Otomege Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu

Dex-chan lover
@Zami I’m assuming you have sisters? I only grew up with younger brothers and love them to death. One is very close to my age so we get into arguments easily and had somewhat of a rivalry but that’s mostly because we’re also very close to each other.

I sometimes wonder how different it would be if I had a sister instead? I would hope not that much different but I always hear about other guys despising their sisters and it’s emulated in media quite often as well.

@Orange_Orange So in your own words, you were happy to give this manga a chance when you thought it focused on the plight of women but the moment it you see that it educates on the plight of men you assume there's no research and dismiss it as an incel spiel? That's a bit ironic isn't it?

It seems you need to open your mind beyond the spiel, that 'women are oppressed, men are the oppressors'. The whole point is there are 2 sides(of course there are issues affecting women) and this manga educates people on the issues affecting men which as a society we like to pretend don't exist. But they do.

@WhoCares
There's actually plenty of research to be found on the real-life issues depicted in this manga, as long as you don't turn a blind eye to it. It's wrong and insulting to dismissively assume 'no research done' the moment a particular social issue affecting others isn't convenient to your interests.
e.g. Gendered Economic Expectations of Men
Are you aware that we are experiencing a steep decline in marriage rate? Research shows the reason is women continue to choose men based on economic capability despite being financially independent now. In the past men used to earn more across the board, there was no problem and women 'married up', men were happy to marry down. But now women are earning more, they are much less willing to 'marry down' when the roles are reversed.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/dating/marriage-rates-decline-reason-economically-attractive-men-jobs-income-a9098956.html
https://www.inc.com/minda-zetlin/marriage-mismatch-husbands-wives-earnings-education-jobs.html

As a result, there's more economic pressure on men because of gendered expectations by women and society as a whole. Men are valued based on earning power. Men are thus more likely accept dangerous jobs in order to earn more money and 10 times more likely suffer workplace injury. https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2018/12/19/fatal-employment-men-10-times-more-likely-than-women-to-be-killed-at-work/#2855dd0852e8

To add insult, we then talk about the resulting 'wage gap' as though it's all about society being biased against women, despite women choosing men based on income and expecting men to earn more. We ignore the tremendous pressure forcing men to maximise their income at any cost - health/stress/freedom to choose passion over economic opportunity. The solution is always to give more 'affirmative action' benefits/opportunities exclusively to women. We only talk about 'gender ratio' in cushy executive roles but never for physically demanding/dangerous/dirty jobs where men are severely overrepresented e.g. construction workers, garbage collectors, sewer workers etc.

Don't get me wrong, I don't blame you because this one-sided narrative is heavily pushed by mainstream media. But you need to have an open mind in acknowledging social issues even when they are not convenient to your current beliefs and interests.

Fed-Kun's army
Generally I do not read titles where the primary setting is an Otome game, but this came as a genuine surprise. It's a slow start and I admit I had to go back and reread a couple parts that I only skimmed but after finishing the first 15 chapters I can quite safely say I believe that this deserves the 8+ rating it is currently sitting at.

As a Brit, I wholeheartedly endorse the enthesis on the tea throughout this manga.
Emphasis, but I like the look and sound of the other one better.

Fed-Kun's army
@jsjunkbox Weird to @ someone for a year-old comment made back when this manga only had two chapters up, but sure, why not.

I can't comment on gendered economic pressure in any society other than my own, but the idea behind the first two articles you linked—and all the studies they cited—is that marriages are on the decline because everybody's poor, marriage is expensive, and being single isn't as stigmatized anymore. Now that women have access to decently-paying jobs and are about as economically self-sufficient as anyone else, there isn't economic pressure to get married to somebody who can support you, either. Note that the articles didn't check what men looked for in a partner: we have no way of knowing what men are currently looking for in a marriage. Are their standards still the same as before? Or are they also looking for higher-paying partners, and this disinclination to marry down is a universal trend? Nobody involved with the studies checked. There isn't enough data to draw the conclusion that the blame for low marriage rates rests solely on women.

On the manga itself: if it hadn't been framed in a way that made it immediately obvious that the focus of the story was going to be on the protagonist dude leading a one-man crusade against The Unfairness Of It All instead of an interesting and even-handed depiction of the nuanced issues that would arise in a society where some of the expectations are swapped, I wouldn't have called it cartoon villainy by a fantasy matriarchy.
If you don't believe that's how it was framed, well...I don't think you'll believe me no matter what I say. I'm not really equal to the task of explaining narrative nuance to strangers on the internet who have no evidence that they should trust my eye for this stuff, y'know?

I enjoyed the manga so much that I went and read the 4 available LN volumes as well (the manga is in the early parts of volume 2), which is something I rarely do. And hot damn, I'm so glad I did, it's a blast and only gets better. My only regret is that I didn't start reading it earlier because I misunderstood the title thinking "mobs" was about monsters.

I'm sure the manga will continue being great too. I just hope that they also adapt the side stories with Leon and Marie too.

Fed-Kun's army
Yes, yes, yes! The Queen is here, were getting there. I love this series, currently reading V3 of the WebNovel.
Also who else is shipping Olivia and Angelica?

@Hamin
I'm the eldest of the four... 2 younger sisters and 1 younger brother.... We have 6 years gap between my 2nd sister. It's like 50% different when I'm with my brother...
We almost get into fights every time we meet, so, it's gets very irritating and since we meet each other frequently there's been built up stress/tension.

But in the end we're still sibling, we can't rid of each other.

The smugness is on point, had to binge up to the latest (15th) chp in one sitting. There's a bit of a world building hole/fail at present with the king seemingly being ruler in an otherwise draconian matriarchy.
@jsjunkbox men's rights and woman's rights both matter, it's not a competition. Obviously male suicide and overwork are problems, and the glass ceiling is also demonstrably a problem; it's good that people talk about both. At its core, feminism is about breaking down [all/i] unreasonable gendered expectations so it's very compatible with (even if not created for) mens' rights.

Aggregator gang
This is far more entertaining than it has any right to be. The synopsis sounds dumb, and the MC is OP and cheating as hard as he can, but some of the resolutions to various plot points have been screamingly funny and/or flat-out "nah, we're not doing that trope you expected".

At least the MC has a (somewhat) reasonable justification for not going for the girls, since he doesn't want to end up like his father. On that note, I do like that this series has managed so far to make it a "this system is terrible, and the people who buy into it become terrible" instead of "women are terrible" (which I feared from the synopsis). Frankly, the system doesn't seem too different from a male-dominated awful noble hierarchy, except the genders are different - it's got the same problems.

@ScotRotum

There's a bit of a world building hole/fail at present with the king seemingly being ruler in an otherwise draconian matriarchy.

It almost seems like the 'matriarchal' system only applies below a certain rank. The prince has certainly been able to order his fiance around, and the MC negotiated with the male heads of a high-ranking noble house to great effect at one point, so it almost seems like the system flips above a certain point in the ranking hierarchy. Some of the spoilers the WN/LN readers have been posting in the chapter threads say that the story does eventually explain the pieces that look like inconsistencies at this point, so I guess we'll just have to wait.

Atypical manga in the world of ISEKAI. This work is unisex and allows everyone to be interested. Very pleasant to read, with very funny passages. I highly recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread