he'll keep fighting on all the same. Because he's the biker of justice.

Mumen was designed to be Saitama's character foil. Both are (mostly) pure-hearted, humble heroes. Mumen has all of the willpower and drive to be a hero but not much strength, and Saitama has ALL of the strength but none of the drive. Neither are really in this for money or fame (though Saitama was comedically shocked that no one knew who he was/is), and they don't really care how others or the public think of them. They're doing this because they want to.

oh damn carnage kabuto is back! wonder if zombie man is gonna yeet the bug when his limiter breaks.

seeing saitama in that clash really changed your entire worldview, mr earphone man.

I've always liked how ONE lets "jobber" characters have actually meaningful conversations and decisions.

And he does it consistently/organically too, as opposed to some stories that will have a side character do one or two meaningful things in the entire series when the author remembers they exist. And they'll even make a big deal out of it for like a single chapter and title it "____'s big moment!" or something before the character is relegated back to irrelevance.

@kazamakj And he even points out that Blue is his diametric opposite in strengths and weaknesses; he's sensible and responsible, but he lacks any real charisma or power of his own and is ultimately disposable. If he wasn't Blast's son, he'd be just another cog in the Neo machine who might've been roboticized long ago.

@Sauruan No, Saitama doesn't need to be punching things to giblets on every page to be the story's focus. Right now, he (and by extension, the members of the Hero's Association) are the champions of idealistic heroism (courage and willpower), as opposed to the pragmatic reality embodied by the Neo Heroes (cunning and force). The central conflict between this arc isn't physical so much as philosophical, with both sides battling to define what being a saviour really means.

Double-page supporter
@Sauruan it's fine the way it is. Most comedy series starts out funny but only starts to fail when it's serious plot isn't well executed. So far there was some buildup and introducing NEO Heroes vs. HA but before the two organizations are only rival organizations only until now that the centralized conflict is brought to light based on what @Jordan90334264 said, NEO Heroes is antagonistic to what Saitama as the protagonist represents.

Users who are viewing this thread