Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - Vol. 9 Ch. 66

Ya...just use she. They worked when the joke was "what gender is she?" but now everyone knows. She's a girl, everyone knows she's a girl. Just use she. The vast majority of the population use they/them for plural. As much as internet culture is trying to push the singular they it's really rare and just sows confusion and ruins readability.

Group Leader
"They" is probably because kou looks like a boy but is a girl So karera is being used. Dunno for sure cause I haven't seen the raws

People really getting triggered over gender-neutral pronouns in these comments lmfao

@judevin28 because its stupid when everyone in manga already knows she is a girl ,just making it confusing for people for no reason

Dex-chan lover
pls use she for Kou, it just doesn't make sense to translate it another way in English and it doesn't flow at all well. The male honorific is still there, we get it, but it just doesn't work well in english to mess with the pronouns

@ikki_kun if everyone already knows she's a girl then why does it matter lmao, it wasn't confusing for me, and I can see from a bunch of other comments that it wasn't confusing for them either, seems like people just have an issue with it for the sake of having an issue with it.
Also they use "-kun" for her in the raws, I don't get why you would use "she" at all when they literally refer to her by the male honorifics in the manga.

@judevin28 a lot of people are complaining about how confusing it is from the comments ,she is a girl just use "she" ,how is this hard to understand ,i feel like im talking to a wall
for "-kun" i'll just let google answer this "Kun for females is a more respectful honorific than -chan, which implies childlike cuteness. Kun is not only used to address females formally; it can also be used for a very close friend or family member." it is not only used to refer to males ,i seen so many times "-kun" being use to address females in manga and anime

@ikki_kun ok let's go with it's confusing, we come back to the same question "Why does it matter?"
Kou could be a guy and they could be gay. Why. Does. It. Matter.
You're here for the fluffy romance, not for the pronouns lmao, just enjoy the fluff.
I feel like the pronouns are just extremely insignificant to be upset about.

@judevin28 i think you answered ur own question ,"it is confusing" and it makes my readable experience slightly worse

Dex-chan lover
Christ, people are whiney about the pronouns...

Okay, quick primer, in japanese pronouns arent commonly used to refer to people, instead of saying "im going to her place" it would be more common to say "im going to insert name's place". Having the chapter say "Now they have a job" sounds better in English than having Nao refer to Kou by name in every sentence, because English speakers dont typically do that

Now, as far as why "they" is used instead of "her", its because A) English has a shortage of gender-neutral pronouns and B) flipping between a male honorific and female pronoun feels weird to most readers. The -kun honorific is generally used to refer young men or juniors, and the friend group using it to refer to Kou is done because Nao mistakenly assumed Kou was male on first meeting them. Since the reader knows Kou is female, the translator is left in an awkward position, do they use the canonically used though incorrect gendered honorific and mix it with the opposite gender pronoun, or do they keep the honorific and mix it with a gender-neutral pronoun to cause less confusion

Tl;Dr - Stop bitching you whiney cunts. Its a pronoun, if it sets you off that much go back to living under a rock. Using "they" or "them" is perfectly appropriate

@ikki_kun I said it earlier too, me and a lot of others found nothing confusing about the chapter.
Some people did find it "confusing", I and a lot of others didn't, if it makes your reading experience worse, just read from some other TL.
As I said, a very insignificant problem to be upset about, just find another TL. Or if you already know Kou is a she, I don't even understand why you would get confused to start with unless you were a first time reader and have no exposure to Kou and Nao ever before.

@epicfail48 summed it up perfectly, thank you @epicfail48

putting aside you feelings on the use of random pronouns to describe yourself, i find it annoying when translators insert things like that in projects. one of the reason i dont watch dub is because they change lines to fit agendas and blame it on "mouth flaps" when called out on it. i understand in anime you need to fill or cut things down but dont add things cuse muh feelings. if its in the orginal fine I understand and it wont break the story but if you just insert it to "fill a narrative" its annoying. it takes me out of the story quicker then any thing else that can do it.

you can be triggered by my comment. i dont care. but please nothing is more annoying then things being pushed onto you cuse it your perceived right thing to do.

For the folks who are so keen to use pronouns you are surprisingly fast to misgender and mispronouns others.

@judevin28 yeah ,lets call it done here ,i don't wanna keep arguing ,you will not see my point and i will not see your point. if there was another translator i would read from that ,have a nice day.

Users who are viewing this thread