Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii - Vol. 9 Ch. 69

Dex-chan lover
@Thea271 the Japanese language doesn’t use he/she pronouns the way the English language does. In Japanese, the default is to be gender neutral, so the translators are actually being textually more accurate than if they were to “force” the use of a gendered pronoun when it just doesn’t exist in the text. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities

Group Leader
Oh, I didn't realise there was debate on Kou's gender in the comments.

I thought it was pretty clear, as explained in the manga.
She's an heterosexual woman, fully self-identifying as a woman, but gets sometime confused as a man due to her androgynous features.

I actually find it more disrespectful trying to assign her the wrong gender, or no gender at all. We should probably go with the gender she identifies as, no?

where's the other person? HE was only talking about Kou, one person. there is not need for any "gender pronouns." the group did it last time as well.

i find it funny that people attack commenters who have pointed out with facts that they, the group, Starless Nights Scans, so more then one person hence proper use of they, are using wrong pronouns. they, again more then one person attacking commenters, feel the need come in with hot takes that no has issues with. the issue is they are forcing gender politics just like the the rest of the "dub" industries. translations should be as close as it can be with annotations when things like gender specific phrases or words that don't translate into the translated language are used so we as the readers can understand.

Starless night scans, @Ceryskies, @InFinaLynx and, any one else that's not listed on the group page, thank you for your work but please take into consideration that you are inserting these things into the translation when at no time the mangaka has ever used these gender pronouns. you can just as easy use annotations when things don't fit the translation.

You guys may find other people's opinion funny.

But I just find it funnier that there's that one guy that just says "Thanks for the chapter"

Dex-chan lover
I read battle ground as ground pound, Amelia Watson got to me

Thanks for the translation

Normally I’m all for proper pronoun usage, but this does seem to be a case where they are getting misgendered as a male, when they are in fact female. I’m fine with either outcome, but my opinion would just be that she/her pronouns are used. Glad to see that the comment section isn’t ENTIRELY a pool of greasy comments. As always though, thanks for your hard work Starless Translation!

I love Nao-chan & Kou-kun so much!! I love all of the characters, but I kind of wish there was a spin-off with these two, so I could read consecutive chapters about them because their dynamic is so cute.

Also, y'all gotta calm down about the translator's pronoun choice. I get it if you're confused by the stylistic choice, but their choice to use "they" doesn't personally affect you, and I highly doubt they did it to purposely make people mad. If I was translating it, I would probably use "he/they" (depending on the character speaking) before Kou's gender was revealed and "she" now, but "they" is also a perfectly acceptable pronoun to use in this situation. As Yo-kun mentioned in this chapter, Kou-kun wasn't offended when Nao-chan mistook their gender and doesn't seem to mind either way. I think it's fairly safe to assume Kou-kun would be fine with "she" or "they" (but probably not "he"). And I think normalizing the use of "they" as a gender-neutral pronoun is a good enough reason.

Kou is an herosexual girl and identify herself as one soooo......🤡 the point of the story is that people mistakes her for a boy but she is a girl

Why don't you use "they/them" when you address Nao-chan? He is a male using feminine suffix so I guess it's enough reason to call him... I mean them using "they/them"
To make it even more incomprehensible let's address everyone by "they/them". Japanese is gender neutral language so it's safe to assume no one is cisgender

for a non native english speaker, reading they/them when talking about a single person makes it so damn confusing.
oh well.
thanks for the chapter by the way!

Thanks for translating and all, but “they/them” is just grating and hard to read - even as a native English speaker.

Kou-kun’s a “she” and always has been, people just sometimes mix it up.

Users who are viewing this thread