Overlord

@Rapala101 this's the only site where we post these chapters in (we also give the OC discord server an early viewing of the chapters).

We are very sorry about this chapter delay our IRL stuff stood in the way of releasing it in time.

I've been wanting to start reading it's novel, but heard that the author might stop writing it because of the piracy and shit. Is that still possible? Has he said anything after that? Will he drop it or was it all talk? Don't wanna start reading it and get hooked on it just to find out it will never finish

Whyyyy is the anime so ahead and manga so slow on releases... Im gère since it started its super but too slow... 😭

Fed-Kun's army
I dont know why but I feel like this manga is all over the place, even tho its interesting in its own way

Fed-Kun's army
I don't really get why this manga is so highly rated, unless people just love the anime and the LN and use them to fill in all the huge plot skips, unexplained characterization, and glacial pacing.

Dex-chan lover
@PyroclasticFlow Pacing is shit because it copies the novel. Characterization suffers because of the same reason. I don't mean it's a problem of comic format, more like the artist skipped some stage of conversion and optimization before adapting the novel into the manga. Maruyama is not the best writer; it's a mistake to use his text as a reference so literally.
But the artist is good, so I rated this manga high just to show respect for his artistic skills. Maybe its honest rating is 7. Anime isn't worthy of mentioning, except for seiyuus and ost compositor's work (and design of characters, but it wasn't Madhouse's merit), everything else is crap.

Fed-Kun's army
@vodkavodka I haven't seen the anime but figure it's along the lines of sword art: hooked a lot of people with decent production value, good enough setting, "dark edgy such a badboy uwu so powerful senpai" main character, but it's just trashy and non-cohesive if you give it any critical thought

I agree the art is good, though. A shame the source material is unworthy.

So basically it seems that there is no actually good incarnation of this story, it's just a project that gained steam somehow and has continued under that undeserved momentum

Dex-chan lover
@PyroclasticFlow At least SAO's anime adaptation has a better quality. Maybe the story suffers from many problems, but Kawahara launched it in 2002. Since then he rewrote the first ark and his Alicization at least is not bad. Well, except for a cringy 'gaijins on a submarine' part. SAO together with .hack started the VRMMO genre basically. In 2002 it was very 'novel', what Kawahara was writing; knowing this, I can forgive him for using shitty tropes. Alas, SAO's manga adaptation is garbage.

Now, Overlord started in 2010... The internet and bookshops were overflowing with isekai light novels (anti-hero included) by then, just pick any 20 and study them. So why Overlord suffers from such a juvenile problem as shitty pacing? Why the editor has ignored it when LN got published? Was Maruyama a pioneer of his genre? No. Does he even like his own novel? No, more like he got tired of it a long time ago. Maruyama was even blaming the English community for pirating his shit, with a remark that his motivation is gone because of it.

As you can see, there are not much similarities between SAO and Overlord. If you'll ask me to name one, both have excellent illustrators. Sao has Abec (though it isn't its first illustrator) and Overlord has So-bin. Looking at how much fan arts Overlord generated, So-bin is a major contributor (if not the only one) to Overlord's success.

@vodkavodka I never read so much non sense to defend a crappy piece of media. If you like SAO is OK just don't try to sell it as something amazing because it isn't. Alicization (at least the anime) has A LOT of shortcomings (which I can state if you want.)

On the other hand, Overlord pacing isn't "shitty", is different, which is its greatest strength and what makes it unique: it uses worldbuilding and weak characters to bring "humanity" which acts as a contrast to the MC that is losing it.
If you want to shit on its production quality do it, nobody can defend it, but the story is way more interesting than SAO's.

But remove the nostalgia googles. If you want to add an * right next to the name and say it was one of the first and we should give it credit for it, do it. But it didn't age well and, like I already said, the story I saw on Alicization ends up falling to the same problems: bring some "complex" looking situation that ends up being solved by: "Kirito is the chonsen one, you either get better by being his friend or you are a bad guy."

Dex-chan lover
@lulehcam
Please, calling 'Lizardmens', 'Dwarfs', and 'Paladin' arcs just different is no better than calling SAO a masterpiece. The first two are simply unnecessary, and the third one shouldn't be two-books in length. If it isn't a shitty pace, then what? Though the multiple POV is ok, I don't mind it at all.
Regarding SAO, it's true that I like it. No, it isn't anything amazing, call it 'garbage' if you need it. But not the ultimate garbage, contrary to popular belief. I can't help but try and defend it when I see fit.

Users who are viewing this thread