Onnamaou-sama wa Yuusha-kun wo Taosenai. - Ch. 8

Dex-chan lover
Are bellpeppers really such a disliked vegetable?
For me it is one of the few vegetables I enjoy eating, especially the red ones.
But here it’s very likely the green one, as ピーマン which is probably the word used in the raws usually refers to the green ones (at least from what I have seen). As these are more bitter than the red ones I can see why children don’t like them.

Dex-chan lover
For me, raw bell peppers are fine, but cooked ones taste horribly.

Dex-chan lover
I never understood the whole ordeal with bellpeppers in manga, uncooked it's not strong taste that would be like saying you dislike the taste of watermelon when it's mostly water...
To my knowledge it's just a Japan thing, just like how we don't like broccoli as kids I guess?

Dex-chan lover
I never understood the whole ordeal with bellpeppers in manga, uncooked it's not strong taste that would be like saying you dislike the taste of watermelon when it's mostly water...
the it's mostly water doesn't matter, all fruits are mostly water, all meat is mostly water, almost every food is mostly water, so what is your point? green bell peppers are bitter, that is what most people don't like (especially kids, their tongues are more sensitive to bitter foods).

edit: my little brother hates green bell peppers, he always did.

Fed-Kun's army
I've had some pretty bad green peppers that were bitter as hell before, and the bitterness of even the good ones might stick out a lot more to kids.

Dex-chan lover
@HORRIOR
@Rayznar

As other have stated the green peppers are more bitter with the other three varieties progressively getting sweeter the more red their coloring.

There is also something to be said about food that has been grown in the different climates around the world. Some varieties of cucumbers for instance tend to be sweeter when grown in warmer climates, while are more bitter the colder the temperature becomes.

So there are a lot of factors that would cause a specific fruit or vegetable to be tastier in one region of the world, while in others its more mild, or more bitter tasting in others.

Fed-Kun's army
Another factor to consider is that children's tastebuds haven't been burned away or otherwise damaged by years of hot drinks or other foods that adults have subjected themselves to, so they're going to be more sensitive to extremely strong flavors, especially bitter ones.

Dex-chan lover
the it's mostly water doesn't matter, all fruits are mostly water, all meat is mostly water, almost every food is mostly water, so what is your point? green bell peppers are bitter, that is what most people don't like (especially kids, their tongues are more sensitive to bitter foods).

edit: my little brother hates green bell peppers, he always did.
Heck, humans are on average more than 60% water. That fits the definition of mostly. Just eat humans they're mostly just water bro.

Bell peppers were an acquired taste. I didn't like them until I was an adult and now I could take them or leave them.

Double-page supporter
Can't stand basically any peppers raw but I think they're alright when cooked.

Fed-Kun's army
Demon queen, conquer the world already and have the hero become your son.

Users who are viewing this thread