Otoyomegatari

TSP

Group Leader
@SotiCoto

In Japan, demographics are a little different. For one, they do not focus on them like manga fans do outside of the country.
So you don't say "I like shoujo/seinen" manga. You will say things like "I like romance/action manga." Japan isn't a monolith though, of course,
but our translator has lived in Japan for a long time and she says that she's yet to meet anyone who doesn't get confused when she says things like "I like seinen manga".

So, it comes to no surprise that when used to categorize magazines, the categorization can often be seemingly arbitrary.
We would call Harta (the mag)... Seinen but for women xD

Banned
@TSP : Okay... so this is a slice-of-life manga about ethnic housewives doing ethnic housewifey things... mostly involving marriage, cooking and sewing. I'd hate to imagine what else is in this supposedly seinen magazine that could be thematically comparable to that.

What you describe is certainly odd though... I'd say that these age/gender categories have more internally in common than... say... romance manga as a category. I mean someone reading the typical shounen rom-com primarily consisting of slipping and falling into boobs repeatedly isn't likely to have much interest in yaoi... for instance.

TSP

Group Leader
@SotiCoto

Often times it's just the publisher's tastes. Harta over anything else is more of an atmospheric magazine.
That is to say, a lot of their series fall under one of two similar atmospheres.

I would actually argue that Seinen and Shounen are not very homogeneous at all. Rather, it's really only
Shoujo and Josei that have huge similarities, but even then there is of course a lot of variety.

We release a series called "Horimiya" which is in GFantasy.
The magazine is officially marked as shounen, but it's really "shounen but for girls",
so this is a pretty common practice. I see it happening less in Josei and much less in Shoujo, though.

Banned
TSP :
The magazine is officially marked as shounen, but it's really "shounen but for girls",
So... spiky-haired girls tripping over and landing on huge dicks? Or dramatic homemade valentines chocolate tournaments for the fate of the world?

TSP

Group Leader
@SotiCoto

-Action that's kind of "emotional in a feminine way"
-Black Butler (the series)... How do we even classify this one lol
-Slice of life but boys are guys that male readers would enjoy self-inserting themselves too

I guess...?

Dex-chan lover
@TSP Sorta like how Magic Knights Rayearth was shounen but also for girls, and Sailor Moon was shoujo but also for boys?

TSP

Group Leader
@Amariithynar

I'm afraid I cannot speak on those series as I don't know anything about the magazines they were serialized!

Dex-chan lover
@TSP
I meant more the content and how they were written rather than the magazines they came in, but Nakayoshi did Cardcaptor Sakura, Sailor Moon, Magic Knights Rayearth, and more; in fact, Osamu Tezuka wrote Princess Knight for them, which could be said to be one of the foundational works of the shoujo genre!

Ner

I love this manga. Unlike most works of the West and East, she has her own view of cultures usually ignored by ordinary authors.
And even if they do show, they look like 100% pure evil, who can only rob and kill goodies
I especially like that the characters in the manga are not disguised guys and girls of the 20th or 21st century in the setting of Turkey - Central Asia. And the full-fledged inhabitants of their countries: a 12-year-old child marries a 20-year-old girl, a happy ending for the widow to become a second wife, the widow passes to her husband's brothers as their "new" wife in turn, a 10-year-old child kills a ram, etc.
Another time, another culture, different customs and the same happy people
They may be romanticized, but this is much better than another show of dirty poor cruel barbarians against Europeans / Chinese / Japanese or other settled peoples around them

I read this manga after finishing Sir Burton's Arabian Nights, and honestly the research behind it is amazing

Aggregator gang
Amazing art & story Its one of the best manga I've read in years definitely something you should read.

i've purchased the first 12 volume here in the states and will do so again when the 13th is out. I wish i can directly send payment to the author.

Users who are viewing this thread