Onna Tomodachi to Kekkon Shitemita - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

When did gay marriage get legalized in Japan?? or is this manga making a prediction for 2021?

Dex-chan lover
YES, THIS IS MY KINDA THING! Marriage it's also an economical decision, so it does make sense to marry your friend if you feel comfortable with sharing all your stuff with them!

Having said that. It's obvious one of them it's really deeply in love. I really do hope it becomes reciprocal in this situation.

(Also, that art style is similar to another shoujo-ai series I follow... Maybe it's the same author... Mmhm)

EDIT: It is!!!!! Damn, we are in for a ride.

Fed-Kun's army
Reminder to any naive souls that gay marriage is not and will not be legal in Japan any time soon. The governing conservative party openly admit that passing such a law, as well as any anti-LGBT discrimination laws, is not their intention. Other parties may be more open to the idea, but there's no real legal pathway to do so should they be elected, especially since the constitution would have to be changed. This manga is, unfortunately, just fantasy. Cute tho, nonetheless.

Supporter
@moikkai starting in 2015 (i.e. about 5 years before "now" assuming this is contemporary) a growing number of municipalities in Japan have been issuing "partnership certificates" providing a form of official recognition of same sex relationships - it's not actual same sex marriage (which, as you say, isn't likely to be legalised any time soon), but from context it seems likely that's what's being referred to. So I wouldn't say this is purely fantasy, even if the choice of words (either by the translators or the original author) is potentially confusing.

It's a bit weird to me that a culture which produces such a lot of artistic representation of same sex relationships (and historically was pretty comfortable with the idea of such things) has such serious hangups about same sex marriage . . . Hopefully that'll change sooner rather than later, if only so we can have more sweet wife on wife action . . .

Fed-Kun's army
@himi-cat Oh you're right, I hadn't considered it might be a mistranslation, thanks for pointing that out. If you're really wondering why Japan has such a problem with same sex marriage though, it's likely because any action to alter the constitution is very much still considered radical (same as everywhere else in the world, to be honest...). It's that and probably some weird attachment to traditionalism, since shintoism isn't even opposed to gay marriage.

JQ-

Group Leader
@moikkai @himi-cat -- as with any translation, there were definitely a few things that I stylised a little (or messed up...we've tried to correct those where they appeared!), but that line is actually a nearly direct translation of the original! It seems the Japan of this story's universe is a few steps ahead of the one in our universe...

@asian_weeb -- thanks for pointing that out! we've made the correction^^

Supporter
@JQ- interesting - I've seen the same thing in a couple of other yuri manga, and I figured it was either a translation choice or the authors being a little loose with their phrasing. Having read up on the political situation it seems like it may be as much optimism as fantasy - the current situation in Japan reminds me of where Australia was for a while before things snowballed and everything changed in a big rush, and I can easily see someone who writes this kind of story for a living doing their bit to try and push things forward . . .

Just two friends getting married and living together. No homo though.

Fed-Kun's army
Can't wait for the next chapter, and maybe a bit of romance?
Thank you so much for the chapter!! <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3

Dex-chan lover
Those thin-ass bread slices going to get burnt in the toaster. And I'm worried if I try to spread any condiments on those, they'll break!

Make those slices thick and fluffy, just like this manga will hopefully be.

Users who are viewing this thread